Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mobile Authenticators Now Available!

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet (unless it was in the one thread that I don't read anymore).

I'm pretty happy about this, so check it out here... https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...rst#post398418

1. [Computer] Navigate to https://account.guildwars2.com/account/security/totp and log in with your Guild Wars 2 credentials.
    - If you are redirected to the Security home page (https://account.guildwars2.com/account/security), be sure to add /totp back into the URL.
    2. [Computer] Identify the correct app for your mobile platform. Here are some suggestions:
    - Google Authenticator for iPhones and Android.
    - Windows Authenticator for Windows Phones.
    3. [Mobile] Download the application to your mobile device.
    4. [Computer] Click ‘Next’ on the Account Management page
    5. [Mobile] If your version of the Mobile Authenticator app has the ability to scan QR codes, use it to automatically scan the QR code displayed in Account Management [Computer] and skip to step #7.
    6. [Mobile] If your version of the Mobile Authenticator app does not have the ability scan QR codes, or that ability is not working with the QR code displayed, enter your credentials manually.
    - “Account Name” is the same as your Guild Wars Account Name.
    - “Key” is the secret code displayed in Account Management [Computer].
    - Select “Time Based” and not “Counter Based”
    - Select ‘Add’.
    7. [Computer] In the field below the QR code, enter the six-digit code now displayed from your Mobile Authenticator app [Mobile].
    Click ‘Next’.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-10-10 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice!

/10char

Waiting till it's out of beta then I'm all over this. About damn time, hopefully they're still working on physical authenticators for those without smartphones.

Definitely going to wait till it's out of beta. I would be severely pissed if I got locked out because of faulty security.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Definitely going to wait till it's out of beta. I would be severely pissed if I got locked out because of faulty security.
    Still better than being locked out because your account was hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Still better than being locked out because your account was hacked.
    Yeah..well I have GW2 on my Gmail and my Gmail setup so if anyone tries to access it from anywhere other than my phone or MY PC then it sends me a special password I have to use via text msg.

Nobody will be hacking my account any time soon.

I just want this in full functioning form just as an added back-up. Anet isn't as reliable as Blizzard when it comes to recovering and mending hacked accounts.

No problems so far, easier to set up than I thought it would be when I skimmed the text.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh. Seems I'll have to finally ditch my old KZR K1 unless they indeed come up with a physical solution.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Very nice. Easy to install and use.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Waiting till it's out of beta then I'm all over this. About damn time, hopefully they're still working on physical authenticators for those without smartphones.
    I hope so too. I have very little use for a cell phone in general as there is no signal at either my workplace or home. And smartphone contracts are ridiculously expensive.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    A good thing they could add is a "coinlock" it's in another MMO I play and is not intrusive in the very least. Basically it locks down everything regarding selling, buying or destroying anything on you character. If you or someone logs in from an unknown IP address it kicks in and sends you an email with a code to enter in game to unlock your toon. Works well for people with out a smartphone.

Deleted
    Awesome! The email security - while a great tempory measure - was kinda hard work for me! My IP changes a lot for one thing,and for another, my poor overworked laptop found it hard to open Firefox when GW2 was open lol, so it was slow going (Laptop = going into retirement from heavy gaming in the next couple of weeks!)

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    A good thing they could add is a "coinlock" it's in another MMO I play and is not intrusive in the very least. Basically it locks down everything regarding selling, buying or destroying anything on you character. If you or someone logs in from an unknown IP address it kicks in and sends you an email with a code to enter in game to unlock your toon. Works well for people with out a smartphone.
    Coinlock is just a less restrictive email authentication, which they already have, and have had since BWE3 (give or take, it might've been 2, or a stress test).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I've always felt the e-mail authentication was a bit weird, seeing as you're using the very same e-mail itself as your log-in. So that really only leaves the hopes that the average person uses two passwords, and seeing as you already compromised one, the other one shouldn't be all that difficult to get ahold of, all things sadly considered.

Little sad this is only in beta, but it's definitely miles of improvement. Now if only Google Authenticator let me actually change its color scheme, hmmm....
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    What if you lose the phone/restore factory settings?
    Does ANet require you to call them like Bioware does for SWTOR, or can you remove it via simple ticket system, like WoW?

Wait people still play GW2? I thought everyone took advantage of the refunds?!

Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-12 at 01:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how it uses google authenticator

was already using it for my gmail and lastpass, which already made me feel rather secure. Il'd recommend using the latter for everyone who wants to up their safety btw, it's free
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I've always felt the e-mail authentication was a bit weird, seeing as you're using the very same e-mail itself as your log-in. So that really only leaves the hopes that the average person uses two passwords, and seeing as you already compromised one, the other one shouldn't be all that difficult to get ahold of, all things sadly considered.
    If you're as paranoid as I am, you can drop a few coins to have your GW2 login email different from the mail you receive emails to. In addition to using different passwords, of course. I've set up a non-existant catch-all webserver which redirects all emails to my actual address.

And of course, if you use Gmail, there's the additional security of mobile authentication there too. Set up a mobile phone number, and any time someone tries to log in to your account from an IP you haven't set to always be allowed (like your home computer), a text message will be sent to your phone with a verification code needed to log in. This tells you two things: first, someone's trying to access your account right now, second, whomever's doing it has your username and password.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping they come up with a solution for the rare people (like my girlfriend) who don't have/can't afford a smartphone.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post

Little sad this is only in beta, but it's definitely miles of improvement. Now if only Google Authenticator let me actually change its color scheme, hmmm....
    Not that weird considering that they also highly recommend some form of e-mail authentication sent to your phone, though I'll admit that was kind of a "cop out" to buy time to set up their own authentication system. Which, I currently believe, was something they did not place as top priority to have ready for launch.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearington View Post
    What if you lose the phone/restore factory settings?
    Does ANet require you to call them like Bioware does for SWTOR, or can you remove it via simple ticket system, like WoW?
    I don't think restoring the phone does anything to your authenticator, at least with Blizzard you'd download the "same" authenticator after restoring.