Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The next MMO RPG

So what is the next "big" MMO RPG to hit the stores? Just curious to see what majority of people are looking forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    the World of Real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Titan if it proves not to be the cashgrab I hope it won't be. Other than that, Elder Scrolls. My expectations for the latter aren't actually that high, but who knows, they could nail it

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Titan if it proves not to be the cashgrab I hope it won't be. Other than that, Elder Scrolls. My expectations for the latter aren't actually that high, but who knows, they could nail it
    I'm gonna play it regardless. I'm an Elder Scrolls fanboy...........I imagine its gonna get torn apart though.

To hit stores? None of them. I can't think of another retail MMO that I'm excited for. All the upcoming MMO's I'm interested in that I can think of are F2P/Freemium. Heck, I can't think of the next confirmed retail MMO that's coming out other than the FFXIV re-release. I'm not including expansion packs in this though.

I'm looking forward to Sassafrass. It is the next evolution in rhythm-based gameplay! You play a beginning jazz musician trying to compete in a world already saturated with musicians. Beginning locations are New Orleans, Paris, and Sydney. Classes are based on the role you play in the band, so Singer (Crooner in game), Trumpet, Trombone, and Base Guitar are just some of the classes. Then once you reach level 20, you can expand into prestige classes such as 'Ska, Progressive, and Blues'. You tour the world, playing for fans, and all the bands are completely player driven, so if you have the skills to be the best, you can be! Meanwhile other classes include 'music executive, agent, and security/roadie' to help keep it close to a real-life experience. It's going to be great!

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I'm looking forward to Sassafrass. It is the next evolution in rhythm-based gameplay! You play a beginning jazz musician trying to compete in a world already saturated with musicians. Beginning locations are New Orleans, Paris, and Sydney. Classes are based on the role you play in the band, so Singer (Crooner in game), Trumpet, Trombone, and Base Guitar are just some of the classes. Then once you reach level 20, you can expand into prestige classes such as 'Ska, Progressive, and Blues'. You tour the world, playing for fans, and all the bands are completely player driven, so if you have the skills to be the best, you can be! Meanwhile other classes include 'music executive, agent, and security/roadie' to help keep it close to a real-life experience. It's going to be great!
    wat...
    /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Would there be two factions in pvp, "record companies" and "artists" ?
    Facile pi?

BEWARE:

I get annoyed easily by people who are slow-minded, and people who spell badly. Oh, and if you want to use the "not my first language" excuse, it isn't mine either.

Deleted
    After SWTOR and arguably GW2 I think people in general are a lot more cynical about the MMO genre. Had it been announced two years ago I think we'd be seeing plenty of hype about TES:O but now? After statements like "We dunno how to innovate more, sorry" people are just sighing and plodding along, rather than making out how amazing it will be as they might have done before.

TOR was such a huge flop that I doubt we'll see a big budget MMO release that isn't from Blizzard in a long time. Investors will be terrified of them now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    After SWTOR and arguably GW2 I think people in general are a lot more cynical about the MMO genre. Had it been announced two years ago I think we'd be seeing plenty of hype about TES:O but now? After statements like "We dunno how to innovate more, sorry" people are just sighing and plodding along, rather than making out how amazing it will be as they might have done before.

TOR was such a huge flop that I doubt we'll see a big budget MMO release that isn't from Blizzard in a long time. Investors will be terrified of them now.
    Mop is copping just as much flack as gw2 depends on personal choice at the end of the day
    The eldar scrolls has potenial but i guess its how much they fall onto the same old crap
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    I think SWTOR was a huge wake-up call to the industry and the genre. I think the majority are realising that there will not be another WoW, because WoW was an anamolly that built up too much inertia over the years.

I don't think you will find many boxed MMORPG's in stores in the future. I think the shift will go towards F2P models that are more specialized (not build to appeal to the 10 million WoW crowd). I also think people are starting to realize that a lot of MMO players are disgruntle and unhappy with the genre, but too "addicted" (tongue-in-cheek) to admit it. I think a lot of MMO's have catered to this crowd with things that they said they wanted, expending a lot of resources on a crowd destined to leave.

I don't think the GW2 model of B2P will be quite as relevant to the majority of developers.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Mop is copping just as much flack as gw2 depends on personal choice at the end of the day
    The eldar scrolls has potenial but i guess its how much they fall onto the same old crap
    Speaking of MoP, its interesting for me to hear how many people say they are bored or unhappy with it...but continue to play it every day. Again, I use the "addict" term very loosely.

TOR, GW2, TES and a few other MMOs + D3 and Pandas did one thing: for the next one, two, or more, years, ppl probably won't get soo much hyped about anything of that scene, hence, there is nothing big coming for the next a few years except Titan. A huge turning point has occured. Now, devs will try to polish and extend their products. Blizz will add panda patches + whisper about Burning Legion (and this is gonna be the first "hype is back" trigger) and D3 expansion, GW2 will add content + whisper about first expansion, TOR goes F2P, TES I dunno. Ppl will just stick to those games + MOBAs like Lol and World of Tanks which has now 2 times more active players after physics patch.
    This is it, the end of "WOOOO NEW MMO!" for a while. Time of expansions and bouncing between mmo's and online games.

And I see some of us had the same conclusion Sorry for repating other's words.

Well, even Single Player PC scene is almost empty. Last 2 years were full of huge releases. What is left is a new Bioshock incoming and that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The next big MMORPG, B2P or P2P, I expect will be Wildstar. Off hand it looks familiar enough to the WoW crowd that it will probably breed lots and lots of hype.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I think everyone agrees that Elder Scrolls Online is going to fizzle?

I think this might be the peak, if not already a descent for popularity of the MMO genre. I can't think of any MMO's being released in the near future or far future that are even on my radar, bar Titan. I expect this is the time for games that are typically more single player to become very expansive with multiplayer, or the f2p genre will start to really encroach on the market.
    RETH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakamutt View Post
    Would there be two factions in pvp, "record companies" and "artists" ?
    Clearly it would be a three-faction PvP. Pirates are the third faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Bethesda was never able to implement a balanced, no-nonsence RPG and gameplay system, which are the most important things about an MMO. I would be surprised if they are able make even an average MMO.

For now, I am more than happy with GW2, it is far from perfect but it offers almost everything I want from an MMO. Over next years I expect the notion of 'the one MMO to rule them all' to become less important, there will be a number of games people will play and enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So I think everyone agrees that Elder Scrolls Online is going to fizzle?
    Definitely. I loved Skyrim and just about everything I've heard about ESO has little to nothing to do with what I liked about Skyrim, and like about Guild Wars 2. At this rate they'll be lucky to even get ESO to launch, let alone keep it from going F2P within a year afterward.

I wonder how it feels to work at these places. Do they really not see the "writing on the wall," so to speak?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit that the genre as a whole is waning. I'm very glad for it. Unfortunately it won't stay down long enough for those of us to get out of the genre completely for a while. Little bits here and there are keeping us hanging on, but I'm ready to have time for other games. I miss getting to be on my couch with a controller in my hand...and this is coming from a PC gamer since Commodore 64.

Call me nostalgic, but I miss when computer gaming was Kings Quest, then when it was Warcraft II/III....before MMO's ever existed. I think games like TL2 and a lot of Steam indie games are capturing those similar feelings, but so much of the PC market is caught up in MMO's as a whole.

They've been great and we've all had good times, but please go away so we can have a decade of peace before their inevitable revival.