Disclaimer: This is completely conceptual, and I wouldn't expect to see any sweeping changes like the ones discussed here at least until 6.0.
Okay. To start off, many rogues feel there is great homogeny between their three specs. Playing one doesn't feel much different at all from playing another. What I would like to do is talk about ways that this class could be redesigned in a way that would make it more interesting and active while also promoting separation between the specs. A great deal extra flavor could potentially be added to this class.
Something that comes along with this discussion are potential ideas to make the rogue talent tree not suck, i.e. interesting.
To start the thread off, here are some ideas that me and a buddy of mine came up with tonight spitballing around. It's vague, but could be a lot of fun!
Assassination - Becomes truly all about poisons-- others specs stop using poisons to make room for other fun abilities specific to that spec. This spec utilizes poison bombs, poison "cp" builders, dynamic finisher(s) acting differently depending on poisons. A crazy alchemist or something
- Add new poisons for flavor/effect
- Damaging poisons become CP-building abilities
- Utility poisons become short CDs
- Build poison charges aka combo points on the target.
- Poison charges will look visually different depending on which poison was used for tracking
- Poison charges will stack on multiple targets but run down at a rate similar to holy power
- Mutilate becomes finisher that acts differently depending on which poisons were applied
- On the fence about whether to include abilities such as slice and dice or rupture at all
for the sake of making the spec feel different
Like I said, still pretty vague, but we're just trying to get the ball rolling on some ideas to breathe life into the class. We would love to hear some ideas about what could be fun and unique for Combat and Subtlety.
I'm unable to post a link to the original post, but if you are interested the title is "6.0 rogue redesign ideas" in the rogue section of the official forums. Feel free to drop by and add anything!