104 65.41%
  • No.

30 18.87%
  • I'm a cookiemonster on acid

25 15.72%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Now let's see, I play WoW, I only go out camping, I play D&D (actual live game with d20 dice, dungeon master and so on) with my friends on weekends, and I can keep you occupied for hours retelling the lore of major game universes such as Warcraft or Elder Scrolls. So yes, I'm a geek and I'm proud of it.

Geek and I fucking love it.

Not like FULL HARDCORE where I'm all into Comic Books and I can tell you the plot of every Star Trek Episode ever, but I definitely fall far over the line in regards to Geek.

I'm really lucky though tbh ... I have 2 Sisters, who even though they pay me out about how geeky I am, they have done a fabulous job of making sure I don't become the type of Geek who is completely anti-social, doesn't know how to talk to people ETC.

Went to a Masquerade party recently, came in a Batman themed mask (Not the real mask), I was literally the ONLY person in a mask that resembled anything from 'Geek/Nerd' Culture and yet the amount of people who came up to me and said that they thought it was awesome, started talking to me about Dark Knight Rises ETC. 'Geek Culture' is fucking awesome, and you'd be surprised at how many people out there actually enjoy some aspects of it but just aren't willing to say anything because of stupid perceptions about it.

I really don't consider myself geeky. I'm knowledgeable in some aspects that other people aren't, but they're knowledgeable in other aspects too. I don't spend whole days playing video games or watching tv shows (not anymore, at least). I don't look geeky and I don't feel geeky. I wouldn't be ashamed of it if I was, but I don't think I am.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I could be way off base but I also sort of saw a pretty big difference between geeks and nerds. Nerds are into video games, star trek, lord of the rings, D&D, etc.

Geeks on the other hand do all of the above but are a lot more DIY. They try a distro of linux they don't like then decide to make their own, prefer to use a slide rule over a calculator because they are "more fun," make their own episodes of star trek, and tend to be really good at soldering. Those kinds of things.

Nerds tend to be, well, just nerdy. Geeks on the other hand are the elite experts of the nerds. You can't get your printer to print you call a nerd. You want someone to describe the pantheon as laid out in the Silmarillian in detail? You call a geek.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Yup.

But I'm also a cookie monster on acid.

I play a lot of vidya games, I'm a pretty big dork indeed. I still go out if there's something fun to do, but mostly I'll just be happy to play video games or do something else geeky.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    I spend more time on my computer playing video games than being outside on the average day. I guess that constitutes a geek.
    Last edited by Duravian; 2012-10-11 at 05:24 AM.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    I don't know if I'm a geek or not... I mean, I spend almost all my time at home, I don't play many games, only LoL, because my lap is shit for gaming and can't handle it, I spent the day on my lap talking on the forums here, but I don't think I'm a geek, hell, I'm not even sure what a geek might be, same thing for nerd, was never interested in looking it up, a lot of people only use those words to insult so yeah.

I consider myself pretty geeky, but it's not something you should be ashamed of. Geeks are generally more accepted by society today and hopefully that trend will continue.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    No, I don't consider myself a geek, because a geek is a sideshow act that eats wierd stuff

I AM a nerd however

I play ALOT of games, mostly RPG's I LOVE Dungeons and Dragons.... Actually I play Legend of the Five Rings, it's like DnD but based on Samurai!
    I read fantasy Fiction, I even write my own! although it IS terrible
    I'm obsessed with Anime and Manga, which I read/watch in the original Japanese, to help me learn the language (seriously, it does actually help )
    I'm also very much into Japanese History, especially the fuedal era.

Do I think this is a bad thing?

