Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You should have prefaced this with "In my opinion." RPG doesn't mean roll playing game, but role playing game.
    No I shouldn't have because I speak in the name of fucking President of Uruguya.

Also no. The whole thing is defined by the GAME part. Which has it's own definitions. Roleplaying and roleplaying GAME are two entirely different matters.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You should have prefaced this with "In my opinion." RPG doesn't mean roll playing game, but role playing game.
    What's being stated there isn't really about opinions, its what the genre of "rpg" have been about for multiple decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You are entirely and absolutely wrong. You mistake the concept of roleplaying and roleplaying game entirely. There is a STARK difference between the two and their concepts. Roleplaying games are mechanically driven games where you may RP and the game by its mechanics and ruleset either supports it or not (In which case pretend roleplaying like many do in Skyrim happens) but roleplaying in RPG is not mandatory and it'll work perfectly fine if you treated it just as mechanically interesting and diverse game.

Just like you can pretend-roleplay in about any game (I'm a big CEO of Transport Tycoon!) but that does not make TTP a Roleplaying Game.

The game part of the name implies rules and rulesets that shape the roleplay part. When those things are not mechanically represented and statistically driven, you are simply making things up and in essence larping in enviroment that does not provide experience by itself.
    You're a big CEO because you cannot be anything else in that game.

The entire point of an RPG isn't to shove you into a role of the developers choosing but to let you chose how you want to play. Star Citizen is an open world space sim. You can fight pirates or you can be a pirate. There is very little reason to choose one over the other other than your own personal ethics (Role playing). Star Citizen is a "statistically" driven game, it's just not traditional. Star Citizen is going for realism in a fantasy setting, and opening up a menu and clicking a button to increase your strength isn't real. But flying your ship into a port and customizing engines, guns, shields, etc... is.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Star Citizen matches up relatively well with the gameplay connotations behind the term RPG as well as the 'playing a role' element, in a broad sense at least. The ship is essentially an extension of the avatar given it's used to interact with the majority of the universe and the ship does have progression, it's just currency based rather than experience. The input required to advance is fairly similar.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

You have an avatar in the game it is an RPG. Games like Civilization or tycoons where you control the game from ´god-mode´ are not RPGs.

Deleted
    This is a 200,000$ investor that exited Star Citizen, his reasons:

The one thing that struck me funny was the accusation I was simply a mega-fanboy who spent money for attention that turned sour after CIG snubbed me.

To be honest, it's not a bad analogy.

I was already a mega-fanboy of WC, and spent a lot of money VC'ing Star Citizen, and I did this at a point where funding was sub 500k and slowing down (back when the goal was 2 mil, so yeah while I was a mega-fanboy, I was also being a bit SMART about when and how to become a part of the project). The Austin office was just off the UT main campus, and I was a 30 minute walk away from them. During the early days, I provided the monthly beer runs, monthly because I wanted to make sure they were working but also could relax at some point of the month. Peterson actually cursed me for bringing beer in early one month, this was about the time they were pushing for AC. But I did this for about a year.

I also provided a fuckton of food and snacks for one of the 24 hr livestreams, the one Gegil and I were at. That was about... $300 of food and snacks, ranging from chips to meats'n'cheeses. At the end of it, it was all gone. Scattered memories of that one, there was a lot of booze too. I was holding the camera for the interview with Chris Olivia, where Skelton told me to zoom in on the Peterson cut-out head on the wall that had a penis drawn on it. Sandi wasn't a fan of that. Skelton and his dicks, Olivia and his art. Loved those two.

The move to Bee Cave wasn't a snub, it was a welcome relief, because that basement was a sweatbox. As convenient as it was for me to swing by, it was a relief that the guys had space to actually work. I could still swing by and chat up with Eric/Skelton/Pete/Smith/etc whenever, it was simply a 20 minute longer drive, and I couldn't stay until rush hour because I'd be stuck in traffic till the end of days. I'm not going to make myself unwelcome, because at the time I was still set on maintaining a good relationship with the Santa Monica chapter of SC (they were calling the shots more and more often).

