Thread: Getting Bored?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm still enjoying it. but if I end up getting bored, I'll just stop playing for a while. get a break and do other stuff. and come back when new content's out/when I'm not burned out anymore.

the power of no sub

Quote Originally Posted by Kickinwing View Post
    I know there is plenty of content to do, I'm just not enjoying it anymore. Anyone else feeling the same?
    I think if I was playing the game without a group of friends I'd be bored. But since I don't and my friends are just as willing to try out the dungeons and WvW and gear up for them both I guess I won't be bored for a long time.

Mainly we are all about WvW. So many laughs while playing. Listening to idiots commanders, watching enemies jump off cliffs to avoid being ganked only to be scorpion wired back and then pounced on. Or to get my hammer out and punt them off ledges. Even fights around the jumping puzzles are good fun (and can be frustrating as well, but all's fair in pvp)

The PvE part of it is slowing wearing off mainly beause I have seen most of it, but there are still hidden parts to the world and jumping puzzles to try out. Dungeons are yet to come and WvW is still as strong as ever.

bored - not yet.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've really enjoyed and am still enjoying it. Its a very "casual" friendly game, and honestly doesn't take a lot of effort to do well in. Plus there is a ton of variety of things to do. I think the first month I didn't even touch PvE, I just did sPvP. Now its the other way around. The best part is that I'll never be "behind" in either arena. I can log on to my PvP Thief and not feel like I have fallen behind on the gear treadmill. Its really nice.

My only real complaint is the weakness of the story and dialogue. Not only is the personal story weak, but the individual zone stories are pretty dull too. That being said, what keeps me interested is the level of detail in each zone. Nothing looks recycled and every inch looks unique. I've got about 50% map completion and am still stunned by the scenary.

One point I also want to mention, a previous poster commented on the recycled DE. I notice this happening sporatically, not consistantly. My biggest gripe is they seem to recycle when I've done my daily Event quota, but if I am trying to find events to do to complete it then they never pop! Must be Murphy's Law. =)

I haven't played it enough to get bored.Have had the game since the 2nd week of release. Only have 1 toon, which is my Charr Ranger and he just hit lvl 21 yesterday. I hop in play for a bit (1-2 hours) and hop out to do other things. This is how I fully intend on playing the game and w/out a sub I don't feel obligated to get my $'s worth.

I wish there was more to the PVE side of things as in Raids but I was fully aware of that upon purchase. The game is still great to me, I am just having a blast in MOP right now. So, the beauty in it is that it will be there, waiting patiently for me when I yet again get bored of other games or want to do Spvp, WvWvW, and/or level a bit.

Everything should be done in moderation or you will get burned out. If you were to eat $1000 Steaks of the absolute best cut everyday, 3 times a day, it is only a matter of time until a White Castle shit burger starts to sound better. Take a break and come back later, because you can at zero loss of progression or investment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... you haven't reached the max lvl, you haven't seeing all the content GW2 have to offer..., i think you just need to find some friends in the game to talk with and to play with, it makes everything fun... even when there's nothing fun to do XD

Guild Wars is awesome. Know why? You can get bored, do something else, come back later, and start having fun again! I did it many times in Guild Wars 1 and I do not think that is a quality of a bad game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Dont say your not bored if your not lvl 80 yet, its kind of redundant considering the boredom starts at max level.
    What is this even supposed to mean? Do you actually believe this statement?

Boredom starts the moment someone has had enough of something. There is no prerequisite for boredom, end of discussion.

lack of gold is what is turning me away from this game tbh

i am just doing pvp with different professions atm

Oh also 1-17 zones are so boring that i cant get past these to lvl an alt. I am pretty sure i will be able to if i ever get past those.

Why should anyone treat an M M O as a single player RPG in terms of how much you play it, ANet lied their asses off with how revolutionary this game would be and as a result you have nothing to strive towards besides maybe SPvP but thats only if you love PvP enough to get dragon rank or something.
    Tell me where they said it was revolutionary. They didn't lie. The problem for a lot of people is that GW2 is suited more towards casual play (not casual players but play). People pay once and can log on when they want to and play some more. A lot of people bought the game and then spent hundreds of hours within a month in the game. That sort of defeats the purpose a bit from a casual play perspective because there is only so much content that a company can create in a reasonable amount of time.

