Thread: Getting Bored?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    So... this game is made on a vinyl, with starbucks stores everywhere and nutella on our homemade loaf? Seems interesting.
    Haha.

Keep the hipster thing going guys. It amuses me.

The fact of the subscription fee pressure is quite simple, you pay for a whole month when you just want to play for a few days, you get f'd up with the time you're not on (for people who don't have much money it's an issue). There were some games that actually sold you gametime, sounds interesting but bad at the same time (overpricing, happened on RO)
    It's really more the gear thing than $. If $ is an issue the problem isn't the game itself- but the player's dilemma.

Sometimes people choose to play the wrong type of games for them and base criticism on that faulty decision.

It's really more the gear thing than $. If $ is an issue the problem isn't the game itself- but the player's dilemma.

Sometimes people choose to play the wrong type of games for them and base criticism on that faulty decision.
    Even the gear thing is largely a self-imposed pressure in most MMO's nowadays. It's not like old school EQ or something where you REALLY could fall behind on gear because there just wasn't any way to get it other than actually killing bosses.

It's actually a lot like the Tier 9 example I posted about in another thread...it wasn't that the fights themselves sucked, it was that people had this pressure they placed on themselves to simply never stop running it because there were four different lockouts to clear.

I'm glad that playing GW2 removes a lot of that pressure from people, though. Just a shame that people consistantly ruin their own gaming experiences with illusions of "pressure". Maybe that's why a lot of the talk around here confuses me...the way that people say they play GW2 is the same way I've played any MMO. I just never placed those weights on my shoulders.

Well, that's sort of irrelevant.

Sure it is easier to catch up in a theme park MMOs these days- but the design conceit exist regardless. Doesn't matter what sideways or fast track systems for catching up exist. The design of tiered progression at the end of game of a number of theme park MMOs is perpetual & compulsory.

Sure it is easier to catch up in a theme park MMOs these days- but the design conceit exist regardless. Doesn't matter what sideways or fast track systems for catching up exist. The design of tiered progression at the end of game of a number of theme park MMOs is perpetual & compulsory.
    It's not just easier. There's little - if any - "catching up" that actually goes on in modern MMO's for the most part. Hell, with the introduction of LFR a given character is "raid ready" just by hitting max level.

I'll just make up a percentage and say that I'd bet at least 95% of all "need to get gear" pressure that people feel is entirely self-imposed for no reason whatsoever. It's why you get the "Gearscore Culture", because people have the belief that you MUST have more gear to do anything. More, more, more gear. Hit an enrage timer? Someone needed more gear. Tank died? Someone needed more gear. Adds didn't die? Someone needed more gear. Wiped for any reason? Someone needed more gear.

You can see it constantly in pugs and poorly progressed guilds, and frankly it's something that people in better progressed guilds tend to get a laugh out of. When you see people saying that in order to do instance X you NEED better gear than the instance even drops...it's pretty funny.

TL;DR: There is absolutely no reason at all that you can't play "standard" MMO's with the same no-pressure attitude that you play GW2 with. (With some exceptions - sure you won't get to raid with Paragon if you just want to log in and goof off once a week.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's not just easier. There's little - if any - "catching up" that actually goes on in modern MMO's for the most part. Hell, with the introduction of LFR a given character is "raid ready" just by hitting max level.
    Raid ready is not really what I am talking about here. It too is irrelevant.

The entire model of design in a gear based MMO, which World of Warcraft is-- is based on continual progression of character power. The very first quest series in WoW reveals the entirety of it's game design. A masterstroke of game design, actually.

But there is no option. To play the game as designed one is on a track [however long it takes does not matter] to acquire greater power. Forever. Within the context of popular theme park MMOs that is measured by progression systems pre and post the final level advancement; gear, AA/PA, SPCs, etc.

To play World of Warcraft properly [or TOR or Rift] you are advancing through ranks of gear in a tiered system. This is not opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Haha.

Keep the hipster thing going guys. It amuses me.

Well I'm wearing my squared glasses, need more hipsterism, maybe a chain clock will do just fine.

To play World of Warcraft properly [or TOR or Rift] you are advancing through ranks of gear in a tiered system. This is not opinion.
    Well sure, but the way that it's approached and implemented is still important. It's on a spectrum. Just because there's tiers of power and ranks and whatnot doesn't mean that if you don't log in for a week that you're doomed. Or that you must log in every day or you're doomed. The pressures felt to "keep up" or "advance" are almost entirely created by the player, not the game, in the case of WoW and TOR (I dunno about Rift, really.)

So yeah, that's why when I hear people talking about how they love that there's no pressure in GW2, that they can just log out for a week and come back, that boggles me. I played WoW and TOR the exact same way and never fell behind or felt like I was losing my money. (except for the times when I willingly chose to adopt a raiding schedule, but again...that wasn't pressure, that was my choice and I was REALLY choosy about guilds.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well sure, but the way that it's approached and implemented is still important. It's on a spectrum. Just because there's tiers of power and ranks and whatnot doesn't mean that if you don't log in for a week that you're doomed. Or that you must log in every day or you're doomed.
    Well, I don't disagree with you on this really. It really isn't that dire. To go back to EQ for a moment; frankly, most MMOs these days are made for children by comparison.

Even so, the actual game system of tiered progression is what leads to a feeling of pressure. The degree of which varies person to person. Is what it is though.

The monetary concern is 100% out of game and thus unworthy of discussion.

bored to tears by GW2. I want my money back somehow it feels like a total waste

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    bored to tears by GW2. I want my money back somehow it feels like a total waste
    Call mommy to give you moar money for subs.

sorry, I feel ripped off by this Arenanet company, I requested a refund, simple as that

Dude, you were talking crap about this game way before today. Why didn't you get your refund then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    sorry, I feel ripped off by this Arenanet company, I requested a refund, simple as that
    Sorry i feel ripped off by steam when they don't refund, but i don't go errywhere crying like a fat kiddo that lost his candy...

If you want to cry your ass off, go to a-net forums and QQ a bit more.

Alright that's enough.

When ya'll respond to so-called "trolls" or negative opinion threads/posts eager to defend the game's honor-- you are making a mistake.

Don't feed you-know-what, don't engage in petty argument or name-calling or any of that stuff. Report and move on.

--Fencers

Oh noes, someone doesn't like the game I like. I better insult them... Seriously wtf is wrong with the mmo community nowadays?

Mod Edit: See post #254.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-21 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Oh noes, someone doesn't like the game I like. I better insult them... Seriously wtf is wrong with the mmo community nowadays?
    I love you. wtf is wrong with love?