Sound proofing a room

Ive recently moved to an urban area, where it is very noisy at night. Most of the sound from the outdoors comes through the windows.

I've googled some solutions but wanted MMO's take on it.

Deleted
    if sounds gettin in yer windows either arent double glazed or where fitted by incompetants. i live off a main road and barely anything penetrates these beauties. a good set of thick curtains help too.

Curtains made of some heavy material like velvet. The fibres stand out on both sides of the cloth, doing the same job as those foam cones you see in an anechoic chamber.

Deleted
    Heavy curtains, double/trippleglazed windows with good isolation around them (we use foam which is awesome) and isolation in the walls.
    This will help alot against the noise

Get used to it, honestly.

I don't even notice outside noise anymore, even though I live on a busy street.

If you need a quick fix, get some foam from a hardware or fabric store and fit it in the window. No longer serves as a window then...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

You get used to noise, I mean if it's just normal traffic/pedestrian noise, if it's junkies begging dealers for the next fix I guess I would sort it out if I was in your shoes! lol

If you can't adjust get better windows fitted in, as people have mentioned already double/tripple, the more the better, is that uncommon in the US?
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

the birds in the morning are annoying.

is it just me or when somebody says they want to sound proof a room, it sounds like they plan on keeping somebody there without their consent. And soundproofing is so nobody can hear them scream?

Do you still need to see out the window?

Try soundproofing curtains -- great alternative if you want to fend off noises without too much trouble or money. People use them when they live near construction or a major highway.

I like vocalboothtogo soundproofing curtain which are made from Limp Mass Membrane and sound blankets together. They are hung on windows easily, looks nice and work. Check out their You Tube video under VB2go that gives you a good idea. The guy tests it right on the video too.

Could always try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ecotones-Sound...0329485&sr=8-2

I've been considering buying one myself just for the calming effect of it, my community really isn't noisy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Could always try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ecotones-Sound...0329485&sr=8-2

I've been considering buying one myself just for the calming effect of it, my community really isn't noisy at all.
    I would actually recommend something like this, but only to an extent. If you need absolute quiet to sleep, then you need sound dampening material. But where I live it's warm 3/4 of the year so I have fans blowing all the time. White noise works just as well as sound dampening, so long as you can get used to it. For me the fans blowing provide ample white noise, at least until the neighbors dogs start barking like mad.

White noise machines... great way to annoy the neighbours when you get used to it and they don't.

If you need a quick fix, get some