Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Worried about Shadow damage

So we cleared the first three bosses in Mogushan tonight, and my raid leader actually messaged me asking me why my damage was so poor.

I've played Shadow for a good while now, since mid-Wrath. I do the number crunching. I know the haste break points. I did well enough in cata, but I could never, ever beat our similarly geared hunter, feral druid, or legendary rogue (I didn't have dragonwrath). I was okay, because I was still 'competitive', and more importantly to our raid, reliable. I showed up on time, and I knew how to stay out of fire (the hunter was terrible at this)

Early Mists, I did a lot of damage in heroics, and was stoked.

-Currently 463 ilvl, hit capped. Food. Enchants. Flasks. I FEEL like I perform a perfect rotation most of the time, and even with perfect rotation, my dps still lacks. On our Feng kill, I think our rogue did nearly 60% more of my damage.

-Dots never (or rarely) drop, and if they do, its for fractions of a second, refreshed at no sooner than 3 seconds of ending. MB on cooldown. DP on 3 orbs. Halo at 25 yards.

I understand that DK tanks do a lot of damage right now, which I'm okay with. However, that DOES mean it's just another notch down the totem pole I am. It's making me concerned that our group may end up benching me, or worse. I feel like there is no more 'progression' as far as skill that I can get, and no more gear (outside of just... getting more VP, and rep, and raid loot, which is bottlenecked by lockouts/dailies).

I also looked on World of Logs, and it looks like Shadow Priests in general are looking pretty poor. Sure, there's one or two in the top 100 for those bosses. But not much else.

Is shadow just meh right now?
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-10-10 at 07:57 AM.

Just don't give up dude that's the only thing i can tell you. I played Shadow Priest when no one had the idea it was actually good (on my server), and i was treated like a god since they were so rare, good spriests that is.

It would help if you gave a link to your WoL or/and Armory profile.

Spriests are fine. We're middle of the pack on the first four bosses and share the top with Afflocks on the last two.

You can check out the WoL parses here: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/The_Stone...14/60/default/

I think we are okay. Damage is middleish of the pack on most fights and we have pretty good utility. I don't expect guilds to sit Spriests if they are good players.
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericprydz View Post
    It would help if you gave a link to your WoL or/and Armory profile.
    The RL hasn't posted WoL just yet. Armory here. For some reason armory doesn't include 1% draenei hit.

I did LFR earlier and while it isnt a great representation of DPS ( you can ignore most mechanics) i was top DPS on all 3 bosses. My spriest is 468 ilvl with hit cap and 17% haste.

First boss: 48k
    Second boss: 51k
    Third boss: 54k

Main thing to remember is that it is ok to clip mind flay for higher priority stuff like procs/DP/mind blast cooldown etc etc. I use the brewfest trinket and the on use trinket from first boss of a heroic, i have it macro'd to shadowfiend (listed first so fiend gets the benefit).

There was a moonkin in LFR that completed 4 of the normal bosses so i know the raid wasnt completely full of scrubs, he was 2nd on every boss ranging from 2k-5k behind me.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 05:03 AM ----------

I should mention that on 2nd boss i was using PoM (glyphed for shadowform) on cooldown to help healers, so my DPS coulda been higher on that boss.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The RL hasn't posted WoL just yet. Armory here. For some reason armory doesn't include 1% draenei hit.
    Get a proper MH+OH and change enchant to Power Torrent since Windsong is heavily bugged and doesnt proc from DoTs which makes it utterly useless for us. With an offhand you can also enchant intellect on that. Dont be cheap and get a Belt Buckle that you can put some haste in. Get the best gems instead of that green shizzle and also get the good shoulder enchant.
    Your leg enchant is also sort of slacky and should be upgraded. Needless to say mining is a shitty raiding profession but since you apparently lack gold to max your character it is maybe a good thing you have it.

Use an intellect potion right before the pull and use one again when Bloodlust is used. Make sure to reapply DoTs on your targets when BL goes off. Haste is our best stat and you should reforge everything you can towards it while maintaining hitcap. Haste becomes less good when you reach 8085 rating but is still going to be ahead of crit and mastery.

A big part of doing damage is knowing the fight and the spec youre playing. Use all the advantages you have and be number 1 like Usain Bolt.

Here is a link to my armory and my logs. My gear is not the greatest but I can pull decent numbers nonetheless.

Armory yo

World of Logz mah nigga
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

^ Pretty much what sphinxz said, Im not having too much trouble with dps at the moment. worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-elqowutfxfdmumfd/
    My logs if you want too see spell breakdowns and such.

If i was you i would be doing all i could to get the 8085 haste breakpoint

8000 haste? Im at 470 ilvl with everything reforged to haste while keeping a hit cap and im only at 5k haste. Do you mean later in the expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take mid-tier PVE DPS for top-tier PVP anyday of the week. I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    8000 haste? Im at 470 ilvl with everything reforged to haste while keeping a hit cap and im only at 5k haste. Do you mean later in the expansion?
    Nope i mean now, im at 8118 haste right now and it is definitely worth going for!

Mind linking your armory? Like i said im at 470ilvl with everything forged to haste while maintaining a hit cap and im 3k short of that number. One thing i need to find is a caster mace so that will free up 1% i hit i need from gear, but im not sure how much haste than translates too.

Mind linking your armory? Like i said im at 470ilvl with everything forged to haste while maintaining a hit cap and im 3k short of that number. One thing i need to find is a caster mace so that will free up 1% i hit i need from gear, but im not sure how much haste than translates too.
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Dynolol/simple
    And thats also missing 1% hit from expertise

You could have just said you are gemming pure haste...i didnt even consider that to be a viable option lol.

Im not saying it isnt, but do you have proof that hitting that breakpoint is better than gemming int?

Int = 1.0000
    Spirit = 0.5932
    Spell Power = 0.8153
    Hit = 0.5932
    Crit = 0.4068
    Haste = 0.7546
    Mastery = 0.3751
    DPS (Pure Damage) = 0.2812

Are rough stat weights, if anything is over .5 its worth gemming over int now since secondary stat gems give double what primary stat gems give

I can agree with that logic, it makes sense. But, there is this priest on my server that is regularly ranked very high for spriest dps and he is gemmed normally with int. Im not saying anything either way, but i know this guy is a true theorycrafter and loves numbers, i will have to whisper him when he gets on lol

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-elqowutfxfdmumfd/

Those are my logs from tonight if you're interested in having a look.

Deleted
    That seems low, I'm 466 equipped and at 6.4k haste atm (with raid hit cap). You should be able to get much higher than that.

Here is my armory, i still havent decided if i want to re-gem. Dont think it would matter anyways, not enough gem slots. See, 470 ilvl and only 5200 haste:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...scinate/simple

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 11:07 AM ----------

Yes, i realize im missing a belt buckle lol.