Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I was hoping for the Warhammer 40k mmo but it wont be a mmo anymore *sadface*

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    (which MMOs are not, at least at their core).
    At their core?

Do you mind elaborating on this.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    At their core?

Do you mind elaborating on this.
    Until the MMO-action crossovers arrived (such as Planetside), MMORPGs have always been about stats, character progression, and buffs/debuffs, not about twitch combat. In other words, "if you have enough of stat X, you will always do Y", rather than "if you have good reflexes, you will do X, otherwise you are useless".

I actually like that part about MMORPGs. I can get my twitch action with Planetside / CoD / BF3, and get my character progression/gear grind fix with WoW.

Although, I have to say, I really enjoyed Tera warrior class (as twitch-action as it gets).

Until the MMO-action crossovers arrived (such as Planetside), MMORPGs have always been about stats, character progression, and buffs/debuffs, not about twitch combat. In other words, "if you have enough of stat X, you will always do Y", rather than "if you have good reflexes, you will do X, otherwise you are useless".

I actually like that part about MMORPGs. I can get my twitch action with Planetside / CoD / BF3, and get my character progression/gear grind fix with WoW.

Although, I have to say, I really enjoyed Tera warrior class (as twitch-action as it gets).
    So you're saying that MMO's, specifically MMORPG's, shouldn't progress and try different things? You can absolutely have a character progression/gear grind system in a game that involves action combat. Heck, pretty much every FPS with multiplayer has character and gear progression nowadays (unlocking perks/weapons/attachments as you level up in the game and use different guns).

Action combat and combat stats/character progression are not mutually exclusive. Unless you're exclusively looking at stats, at which point you could just run the game off of an excel chart and it would be much cheaper (like Zeal pali duels in D2, essentially they're just math formula's playing themselves out without any player skill being involved during the actual duel).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    So you're saying that MMO's, specifically MMORPG's, shouldn't progress and try different things? You can absolutely have a character progression/gear grind system in a game that involves action combat. Heck, pretty much every FPS with multiplayer has character and gear progression nowadays (unlocking perks/weapons/attachments as you level up in the game and use different guns).

Action combat and combat stats/character progression are not mutually exclusive. Unless you're exclusively looking at stats, at which point you could just run the game off of an excel chart and it would be much cheaper (like Zeal pali duels in D2, essentially they're just math formula's playing themselves out without any player skill being involved during the actual duel).
    That also reminds me of Enhancement Shaman back in the TBC/WotLK WoW. All the thought and work was done outside of the raid with regards of maximizing the gear stats. Actual gameplay was pretty much a way way distant second. I think the only thing that really mattered there was making sure not to potentially clip a Windfury proc window.

There was a fun element, at the time, to actually using spreadsheets and playing with different gear choices to see how you can maximize yourself. But at the same time I have really enjoyed the "action" gameplay that rewards skilled gameplay, and actually allows skill to supercede stats. Looking at games like Tera show a direction that I am interested in seeing other MMO's go with their combat in the future. That being said, I know a lot of people have problems with this type of gameplay and I can only imagine the frustration it must cause to a playerbase that largely still has issues of standing in fire. >_>;;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    That also reminds me of Enhancement Shaman back in the TBC/WotLK WoW. All the thought and work was done outside of the raid with regards of maximizing the gear stats. Actual gameplay was pretty much a way way distant second. I think the only thing that really mattered there was making sure not to potentially clip a Windfury proc window.
    It's because theory crafting became so popular in maximizing performance.
    That being said, I know a lot of people have problems with this type of gameplay and I can only imagine the frustration it must cause to a playerbase that largely still has issues of standing in fire. >_>;;
    Quite honestly, after being forced (well playing for my friend) to play WoW again after months of Tera. In Tera at the very least that at 60, everyone is relatively educated in their class, know how to avoid stuff, what not to do. It's hard to learn fights based off a video. Tunnel vision is a gigantic no-no.
    And then being spoiled by people that are at least knowledgeable enough to do these things, and then in WoW, and did a random pug.
    /sadface.

I think that limiting the genre to hotkey would be a bad idea.

Especially if you are going to term it as "MMO".

Maybe you could do that with MMORPG. But there are MMOARPG. MMORTS (Omg who else is crazy about EON?). MMOFPS. MMO3PS. MMOH&S.

