Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Except that if you bothered to check into WildStar you'd see that it actually does quite a bit to separate itself from the traditional EQ/WoW format (including offering 4 distinct leveling paths that emphasize different area's of play). It's going to do everything different, but they've gone in their own direction enough to distinguish themselves well enough. At least to people who bother to spend about 5 minutes checking out news about it.
    Did a quick google, from what I can decipher it will be possible to level without doing any combat at all? If true, that's truly unique enough to set it apart from the WoW-mold.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Did a quick google, from what I can decipher it will be possible to level without doing any combat at all? If true, that's truly unique enough to set it apart from the WoW-mold.
    From what I know, it's not. Combat is still a part of the game, however choosing non-combat paths is supposed to de-emphasize the importance of combat for character progression and add additional methods of leveling appropriate to your calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    Has nothing to do with all-games, just talking about wildstar.
    So I actually took time out of my day to look at some wildstar gameplay videos.

It looks more like jak and dexter animation and art style than WoW. So if you are saying its cartoony like wow, then you need to understand that there's many different types of cartoony.

Are you saying that its like wow because its a hotkey mmo? Because the majority of MMOs are hotkey mmos. So that would be normal. Not "like wow".

That would be like knowing a skate boarder named steve and assuming all people who skate board are like steve.

I would like you to explain point by point how this "wild star" game draws from any aspect that is uniquely WoW.

Edit: Just so its clear. I am by no means endorsing this game. I think its just ridiculous to call it a "wow clone" when, within 5 minutes (just like edge said), I have found numerous ways in which it is not a wow clone.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-10-11 at 07:18 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So I think everyone agrees that Elder Scrolls Online is going to fizzle?
    I dunno about that. My issue is the theme is beaten to death and instead of another Wizards/Warriors MMO Bethesda should be working on a Fallout MMO.

Im not necessarily interested in TSW, but I pop in their thread from time to time and I see a lot of people enjoying it simple because it has a modern setting. For some reason developers are all ex-DnD kids who dont think something outside of might and magic is going to work.....

Speaking of pen and paper, I would love to see a Rifts MMORPG. That would flat out kick ass!
    If you have never heard of the old pen and paper game Rifts, check out the Wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_%...laying_game%29

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I dunno about that. My issue is the theme is beaten to death and instead of another Wizards/Warriors MMO Bethesda should be working on a Fallout MMO.
    I suspect that a Fallout MMO may be what Rich's new job is about.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Would be awesome to get a good, big budget non-space (EVE) sandbox MMO
    CCP are developing something, probably years away but still interesting due to how EvE is, judging by walking in stations it will have nice graphics as well, not read up much on it last couple of years though.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I doubt it will be any good though, the true feeling died after Fallout 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I use to like fall out...

Before Bethesda got their hands on the franchise.

Wasn't ArcheAge a "big budget non-space sandbox MMO"? I'm not a big fan of sandbox games myself so I didn't keep track.

Myself and at least 20 other people (guild) are hoping for WildStar atm. Looks quite nice so far.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Wasn't ArcheAge a "big budget non-space sandbox MMO"? I'm not a big fan of sandbox games myself so I didn't keep track.

Myself and at least 20 other people (guild) are hoping for WildStar atm. Looks quite nice so far.
    It is, but it probably won't come over to the West until 2014 : /

While I'm enjoying GW2 enough to not be bored, it's more of the same. Gaming needs something fresh and exciting, not a "tried and true" MMORPG formula. Realistically GW2 is hardly any different from that.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    While I'm enjoying GW2 enough to not be bored, it's more of the same. Gaming needs something fresh and exciting, not a "tried and true" MMORPG formula. Realistically GW2 is hardly any different from that.
    Eh, the combat is definitely a step forward in the right direction from simple hotkey shit.

A small step forward.

But a step forward nonetheless

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Wildstar will be popular. Gameplay looks fun, artwork looks great.

Wildstar will probably be hugely popular. It is possible to make addons for it, the gameplay is Holy Trinity with a dodge effect like in GW2 and raids are not made for casuals. It's a sandbox MMO with theme-park elements. Sounds like I will be playing that one.

TESO; hmm, from what I read about it it sounded exciting up until the point where they limit you as a player to your faction's Zones within Tamriel. Effectively ruling out 2/3 of the explorable map for the player. Me no lieky, at all.

If there is one thing WoW got right and has ever since been the best at it is building a huge, epic world. I love Azeroth, Outland, Northrend and Pandaria as game worlds. If a new MMO can copy that epic feeling of a huge explorable world like WOW has, they will be succesful. This is something I think Wildstar will deliver and I thought TESO would too but recent dev updates has me doubting....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nancypants2012 View Post
    I'm gonna play it regardless. I'm an Elder Scrolls fanboy...........I imagine its gonna get torn apart though.
    I like TES too, especially Skyrim but I don't think I'll play the MMO. From the looks of it, it sounds like it's going to be another generic WoW clone not unlike Rift. I tried the demo and was bored out of my mind.

So yea.. I have higher hopes for Titan and World of Darkness MMO (even though it's progressing sloooowly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Once I had someone tell me that Lotro "stole orcs from WoW".
    People think manticores are wyverns because of WoW.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore
    It's quite mind boggling...

I don't think there's a way to say 'big' MMO now since the MMO community has grown so big.

The population will spread out to what they want to play.
    MMOs are starting to separate themselves from each other making their own niche, and whomever likes that niche will stay with it.

One thing with some of the player base is expecting something big, when in reality... just find some game you like and go with it.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-10-12 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I have to admit that the genre as a whole is waning.
    I am not sure I agree, I think the market is becoming more and more spread out over many many titles but growing as a whole, but I think the grind get loot paradigm is in dire need of a good shake up.

Personally I would like to see more interactive persistant worlds, where say the alliance could actually take over orgrimmar for a time etc(I know WoW is not built for this) or something like minecraft but more detailed and with more actual player objectives. The MMO idea has so many places to go and ultimately it is still a big draw to play with your friends like this. EA said they won't approve any more single player only games, they clearly think this is the way forward(I think eschewing single player completely is shooting themselves in the foot but w/e) and I agree that the multiplayer/MMO idea is just going to get more and more important, I just hope we see more than just games which have a design philosophy that revolves around keeping you glued to a screen chasing a carrot for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Eh, the combat is definitely a step forward in the right direction from simple hotkey shit.

A small step forward.

But a step forward nonetheless
    I dunno, GW2 has too many tab target spells. Its a -very- small step, and even then its a step sideways, rather than forward.

Tera has true "action-style" combat, and its a lot more involved than GW2s. If anything is a step forward, that would be it. However, I am not sure if I would really call it such either, since action combat belongs in action games (which MMOs are not, at least at their core).

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Tera has true "action-style" combat, and its a lot more involved than GW2s. If anything is a step forward, that would be it. However, I am not sure if I would really call it such either, since action combat belongs in action games (which MMOs are not, at least at their core).
    I'd say Tera does it really well and after playing it my enjoyment playing tab target games is slightly diminished, at the end of the day it only gives another dimension to tab targeting as you still have to be in range and be facing the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    It's a sandbox MMO with theme-park elements.
    Wildstar is hardly a sandbox.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    I want to see a Bioshock MMO. Gimme Big Daddy tanking class please.