Clarify: I am a resto shaman in a 25 man semi-hardcore raiding guild.
So now that we are into the second week and now that monks have been nerfed into more reasonable spot, shaman healing has been rather good. I have even been rather competitive on spread out fights like the stone guards and spirit kings with use of the glyph of chaining.
I am wondering if other shamans are feeling this as well for the vaults.
Also looking ahead at future fights and the increasing spread out and burst stack up nature will be a problem for us. Although i am optimistic about this since mana conservation has us using healing rain as more of a cd than a staple and chain heal can be used as a healing rain alternative in big stack up fights or a consistant aoe with the glyph like we see with healing stream totem and its effectiveness.
Looking farther ahead at unknown raids and scaling i see the same issues popping up since mana will not be an issue and it will start coming down to throughput were we tend to have gaping holes in our viability.
Finally i would like to know healing strategies people have used that have been effective for them as I am trying to teach another resto shaman who is having trouble with my own personal style. For others who might be struggling i would like to give maybe a few tips for those 25 man raiders
1. drop healing rain when significant damage is incoming with unleash elements
2. Glyph chain for spread fights and use on cd
3. unglyphed Chain heal should be used when in low damage phases to avoid using healing rain or for burst healing when healing rain is down.
4. use HW or just plain don't heal in low damage phases if you can, avoid as much mana consumption as possible when the most of the raid is already topped.
5. use HST when damage is coming out and not on CD. If there is consistent damage for it to heal then by all means use it on cd, but don't pop it at the beginning of the fight when there really isn't anything for it to do. Proper spacing will be the difference between meter padding and effective healing.
6. Glyph Recall always and recall HST with 1-2s left on the timer. Furthermore i suggest dropping stone bulwark beforehand so that it will be in the second half of its duration when you recall HST. Recalling your PE will also be a boon to your mana and healing if done near the end. Furthermore if you PE is out, do not recall HST or bulwark and let them expire naturally so that you get the most out of your elemental cd. This will waste mana but keeps yoou from wasting part of your elemental's duration that gives you that +10% healing
7. I use glyph of water shield as you take a lot of damage here and there. There is a theoretical best useage but i prefer to keep it on all the time because the fights where mana is a huge issue this is suggested to have.
8. If you are running a fight without the chain heal glyph, glyph you fire elemental totem so that you can get two or more uses out of it.
9. use your elementals ALOT. with recall they are free mana cost cds and after you drop one the other is usually up and you can never seem to fully maximize uptime with burst healing needed since it doesn't effect healing tide.
Well that about summarizes my style of healing and is probably a lot like any guide you have read but if you ever played FF-12 this would be my gambit system for my shaman.
i apologize if i violate some sort of previous thread rule or something but i never look past the first page or 2 on the forums so i don't expect others to as well