The reason why people say compare it to a RPG is because if the casual nature of the game. I would take that one step further. Any game you buy will give you a certain amount of enjoyment in hours. Subscription based MMO's unfortunately don't let you come back to the game without paying again. This encourages people to really put every waking minute into the game. When this is used with GW2, you get the situation where people have spent more than 200 hours in a month an a half in game. That's about as much as someone would spend on a full time job. For a subscription based MMO, they use the income to create more content such as raids and reset the progression grind periodically. RPG's are different, you don't pay to play monthly. You buy the game up front and play when you want. RPG's typically give you about 50 hours of game time before they start to get stale. GW2 gives far more than that so it's almost unfair to compare it to a RPG but it does give you all of the benefits of a RPG. Play when you want, no falling behind and new content periodically for a expansion fee. It's like the best of both worlds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why should anyone treat an M M O as a single player RPG in terms of how much you play it[...]
    Games are games, they have the same value for me at least these days. I used to play WoW, exclusively, fully committed and occupying a fair share of my life. Before that it was EVE Online. I am happy these days are over, therefore a MMO should not have a higher rank than a singleplayer or non-MMO multiplayer game for me.
    I acknowledge most of the issues raised by players which the game has and I usually also take MMO marketing with a grain of salt if not ignoring it because I prefer substance over promises. However I've played enough MMOs by now to know how the usual cycle goes in the beginning and I'd have been very surprised if GW2 would have been exempt from this. It would have been almost inhuman if it passed as flawless and unrivalled gem on the MMO sky. No MMO will ever be that as it's not within their multi-system-based nature to be released in anything other than an improved and playable development stage.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Don't think I have logged in for a solid week now.
    It isn't that I'm getting bored - it is that I am just older.
    The "addictive" gameplay habbits have taken a back seat to real life. And that is just fine.
    I have over 100 hours in (not a lot I know) but for the price I already got my money's worth. I spent 60 dollars on battle field 3 for 6 hours of campaign.
    I'm incredibly happy with GW2.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    To put it bluntly; If it had a monthly fee, I would have canceled.
    ^ this for me as well.

there is obviously flaws in this game and it just keeps me from wanting to continue playing it. the worst part is, i have that feeling like I did with WoW where i just have no desire to log in at all. and its sad because this game is new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not bored at all My engineer isn't even 80 and I have less than 50% world completion, not to mention the only dungeons I have done are AC and CM, so there's plenty to do until Christmas...at least. Been doing a mix of PvE/leveling, sPvP and WvW. Enough to keep me interested
    Last edited by arukas; 2012-10-10 at 08:43 PM.
    Arukas

I honestly think some of the people "getting bored" so fast are of the younger generation, where they are used to having constant entertainment choices and have certain "expectations" of all MMO's and games alike. Others are bored because they rushed to 80, instead of enjoying the process to get there. While for the rest, GW2 just didn't offer what they wanted, which is fine, not every game is going to appeal to every person. I am not bored at all, this game is perfect for me. I have obligations outside of video games, so being able to play this casually is great.

If you are bored with GW2, the great thing is you can step away for a while and come back later. No subscription fee means you don't feel obligated to log in every day. Find a new game in the meantime.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    To put it bluntly; If it had a monthly fee, I would have canceled.
    That's pretty much every new MMO these days. WoW is the only one that is going to sustain a subscription-based model now. Others may start off with a subscription, but they will have to convert to F2P with a cash shop in order to survive. I think it's dumb for MMO's to require a subscription fee today, it just doesn't work anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    I honestly think some of the people "getting bored" so fast are of the younger generation, where they are used to having constant entertainment choices and have certain "expectations" of all MMO's and games alike. Others are bored because they rushed to 80, instead of enjoying the process to get there. While for the rest, GW2 just didn't offer what they wanted, which is fine, not every game is going to appeal to every person. I am not bored at all, this game is perfect for me. I have obligations outside of video games, so being able to play this casually is great.

If you are bored with GW2, the great thing is you can step away for a while and come back later. No subscription fee means you don't feel obligated to log in every day. Find a new game in the meantime.

That's pretty much every new MMO these days. WoW is the only one that is going to sustain a subscription-based model now. Others may start off with a subscription, but they will have to convert to F2P with a cash shop in order to survive. I think it's dumb for MMO's to require a subscription fee today, it just doesn't work anymore.
    I just turned 31 (TODAY, yay me :P) so I definitely don't qualify as a bored younger generation person.

I definitely took it slower leveling in GW2 than I have in other games as well where I've tended to rush and I still have 2 80s in 1.5 months, finished world completion and almost a full set of exotic gear on my main and am just feeling like there isn't much left to do to keep my attention. I play lots of MMOs that I quit and end up coming back to later, I always put my accounts on lockdown and never let anyone else near them so that I can be sure I can go back to them when I want to without having to start all over. I'm planning on getting MoP at the end of the month which means I probably won't be playing GW2 much anymore for the time being, at least until they add new content. I think the disappointment I have is that there was just so little available to keep it from getting stale in the first place.