No, the snubbing started with the constant crunches, before PAX Boston's event. Eric simply had no time to spare, and everyone in the pits were crushed with work. I ran into a few CIG workers at Fry's, one of them on a week's vacation. They looked ragged as gently caress. Again, as I've said before, this is part of the industry and it isn't all fun all the time. But we're talking about a crunch in the middle meat of development, one that was obviously making GBS threads down on everyone. Inexplicable crunchtime for a loving external show demo. At the event, away from the other Goons (Drewjitsu,B4tBG, Stalkrr, Darth, etc), I talked to Ortwin center back on the balcony, talking about money and progress. We disagreed on shutting off the fund-raising, I saying that we need a hard limiter on what we can do, and him saying cutting off capital to spite the project is ludicrous.

After that, Eric's exit. Rob's exit. Olivia and Jason's exit. Forrest's relocation. The ex-Blizzard replacement could not find time to talk to me because, in his words, "I have no time for one of Roberts' moneybags to be looking over my shoulder." You can imagine I completely understood his position, and I left the man the gently caress alone. Then that guy left.

Tony Z was a last chance to figure out what was going on with the project from a high view. The man was always on a call from Santa Monica whenever I came by. Without fail. Always talking to Santa Monica on video skype or phone or something.

And I guess that's when it hit me. Everyone was working on something that had been done before. Smith was on the Connie, the art pit was redo-ing interiors for hangars, Skelton got to show off maybe 1 new thing, like the door security scanner particle effects, but ain't going to find it's way into the game for a long time. Everyone was repeating work done a year before. There was nothing new to talk about.

THERE WAS NOTHING NEW TO TALK ABOUT.

Ben wasn't saying poo poo, Pugh was quiet but honest, CR and Ortwin didn't say a drat word to me. The project stagnated.

Then Derek started shouting, and you know the rest.

So yeah, I think I was a mega-fanboy that felt snubbed, and quit SC when it was cool to do so. That's a simplified, but still apt, version of it, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    This is a 200,000$ investor that exited Star Citizen, his reasons:
    Where was it posted? Because it's clear that "loving" is a replacement for "fucking", "gently caress" is a replacement for "fuck", "poo poo" for "shit" and "drat" for "damn". Weird censor method.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfu View Post
    Where was it posted? Because it's clear that "loving" is a replacement for "fucking", "gently caress" is a replacement for "fuck", "poo poo" for "shit" and "drat" for "damn". Weird censor method.
    On SomethingAwful, presumably in one of the threads on star citizen there, latest one started by Derek Smart who is also referred to within the post.

The use of the term "Goon" is a pretty good identifier on where its from, since that's what they call themselves on there.

Edit, from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post453200586
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-11-27 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking news, adult man ejects toys from pram after people with jobs don't have time to coddle him.
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Breaking news, adult man ejects toys from pram after people with jobs don't have time to coddle him.
    he was a 200k$ backer who supplied the local dev pad with food, beer, and kept them company when they wernt on deadlines. Dunno wtf you mean by coddle. He didnt walk in and demand that people kneel before him, after he saw tons of people fired or leaving he noticed nothing was getting done, people were spending more time redoing old shit than making new shit, ANd then the very high ups, the ones that are supposed to please thier financial supporters snubbed him. In a game where they will need every last dollar to finish its a stupid move and i think pretty evident on how things are going there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    he was a 200k$ backer who supplied the local dev pad with food, beer, and kept them company when they wernt on deadlines. Dunno wtf you mean by coddle. He didnt walk in and demand that people kneel before him, after he saw tons of people fired or leaving he noticed nothing was getting done, people were spending more time redoing old shit than making new shit, ANd then the very high ups, the ones that are supposed to please thier financial supporters snubbed him. In a game where they will need every last dollar to finish its a stupid move and i think pretty evident on how things are going there.
    That's kinda the reasoning behind my post (albeit undisclosed) is that he has legitimate concerns and a somewhat unique view point of the situation yet the thick of most of his posts in that thread are about being snubbed on a personal level, which no one really has any reason to care about relative to the state of the project. There are much better points on the same page that post is taken from let alone the rest of the thread, just seems like a strange one to focus on.
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,

In this week's "Weekly Dev Update", they have added another 50,000 invites for the PTU version of 2.0 and released a new patch today.

