Upgrades in 3,2,1...

So, yeah. I've been using my current PC for 3 years now. Still runs like a charm though playing at 1280x1024 is a tad redundant (it is 2012 after all, not 2003). Specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 Ghz
    MB: Sapphire GX890 (crossfire / USB 3.0)
    Ram: 2 x 2GB 1333 Mhz Kingston
    Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 5770 1 GB
    HDD: Western Digital 500 GB 5200 rpm
    Monitor: Samsung T220 (still works like a charm)

I would like to upgrade this without getting a new motherboard. Probably a tad more ram (since its cheap as hell nowadays) but I am stuck at the graphics card and the monitor since HD is a no go with that monitor (also, an SSD drive would be great if the price is right). I cannot really specify a budget since I am still browsing for the right parts, so if anyone can provide some alternatives, while keeping in mind "bang for buck" ratio, would be appreciated.

Oh, and also, I am an avid gamer and plan on getting newer titles (apart from WoW).
    Last edited by Dragonshardz; 2012-10-10 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added CPU <insert dumb dumb dumb theme from south park here> :D

Deleted
    You didnt mention your CPU/Processor

Really depends what games you play, for wow a Geforce 550Ti or the Ati equivalent is far more than you need.

I figure a 550ti and a 22-24" Lcd from a company like Acer will set you back about $200-$240 but it is well worth it to get a 1900x screen resolution and constantly have over 70fps in 25m raids.

As for Ssd I dunno I don't plan on getting one until 250gb is considered low end instead of top notch.

Deleted
    You wont get a constant 70 fps in any raid with any computer.
    (Not counting TBC or older raids)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Really depends what games you play, for wow a Geforce 550Ti or the Ati equivalent is far more than you need.

I figure a 550ti and a 22-24" Lcd from a company like Acer will set you back about $200-$240 but it is well worth it to get a 1900x screen resolution and constantly have over 70fps in 25m raids.
    The Radeon 5770 he has IS the AMD equivalent of the 550ti. And no, he won't get 70fps in 25m with any computer on max details and full hd...

OT:
    For wow, there isn't any real upgrade for your computer unless you want to basically replace most of it. As wow is very cpu dependent, a real upgrade would mean to get the i5-3570k, which means getting a new board also. Couple that with a gpu in the $200-300 range and you are also fine for about all current games.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're only playing WoW I don't see a point in really upgrading anything you have currently. Your CPU is still new enough that you won't see a huge performance jump, you have "enough" memory and while you could upgrade the 5770 to a 7770, or even a 7850 I don't think you'll notice it. The native resolution for your monitor is 1680x1050, why are you playing at 1280x1024?

Deleted
    Id just overclock the gpu and if possible the cpu and come back in 6 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
    If you're only playing WoW I don't see a point in really upgrading anything you have currently. Your CPU is still new enough that you won't see a huge performance jump, you have "enough" memory and while you could upgrade the 5770 to a 7770, or even a 7850 I don't think you'll notice it. The native resolution for your monitor is 1680x1050, why are you playing at 1280x1024?
    There's a problem with the firmwire or whatever, I can't seem to get anything higher than 1280 x 1024. This seems to be a widely known issue amongst the series, I've even sent a letter to Samsung officials and got the same response.

I don't really play WoW non stop, I intend to play other (newer) games. Presently I would like an HD monitor and a new graphics (seeing how if I upgrade one I should upgrade the other).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    There's a problem with the firmwire or whatever, I can't seem to get anything higher than 1280 x 1024. This seems to be a widely known issue amongst the series, I've even sent a letter to Samsung officials and got the same response.

I don't really play WoW non stop, I intend to play other (newer) games. Presently I would like an HD monitor and a new graphics (seeing how if I upgrade one I should upgrade the other).
    Since you want to play other games as well, if it were me I would pick up a nice 22-24 inch, 1080p monitor, 7770 or 7850 and call it a day. Given your other hardware anything more than that would probably be wasted money. Of course adding more memory is super cheap, and an SSD is totally personal preference as you won't see any real game performance boost from it.