Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    @Alyssa
    What dream world are you living in? Great games can and do sell terribly more often than sounds reasonable in this world. And garbage games will fly off the shelves with the right marketing.
    Sure, it's highly unlikely with todays information flow though, a good game will get tons a free hype and the bad games will be called out for being bad, now if you sink 10 million in to marketing your 10 million game you have to sell it to enough people that had no interest in your product to begin with to break even on your 10 million, the people who where interested will buy it no matter how you market it. This happens a lot in the movie industry and it's debatable if it actually pays off at the end of the day.

How much do you think was spent making Minecraft as popular as it is? How much do you think was wasted marketing SWTOR? Just two example questions for you.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

They were doctors, damn it. They went to school a long time to become doctors and then they made video games for two decades . Now they are going to move onto something else.
    Yes let's explain away the obvious fact that almost the entire staff that had to deal with EA while making SWTOR are rejoicing to get to go somewhere else or flat out doing a 180 on their careers. You are right, they are doctors who made video games. You'd think if they spent so much of their life doing something because they love it, it would take something pretty significant for BOTH of them to abandon ship followed by their entire line of employees.

You want to talk psychology? People like the first entries because they are new and hate the ones after because they changed things. Happens with almost every series across every medium. It's the VERY rare example where everyone thinks continuations improve on the original.
    Yes, let's talk psychology and literary criticism. Please give me a school of thought that backs up your also 'opinions as facts' statements.

It isn't rare when people think sequels are as good or better because of people's opinions, it's because what is made is shit. Please tell me how each Resident Evil movie that has come out since the first is only bad because we choose to think it is? Nope, it's just shit. I hear Uwe Boll will be directing the last film as we let the franchise sink into oblivion. (this is sarcasm)

How would ipads be received if EA bought out Apple in an alternate reality, and then proceeded to use their 'knowledge' and 'ideas' to alter the next iteration of the product? I can tell you, it would be dog shit. Because instead of letting the people do what they already know how to do, they are involved in many steps along the way.

It would be fine if EA sat around swimming in their money pool, but they are out on the floor poking their fingers in every artist, level designer, systems designer, etc.

I don't know, but I found what they've done with Fifa 2013 to be just amusing.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

If you don't notice the difference in production values between KOTOR and Mass Effect, or you somehow think Bioware could have paid for that themselves and been just fine publishing the game themselves, then I don't really have anything else to add. You're willing yourself not to see the obvious.

I'm no exactly championing EA here. I'm just explaining how it works. And a developer self publishing triple A titles is something that isn't going to happen for a while yet.
    BioWare made their best games without EA: Baldur's Gate I + II + Neverwinter Nights + KotOR. The only reason they got hooked up with EA to me is the fact they wanted a share of the MMO market. I guess the same reason Blizzard got hooked up with Activision. Better distribution channels are another advantage. EA ruined BioWare.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    BioWare made their best games without EA: Baldur's Gate I + II + Neverwinter Nights + KotOR. The only reason they got hooked up with EA to me is the fact they wanted a share of the MMO market. I guess the same reason Blizzard got hooked up with Activision. Better distribution channels are another advantage. EA ruined BioWare.
    Blizzard got hooked up with activision because of Vivendi.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    How many people here like games such as the ME series, BF or Dead Space?

Even in the "I hate EA" crowd, there's plenty who certainly love some of the games that have the EA name on it somewhere. When a company chugs out the most video games, they're guaranteed to have some people like.
    I'm one of them. Not fond of EA but I'm a little bit (just a little) of an ME fan. (A smidgen.) My love for ME is greater than my hate for EA.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com