Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Can someone explain the package prices for me? I was browsing the site and it says $45 to "fly now", then I register an account and now it says $56, what the fuck is up with this shit? (VAT tax?) I have to pay $56 to try a fucking Alpha? I seriously don't feel like throwing any ammount of money at this, I know it's not a scam, but it fucking feels like it..
    The deal Chris Roberts made to the backers is that he would give everyone who pledged before the second anniversary (in 2013) alpha access (because at that time, CR didn't know he'd get some 70 million in funding, and early access is really expensive for them). Now all post 2nd anniversary pledges no longer come with alpha or beta (because, again, he made a promise, and they can't provide free beta/alpha for everyone).

If you just want the game, you can spend $30 and be done with it. You won't get any backer bonuses, though, which means you mind as well just wait until the game comes out in a couple years or so and spend your money then if you like what you see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    If you just want the game, you can spend $30 and be done with it. You won't get any backer bonuses, though, which means you mind as well just wait until the game comes out in a couple years or so and spend your money then if you like what you see.
    But, if I buy into the game now, I'll never have to pay anything again? I am under the impression that these game packages all grant access to the full game upon release and forever after that, I just want to make absolutely sure. And why exactly is that $30 package useless, you don't get full access to ingame features or what?

It's not that the package is useless; it's just at this point there is absolutely no difference whatsoever if you were to buy the package now as opposed to later. If your the careful type, you'd wait until later because if in the event that Star Citizen does crash and burn, you didn't lose $30. If indeed the game does succeed, than you can just dish out $30 and play exactly what you would've had if you had bought it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that the package is useless; it's just at this point there is absolutely no difference whatsoever if you were to buy the package now as opposed to later. If your the careful type, you'd wait until later because if in the event that Star Citizen does crash and burn, you didn't lose $30. If indeed the game does succeed, than you can just dish out $30 and play exactly what you would've had if you had bought it now.
    Well, if they really have 750.000+ registered users at this stage as they claim, I highly doubt the game will 'crash and burn', I'm just careful about paying any money until I know exactly how it all works. Don't wanna get the cheapest package only to find out that I can't play the game properly. Some of the packages say "Arena Commander Pass Included", what's that?

A'rena Commander pass' basically means you can access the dog fighting module (the testing component where you shoot other spaceships). Was automatically included along with future alpha passes in the packages sold during the 2nd anniversary, but no longer available. ATM, if you want alpha/beta access you'd have to buy individual passes to that module when it releases. Ie, when the first testing of the PU (persistent universe, the MMORPG portion of the game) occurs, there'd be a pass that you could buy for $5 or something to gain access to it. Keep in mind that the pass is only for beta/alpha; everyone gets full access to everything after launch. Passes are only there to limit how many people fill up their servers (because as said before, they can't have everyone in ATM).

If you wanted to, you could buy a package right now, get an AC (arena commander) pass and start shooting. Though, as I said before; you'd lose nothing if you waited and would actually save money if you didn't buy into testing.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I'm glad I didn't buy anything yet, what the fuck. Just looking at the $37 package, and it says "WARNING : Please note that this package does not include access to the Alpha and Beta of the game." You actually have to read the info to know this, someone could easily buy this package without noticing that it doesn't actually grant any kind of access to the game.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2015-02-21 at 11:58 PM.

Good thing there's a warning label on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I'm glad I didn't buy anyting yet, what the fuck. Just looking as the $37 package and it says "WARNING : Please note that this package does not include access to the Alpha and Beta of the game." You actually have to read the info to know this, someone could easily buy this package without noticing that it doesn't actually grant any kind of access to the game.
    So you have to actually know what your purchasing in order to play the game? I see no problem with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    So you have to actually know what your purchasing in order to play the game? I see no problem with this.
    But you wouldn't be able to play the game. They should make that very, very clear right on the front description of the package. In big red letters. That it gives access to the game only once released.

But you wouldn't be able to play the game. They should make that very, very clear right on the front description of the package. That it gives access to the game only once released.
    Wasn't the label clear enough?

Please note that this package does not include access to the Alpha and Beta of the game.
    Says it right there on the $30 starter package. On the front description.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the label clear enough?

Says it right there on the $30 starter package. On the front description.
    No, actually not clear enough at all. It's at the way bottom of the entire description. It starts with "It all starts here, with your very own spacecraft. Blast off from your home planet into a vast galaxy of endless possibilities for adventure", and all kinds of stuff, and at the very end of it all, it says "Oh yea, by the way, you wont be able to play"..

It's right below the purchase button, in yellow print, in italics. It is quite clearly readable, and obviously their lawyers believed it to be so because otherwise it wouldn't be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's right below the purchase button, in yellow print, in italics. It is quite clearly readable, and obviously their lawyers believed it to be so because otherwise it wouldn't be there.
    Well, I'll wait abit before buying. I am looking forward to the game infact. And don't get me wrong, I do understand that unlike the big game developers, RSI need the money as they are developing the game, because everything is crowd funded, I get that.

You might want to read that again. It's above the purchase button in the same colour as the rest of the sales blurb
    The yellow italics just says the game is currently in alpha.

I definitely want to buy an Orion when the game is out, but I can't justify that kind of pledge money.

Also, while the orbiting rings look cool -- what function do they serve other than looking cool? In fact, it would only make things more complicated, as you would have to fill each ring at an equal rate to avoid torsional forces jerking the ship around.

- - - Updated - - -

But you wouldn't be able to play the game. They should make that very, very clear right on the front description of the package. In big red letters. That it gives access to the game only once released.
    Even if you did buy that package, you could still "play the game right now" -- you would just have to buy a $5 pass to whichever module you like. (Currently only Arena Commander, but soon also the FPS module will be out too)

Any of the packages guarantee you own the game to play all you want when it comes out ... that just won't be for another 1.5-2 years is all.

The Orion rotating storage containers rotate to facilitate either horizontal or vertical docking to offload cargo, by respectively adjusting around the artificial gravity core to sync with the docking ship (in response to all the curiosity around it).

Here's the concept pic that shows what the rings do...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Never play any online game ever then :P

PvP is also optional iirc.

I play many many many online games that don't force you to pvp.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I play many many many online games that don't force you to pvp.
    But many online multiplayer games have PvP, some are even exclusively that way. Star Citizen is going to be one of those games.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    But many online multiplayer games have PvP, some are even exclusively that way. Star Citizen is going to be one of those games.

True, but those are the exception not the rule as you were trying to state.

You can play most MMO's these days without having to worry about pvp if you don't want too.