Do I FUCK, nerds RUN this fucking planet, me may not be 'alpha' males, but at the end of the day, we're the ones heading companies. The sporty 'popular' guys, the ones who bullied us in school? Yeah they're the ones doing the manual labour.
    Are you heading a company? The "popular" guys are probably a lot more successful than you are. It isn't the nerds that run this planet, not at all - a few of them have some big companies (and even those are generally alpha male type A hyper controlling people like Steve Jobs), but the popular guys are the ones in politics... also what about the jocks making millions throwing balls?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    In looks: no.
    In personality: no.
    In lifestyle: yes, as long as gaming and living a mostly unsocial, at home life is considered geeky.
    I think this works for me too, im a 110kg gamer, but because i workout, so in comparison to other gamers my weight i dont look geeky, but im into all the sterotype stuff: star trek (all of the series), starwars, mmo's, comics (more or less the cartoons back in the day so im schooled up in the lore), into various anime's.

My personality is a little bit geeky in my day to day life but nothing that stands out to much.

But i win at life since i found my fiance to be just a big a geek as me, so i can sit in and play COD with her or i can go out to a bar club and be fine either way. Awwwwyeeaaah

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'm more geeky than not, I suppose. I like gaming, reading sci-fi and fantasy novels, watching sci-fi tv shows and movies etc. But I also like to go out and socialize.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    i play WoW alot in my free or spare time, but the only reason why i don't go out is because all my friends live kinda far away and where i live it isnt much to go out at night

I consider myself geeky. Though I work out and really enjoy clubbing. I went to Ibiza with friends this year, got roughly 16 hours sleep over 6 days and nights. Despite that, I was still thinking about MoP and Dishonored and X-Com coming out. Hell, I'd say it's hard to deny being geeky, when you're on the sub-forum of an MMO forum, reading a topic about just that and actually answering the poll on it.

The real question is - Do you feel it matters if you are geeky? To me, no. I enjoy gaming, I love films and music. Some of my friends who don't consider themselves geeks will study soccer leagues and charts and debate semantics about the sport to a level that is clearly geeky, but they would never consider themselves geeks, despite some of them not even playing the sport themselves. It's like people who learn everything about cars and can quote stats and figures about their dream cars and know the ins and outs of engines and can debate what parts will improve it; they're geeks too, though again, they probably wouldn't agree with that analogy.

I'm a geek and don't hide it. I know who Salacious Crumb is. I know what a Gunstar is. I know what THAC0 means. The list goes on.

I'm also a little bit of a nerd. I know what string theory and membrane theory are, the concept of quantum entanglement, etc.. I don't know the numbers behind any of them, but I at least understand what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geeky yes, Nerdy no...

I collect comic books, play WoW and other fantasy video games, like vintage shirts, I have a large collectables on Marvel superheroes as welll, they are not toys they are collectables... :P

Yes I am a geek :P

Deleted
    video games are just one of my interests, I have many thing that I like and follow and try to keep up to date with, so i dont think Im a geek, this is just one of the things I like to do,
    But i guess it has changed over time, I mean personally I think its much more geeky to come home and just watch tv, no interaction or challenge, just sitting like a zombie, atleast when you play video games in your free time you have some level of interaction , and a mild sense of being productive

I was named the "Computer Nerd" of our high school class. So yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    No offense to geeky people, just wondering if you think or know you are.

I found myself in this predicament about a year ago. I went from a going out 24/7 guy (bars, clubs, friends, sports) to a stay at home 24/7 guy playing WoW all day. My sister called me a geek one day, and i was like... "wtf you are right.. Change of plans!". So now i'm sober for a year (nomore WoW for this Bloodelf) and picked up my old life.

So, are you geeky? And if so, what makes you geeky?
    No offense but i'll take my geeky/hyper otaku life over one of partying anytime.

And yeah i think 45k worth of anime and manga as well as over 6k in machines like computers TVs and game consoles means i'm a geek. Don't even get me started on games(all Agarest War collectors editions to start) also scream it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I rarely reply to threads, but I found this funny.

What is so much better about going out to clubs and bars 24/7 than playing games 24/7?
    In my mind it's worse to go out partying like that but i also prefer staying at home especially since real bar fights(brawls are fun) are sadly rare.

Sure, but not in any way much. Just not very social minded.

I for instances havent watched 1 LOTR or Starwars movie before from start to finish. Alot of this sterotyping-geeky things dosen't fit on me.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO