Ah, my first self-built computer malfunction. Slow controlled breathing... HELP!

Ok, so I built my own computer for the first time about a month ago. I was one of those lucky guys that just happened to put it all together the right way, the first time (or so I think). I booted it up, installed Windows 7, installed Diablo III, some other games, grabbed windows movie maker, couldn't get it to work, downloaded ~20 codec packages trying to get it to work, gave up got Adobe Premier, and NOW, a monthish after building it, it crashed all of a sudden.

I had just got done murdering things in Diablo III, and I logged off (D3) and closed my Pandora and Chrome and sat on my couch for a few minutes. And then the computer just shut down, and tried to restart. But it didn't start. Black screen came up and said, "Loading Operating System" like it normally does before the Windows logo comes together, and then it said, "Disk Read Error" (no number), "Press CTRL, ALT, DELETE to restart." So I did, and it skipped past that and went straight to System Restore and tried to restore the computer to a previous date. It asked me if I would like to restore to a previous date and went to go click the "lolyes" box and I come to find that my keyboard and mouse aren't recognized by my computer.

So I lean on the power button and restart again. And this time it askes me if I even want to go into recovery or just start normally, and my mouse and keyboard are working again. So I choose the recovery option, and it does the same thing. "Would you like to restore back to a previous blahblahblah" and I go to click yes, keyboard and mouse aren't working again.

So I restart again and go to start windows normally, and the screen where the Windows logo "comes together" is there, but the logo isn't coming together. Sits there for a few minutes and I just shut it down.

Go to bed, wake up, go to work, come home turn on computer, hit start windows normally, and I'm on my desktop in 15 seconds.

SOOOOOO. How can I figure out why my computer did this? And is there any general stuff I should be doing to prevent my computer from doing this kind of stuff? Like, general stuff that maybe only applies to people that build their own systems?

Here is my system.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Six-Core 3.3GHz
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

All windows updates have been installed, and all drivers are updated from their respective manufacturer's website.

Any help, or general guidance will solving this issue (if it's even an issue anymore) or preventing issues would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I have planned to do about this thus far (seeing as the computer seems to be working fine now), is make this post, and open my computer up and make sure everything is actually snuggly fit and secure where it's supposed to be.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Thats an odd one, i think your keyboard and mouse are probably failing because they are in USB 3.0 sockets and not USB 2.0 i have the same problem if use USB 3.0.

The disk read error is a bit concerning, if it's a new hard drive it might be worth getting it replaced if it fails again also could be a virus from something you downloaded screwing with your machine.

Sorry I can't help any further

Make sure the peripherals are on USB 2.0 ports, 3.0 ports usually only work properly after windows has booted up.

Make sure the SATA cables are securely attached and not being pulled away from the sockets because you pulled the cable too tight.

The computer started acting sluggish after this post. Everything stopped working. I could click on things, the start menu, but couldn't open anything from it, or anything else. Nothing would load from the desktop or from already open programs. Took several minutes for the task manager to open up. So I shut it down. When it came back up, it asked me to restart the computer, as if it had just finished updates. But there was no notification that it had done any updates, it just said restart now or later as soon as I booted it up. Now it's working fine.

Thanks for the info about the 3.0/2.0. Didn't think of that.

Deleted
    Reinstall all drivers, remove them and reinstall again.

Plan B is to use the "Repair Windows" feature off your Windows 7 disc and let it do its work.
    Plan C is to reinstall Windows.

The issue sounds like

1)Drivers causing errors aka sluggish pc.

2)Your disk is dying hence the read error.

Either way start backing up before it either dies snd format to check if it was drivers.

Then again if the usb fixed your issue i doubt you would get a disk error for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the firmware on your motherboard up to date? I know a friend of mine who's quirky problems were solved when he got the latest firmware

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Pavidus View Post
    The computer started acting sluggish after this post. Everything stopped working. I could click on things, the start menu, but couldn't open anything from it, or anything else. Nothing would load from the desktop or from already open programs. Took several minutes for the task manager to open up. So I shut it down. When it came back up, it asked me to restart the computer, as if it had just finished updates. But there was no notification that it had done any updates, it just said restart now or later as soon as I booted it up. Now it's working fine.
    Are you using a single HDD because this sounds like an issue I had. Downloading at a reasonable speed used to cripple my PC. During windows updates it was even worse despite the download speed usually being quite low. I think my HDD was/is on its way out maybe you have the same issue. I solved it by getting an SSD and using that as my C drive.

This is easy to test though, just max out your download speed and see if you have a big performance decrease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephStylin View Post
    Is the firmware on your motherboard up to date? I know a friend of mine who's quirky problems were solved when he got the latest firmware
    How would I go about checking this? Would information be in the mobo's owner's manual?

Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    Are you using a single HDD because this sounds like an issue I had. Downloading at a reasonable speed used to cripple my PC. During windows updates it was even worse despite the download speed usually being quite low. I think my HDD was/is on its way out maybe you have the same issue. I solved it by getting an SSD and using that as my C drive.

This is easy to test though, just max out your download speed and see if you have a big performance decrease.
    I'm using a 128gb Kingston SSD and a 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD. The SSD is obviously my C drive.

Ever since opening up the case and disconnecting and reconnecting everything, it's been running fine. Perhaps one of the SATA ports was not properly seated. The one that my SSD is using does not have one of the "locking" mechanisms, so it can just be pulled out without pressing anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    To check the Bios version click on the start button, type msinfo32 into the search bar, run it and on the right hand side of the window that pops up will be a system summary and in that list it will show what version you are running. You can then check the Gigabyte website bios page and see if your version is up to date.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a dumb question, but did you do any fiddling in the bios? I was having the same kind of issue only to realize my sata had been changed from achi(ahci? cant remember offhand) to ide.

**just noticed you said unplugging and plugging everything back in seemed to help