EDIT - Also, SC just passed $98 million in funding. It will be at $100 million by Christmas.

Here's a funny attempted rescue mission video from a streamer...

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2015-11-28 at 03:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    That's kinda the reasoning behind my post (albeit undisclosed) is that he has legitimate concerns and a somewhat unique view point of the situation yet the thick of most of his posts in that thread are about being snubbed on a personal level, which no one really has any reason to care about relative to the state of the project. There are much better points on the same page that post is taken from let alone the rest of the thread, just seems like a strange one to focus on.
    That thread should probably be read with a dose of salt honestly, DS is being trolled just as much as SC is, albeit in a more subtle manner, he's just having his head too far up his own arse to be able to see it.

I don't think half of em even gives a shit about how either star citizen or DS turns out, but they're egging him on because they find his activity entertaining.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-11-28 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    when the company will fold in 2016 everyone will be like "but wheres the 100 mils?". i'm 99% sure that sales numbers are fabricated to suggest a wealthy trend. and the real $ went to 4 mocap studios, 10-20 mils in acting fees, 2 years of wages re doing same stuff, to many office relocations, 1500$ desks and 1000$ coffee tables, etc.

This is what an alpha looks like for Behavior Interactive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgELu6-c50

This is what an alpha looks like for Ubisoft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAMEoJFTcw

This is what an alpha looks like for Cloud Imperium Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxsWHqk_t78

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2015-11-28 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    On SomethingAwful, presumably in one of the threads on star citizen there, latest one started by Derek Smart who is also referred to within the post.

The use of the term "Goon" is a pretty good identifier on where its from, since that's what they call themselves on there.

Edit, from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post453200586
    Yeah, thing about SomethingAwful and the Goons in games specifically is... don't listen to them. Don't let them near the development process and for god's sake, don't make them feel important.

What'll happen is that they somehow talk themselves into thinking they are entitled to take part in design or production decisions. And if they don't get it, they start bullying. That dude making that post? He's gone? Good riddance. He's giving a very sketchy view of what's going on at CIG and draws some fucked up conclusions off of that.

I wouldn't give a dime on what he said or thinks should be done. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    That thread should probably be read with a dose of salt honestly, DS is being trolled just as much as SC is, albeit in a more subtle manner, he's just having his head too far up his own arse to be able to see it.

I don't think half of em even gives a shit about how either star citizen or DS turns out, but they're egging him on because they find his activity entertaining.
    Here's someone understanding SA perfectly.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

What'll happen is that they somehow talk themselves into thinking they are entitled to take part in design or production decisions. And if they don't get it, they start bullying. That dude making that post? He's gone? Good riddance. He's giving a very sketchy view of what's going on at CIG and draws some fucked up conclusions off of that.
    He was in the studio, he looked at thier computers, he talked to the devs that were there often. How the fuck does that mean he doesnt know what was going on at that branch? Just cus hes from somthingawfull? I hate goons as much as the next but that doesnt mean hes clueless. He may have not had the whole picture, but anyone that has a basic understanding of game design that sits in a studio or a while, talks to the devs over chow, and watchs them work can have a decent idea of whats being done or whats not being done.

Deleted
    The Goons are coming?

Keep Mittens away for the love of all you hold dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    The Goons are coming?
    You can only shot pos for so long before you want something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason I viewed EvcRo's post, I guess out of morbid curiosity. And I'm kinda glad I did because that is pure comedy.

He is comparing Ubisoft, the guys who released Assassins Creed: Unity, to CIG. And not only that, but he is comparing Star Citizen to a polished "alpha" of a game that never leaves a 3 bedroom house.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2015-11-28 at 03:57 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    The Goons are coming?

So many Star Citizen backers with PTSD from after getting wrecked by Goonswarm in EVE lol.

Derek Smart is truly one of the greatest Internet Warlords. He's provided more fun content about Star Citizen than CIG probably ever will.