Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unbelievable... TENNESSEE hands down a progressive ruling...

Source: http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/152778/

It's just a short blurb so here it is.

IN TENNESSEE, justice for victims of paternity fraud. “The Tennessee Supreme Court has ruled in favor of a man who was misled into thinking he had fathered a son and ordered that he be awarded more than $25,000 for child support, medical expenses and insurance premiums he had paid. In a unanimous ruling published Monday, the court said Tennessee law allows a former spouse to pursue a fraud claim against a mother who misrepresented the identity of a child’s biological father.”

Am I missing something? THe man was the victim of fraud and now he is getting justice.... (I dont like using the word justice like this but I can't for the life of me find the word im looking for)
    What's so unbelievable?
    Last edited by blaqkmagick; 2012-10-10 at 01:02 AM.

Step in the right direction if you ask me..
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a great ruling.

Not sure how this would be considered progressive. If someone has been found to commit fraud, the party that was wronged showed be paid what they lost and the fradulent party should be spending some time in jail as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    Am I missing something? THe man was the victim of fraud and now he is getting justice.... (I dont like using the word justice like this but I can't for the life of me find the word im looking for)
    What's so unbelievable?
    Men who are the victims of paternity fraud are lucky to have their orders for future child support overturned, much less restitution paid. That's what's so unbelievable.

Same thing should be done to people who false accuse of assault, rape, etc etc etc.

I mean Christ... a man can be raped and still have to pay child support if a kid is the result of the rape.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1761333

Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    Am I missing something? THe man was the victim of fraud and now he is getting justice....
    What's so unbelievable?
    I think that he is trying to imply that he is shocked that such as reasonable ruling could come from Tennessee, since some of our elected officials are quite obviously crazy.

It's really quite sad, most people who live in Tenn. are normal, reasonable people.

Good ruling if this is so outrageous as some people think it is. Why do those same people usually see no problem with Joe Walsh failing to pay his dues in child support for years.

More rulings and legislation that protects the innocents is a GOOD thing but common sense like this is known to upset the extreme right wing movement in the USA and elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by trink202 View Post
    I think that he is trying to imply that he is shocked that such as reasonable ruling could come from Tennessee, since some of our elected officials are quite obviously crazy.

It's really quite sad, most people who live in Tenn. are normal, reasonable people.
    It's not just Tennessee. All across the country you see bullshit alimony/child support rulings against men. Men who've proven they're not the biological father of the child ordered to continue paying support. Men who had their support orders overturned but have no right for restitution as the court determined "it was the child support system that was defrauded, not the man".

It's endless. This is the first time I've seen ANYTHING resembling a fair ruling for men who've been defrauded in child support cases.

Excellent ruling, accountability is something this society needs.

Quote Originally Posted by trink202 View Post

Just because we see so much idiotic rulings from our courts trying to cave into to the extreme right wing agenda that is getting pushed upon us means they are shocked that a court for once is doing its job and that they must think damn liberal judges standing up for what is right.

And while we're on the subject of advancements in gender equality, here's something the US could learn from the EU.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-approves.html

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's not just Tennessee. All across the country you see bullshit alimony/child support rulings against men. Men who've proven they're not the biological father of the child ordered to continue paying support. Men who had their support orders overturned but have no right for restitution as the court determined "it was the child support system that was defrauded, not the man".

It's endless. This is the first time I've seen ANYTHING resembling a fair ruling for men who've been defrauded in child support cases.
    So be happy the more liberal judges we can get on the bench the better the country will be. We have a serious risk of losing Roe vs Wade in the upcoming years and when it is gone it will be gone forever. Except if you are rich and pay to get your daughters etc to go to Canada or Europe to have the procedure done. As for poor people it will be back to the back alley and the coat hangers, great progression from the conservatives dont you think? Having to have battles that your grandmothers fought and won 50 years ago having to redo them again just shows that your FREEDOM is so fragile it can get lost by just voting for the wrong guy, the guy that is literally in bed with the ultra conservative christian extremists in this country. And i let you decide who they will vote for in this election The one they vote for is the one you should vote against even if you cant stand him on all other issues.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, the thread title gave me the impression you thought this was a bad ruling. I was confused as hell there for a moment.

Great ruling and great news, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    So be happy the more liberal judges we can get on the bench the better the country will be. We have a serious risk of losing Roe vs Wade in the upcoming years and when it is gone it will be gone forever. Except if you are rich and pay to get your daughters etc to go to Canada or Europe to have the procedure done. As for poor people it will be back to the back alley and the coat hangers, great progression from the conservatives dont you think? Having to have battles that your grandmothers fought and won 50 years ago having to redo them again just shows that your FREEDOM is so fragile it can get lost by just voting for the wrong guy, the guy that is literally in bed with the ultra conservative christian extremists in this country. And i let you decide who they will vote for in this election The one they vote for is the one you should vote against even if you cant stand him on all other issues.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the religious right being in charge of the conservative party for much longer. I'd say they have another 20-30 years before they start being outnumbered by atheists/agnostics based on current data.

I think the OP thinks it's unbelievable that Tennessee would make such a progressive ruling given Tennessee's reputation as a state.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    That's ridiculous and nothing short of fear mongering. You should be ashamed.

As someone from TN, who lives in Nashville, TN is not like it's portrayed. Nashville is one of the most eclectic cities I have ever lived in or visited.

However, this isn't exactly a liberal or progressive (by the current definition) ruling and arguing for either point is pretty asinine. For what it's worth, our Supreme Court is 3 - 2 women to men. It is, however, a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Men who are the victims of paternity fraud are lucky to have their orders for future child support overturned, much less restitution paid. That's what's so unbelievable.
    Oh that's what you're saying is unbelievable lol. I thought you meant the judgement was unjust. Men are so biased against in the legal system.