Deleted

AMD FX-8120 blk Ed or Intel i5-3570k

Hello

I am replacing the mobo and CPU in my PC, i could do with some advice -

The i5-3570k is £181, the FX-8120 Blk Ed is £118. So over a £60 difference, had a look at some benchmarking and the i5 is only slightly above the FX.

My question is this - does anyone know if there's any major difference between them? I genuinely have nothing against either manufacturer, had good and bad tech from both but don't know about the benefits of the bulldozer tech vs ivy-bride, if AMD is a failing nightmare or the intel i5 series at that etc.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Flob

Which benchmarks are showing the AMD close in performance to the Intel? Gaming benchmarks should be showing a 20-30% difference in favour of the Intel processor.

Deleted
    lol just checked pass mark, 700 point difference sorry about that

Depends on what you are going to be using it for, since you are on mmo champ im guessing gaming is your main concern. Intel destroys amd in gaming proformance right now. The 3570K is the best gaming processor on the market right now. Go with the intel.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...41.342.342.343

It is the FX-8150 and i7 3770K, but there is only margin of error difference in gaming benches between the i7 and the i5.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...41.342.342.343

It is the FX-8150 and i7 3770K, but there is only margin of error difference in gaming benches between the i7 and the i5.
    wow, that's quite a difference. Thanks for the info

I am using an Nvidia card (550ti) does ive-bridge give any benefit running a long side this?

Not particularly, but neither would the FX.

i5 without even looking up the info on AMD one, yes, they are that bad.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by flobolob View Post
    lol just checked pass mark, 700 point difference sorry about that
    PassMark is 100% worthless for gaming use unless the only game you play is chess at international tournament level.

Quote Originally Posted by flobolob View Post
    I am using an Nvidia card (550ti) does ive-bridge give any benefit running a long side this?
    Nope. Even though Sandy Bridge boards work, you should get Z77 motherboard along with i5-3570K to get the most out of it. PCI Express 3.0 might start to make some difference when you have two GTX690's in SLI, but not on lower class cards.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    The i5 only has 4 cores yet still beats the AMD 8 core in most things so any single threaded apps and most games will get 2x the cpu performance using 1 core on the i5 vs 1 core on the AMD. or 2v2-4v4 will still give 2x performance increase, excluding other hardware influences.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-10-10 at 11:46 PM.