If I'm being completely honest I think perhaps what I'm lacking is raiding and I knew that GW2 wouldn't have that aspect to it, neither did my last game Aion. The only games I've ever paid a subscription for were games that had a raid-based PvE set up to them...WoW and Rift. Despite it's naysayers, Rift is still releasing expansions, still has raids, and still has a monthly subscription fee doesn't it? I haven't played in over a year so I can't say how the content is now but perhaps people being willing to pay subs has to do with the specific raiding aspect of MMOs, and if the game doesn't have that aspect it won't survive without the F2P/cash shop model?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Tell me where they said it was revolutionary.
    http://db.tt/P9MzriEt
    Main website. Even ss by my phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    I just turned 31 (TODAY, yay me :P) so I definitely don't qualify as a bored younger generation person.

I definitely took it slower leveling in GW2 than I have in other games as well where I've tended to rush and I still have 2 80s in 1.5 months, finished world completion and almost a full set of exotic gear on my main and am just feeling like there isn't much left to do to keep my attention. I play lots of MMOs that I quit and end up coming back to later, I always put my accounts on lockdown and never let anyone else near them so that I can be sure I can go back to them when I want to without having to start all over. I'm planning on getting MoP at the end of the month which means I probably won't be playing GW2 much anymore for the time being, at least until they add new content. I think the disappointment I have is that there was just so little available to keep it from getting stale in the first place.

If I'm being completely honest I think perhaps what I'm lacking is raiding and I knew that GW2 wouldn't have that aspect to it, neither did my last game Aion. The only games I've ever paid a subscription for were games that had a raid-based PvE set up to them...WoW and Rift. Despite it's naysayers, Rift is still releasing expansions, still has raids, and still has a monthly subscription fee doesn't it? I haven't played in over a year so I can't say how the content is now but perhaps people being willing to pay subs has to do with the specific raiding aspect of MMOs, and if the game doesn't have that aspect it won't survive without the F2P/cash shop model?
    Yep, and that, to me, shows that they're doing something right. Same with WoW. Some people might believe that subscription is wrong just because...well, it's their personal opinion, but I do honestly believe that MOST fans of both WoW and Rift, would want to keep the subscription. If a game with the strength to provide for the players has a sub fee, the players will want to pay to take part of that content. It's no different than joining a club for some other hobby really where you pay a member's fee.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    http://db.tt/P9MzriEt
    Main website. Even ss by my phone!
    Yep, I remember seeing a lot of this as well. But just like with the playerbase making it out to be the pinnacle of challenge, I took that with a HUGE grain of salt. To me there's only been one revolution in gaming, and that was on a personal level :3.

No doubt a lot of people taking it completely seriously were disappointed though, unless they felt it on a personal level with this game which some no doubt did.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-10-10 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    but I do honestly believe that MOST fans of both WoW and Rift, would want to keep the subscription.
    For me anyways you are very correct. If Rift were to go f2p or some sort of cash shop format I'd cancel my sub and never look back. With that being said they earn their sub fee (I only pay $8.25 a month for my sub) so if an MMO is actually sub-based they have to work for their players.

OT: I gave GW2 a go I don't hate it or anything it just had very little staying power for me the PVE is just to bland for my liking. I guess I'm spoiled by sub-based MMO that throws tons of new content at me every 4 to 6 weeks. If some people can get months of enjoyment out of GW2 all the power to them! As far as I'm concerned the fact the GW2 doesn't have sub does not give it free pass for it's shortcomings as I see them.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-10-10 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    I honestly think some of the people "getting bored" so fast are of the younger generation, where they are used to having constant entertainment choices and have certain "expectations" of all MMO's and games alike.
    This might be true to some extent. Yet the other side of it is consumers [regardless of age] are not really in the wrong for expecting deep &/or long term content in their MMOs.

A huge part of the gimmick of MMOs is they are games played perpetually. Demanding a high amount of commitment. That's sorta the entire point of the genre's gameplay -- purpose, even.

That isn't to say one can't play GW long term. Many did so in GW1. Even now-- like me, I still play GW1. However, the expectation that one would be able to invest deeply over an extended length of time in an MMO is not unreasonable.

Likely that a lot of people just weren't fully dialed into the fact that all the games in the Guild Wars series are casual play focused. Might be marketing. Might be age. Might be none of those and simply GW2 is not the game for many folks.

Just like Guild Wars 1.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-10 at 09:09 PM.

I'd like to clarify a little. By being bored, I don't mean I can't find anything to do. I know what there is to do in the game. My guild is pretty active in wvw so sometimes I do that, I do pve content, crafting, etc etc etc. My boredom doesn't come from a lack of things to do, I'm just not enjoying the content.

Secondly, I am eagerly awaiting content updates and fixes for miscellaneous things, and I'm sure I'll continue following the development of the game and the course it takes, and log in from time to time. Although, as this is 'supposed' to be an mmo, I'm not getting the hook that most mmos have that keep you playing. I hope they'll work on this, though I don't know how the would implement a 'hook' with their current design philosophy. Though I do think it would help with others who are similarly bored/disenchanted with the game atm.