To try and restrict "MMO" that much cuts too many games out of "massive multiplayer online"

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with hotkeys? TERA's combat system has been widely praised yet it is still uses hotkeys as the primary method of using abilities.

10+ Year Old Account

Especially if you are going to term it as "MMO".

Maybe you could do that with MMORPG. But there are MMOARPG. MMORTS (Omg who else is crazy about EON?). MMOFPS. MMO3PS. MMOH&S.

To try and restrict "MMO" that much cuts too many games out of "massive multiplayer online"
    It's not really the hotkeys, as it is how the abilities function and interact.

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with hotkeys? TERA's combat system has been widely praised yet it is still uses hotkeys as the primary method of using abilities.
    By hotkey I mean the EQ combat system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So I think everyone agrees that Elder Scrolls Online is going to fizzle?
    Good! This is a good thing! Everyone should be happy that ESO is being underlooked! It should be epic.

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    Good! This is a good thing! Everyone should be happy that ESO is being underlooked! It should be epic.
    I personally hope so. I just hope they don't underestimate the people who loves MMO's and our need to explore and feel like a small part in a big big world. Go read about faction zones and that you will be limited to your faction's areas only and I think that will dissapoint you. Combat, the questing system, story and almost everything else has sounded very promising though. I really hope they change their minds about the zones and they might have a winner.

Guys,

Im desperately searching for an MMO which was in Beta about 3 to 4 month ago. It was some japanese styled fighting game with big weapons and a nice combat system. Iirc it was mostly about the combat system. Anyone can help me with the name of it?

Deleted
    My guess is the next MMO will be as disappointing as all the other MMO's released after 2005 other than WoW, seems to have been the trend for the past 7-8 years.

Honestly I can't think of any MMO's i'm even looking forward to now, the Titan project just sounds abysmal with what very little info/rumours have been released and the current mindset of Blizzard.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2012-10-13 at 01:49 PM.

Deleted
    To be honest I am deeply disappointed with the current MMOs on the market, especially given the wasted potential.

I am actively subscribing to WoW right now, but it's not like I treat the game seriously or play all that much. I'm still 88 and scarcely log in for a couple of quests.

The genre could certaintly use more innovation. I do have faith in the next-gen of MMORPGs though, titles of which are slowly popping up.

EDIT: I'm referring to MMORPGs, specifically character building, gearing etc. I don't care about MMOFPS stuff and whatnot.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 01:59 PM ----------

Nothing wrong with them. I personally just want variety and various games with varied combat gameplay.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    CCP are developing something, probably years away but still interesting due to how EvE is, judging by walking in stations it will have nice graphics as well, not read up much on it last couple of years though.
    Yeah if you're into the setting (basically, the ever-praised Bloodlines the Masquerade setting), it should be a great sandbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Darkness

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 02:15 PM ----------

I dunno, GW2 has too many tab target spells. Its a -very- small step, and even then its a step sideways, rather than forward.

Tera has true "action-style" combat, and its a lot more involved than GW2s. If anything is a step forward, that would be it. However, I am not sure if I would really call it such either, since action combat belongs in action games (which MMOs are not, at least at their core).

Nah, people just aren't used to seeing it in MMORPGs, because of - now overcome - technical limitations.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2012-10-13 at 02:00 PM.

I want a MMO that allows me to be a non-combat profession.
    I want a MMO that has a deep political and economic system.

Either of those two would be enough to spark an genuine interest from me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I want a MMO that allows me to be a non-combat profession.
    I want a MMO that has a deep political and economic system.

Either of those two would be enough to spark an genuine interest from me.
    Well said, those are two of the desired features I have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BondGirl View Post
    Guys,

Im desperately searching for an MMO which was in Beta about 3 to 4 month ago. It was some japanese styled fighting game with big weapons and a nice combat system. Iirc it was mostly about the combat system. Anyone can help me with the name of it?
    Not sure if trying to bash on it, but I think you mean Tera

F2P and B2P will consume the market by next year, the mmo genre is losing more players than its gaining.

Hell, everyone I know that once played wow now plays LOL.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    F2P and B2P will consume the market by next year, the mmo genre is losing more players than its gaining.
    Isn't that a self-defeating point?...