10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I know iv said this before but this is a space gake , so when the fuck are they gona stop rolling out ships desgned for atmospheric flight. Almost none of these ships look like spacecraft
    Considering how ever ship is supposed to be capable of atmospheric flight for landing on planets, I'm going to go with never. You won't be getting this game anyways, it's clearly not designed with you in mind. So why do you even care?

On a positive note, I think I was a pretty early backer when they were still on kick starter so hopefully I get MP soon!
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2014-06-14 at 11:36 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know iv said this before but this is a space gake , so when the fuck are they gona stop rolling out ships desgned for atmospheric flight. Almost none of these ships look like spacecraft
    What's the point of a ship if you can't land the fucking thing on planet? The only ships that should be space bound are absurdly large military vessels like a space station or battle cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Considering how ever ship is supposed to be capable of atmospheric flight for landing on planets, I'm going to go with never. You won't be getting this game anyways, it's clearly not designed with you in mind. So why do you even care?

On a positive note, I think I was a pretty early backer when they were still on kick starter so hopefully I get MP soon!
    first of all i do plan on getting it if it ever comes out. now second ill explain a few basic and i thought obvious things about spaceship design.

When designing a starship there are a few factors that should decide if you want it to be able to do atmospheric flight or just space. If you want it to be able to go into the atmosphere then you need to take the following points into account.

*Mass - its mass cant be to large of ungainly or it wont survive reentry or take off into orbit.

*aerodynamics - any ship that is going planetside has to be aerodynamic or it wont flight in atmosphere. And with this follows lack of additional mass and structure design.

*armor - following the above 2 points your armoring will be alot different from a space fairing ship that never lands since you will need to conform to atmopheric flight standards, be aerodynamic and not to heavy.

There is no reason for most ships to land or going into an atmosphere. All or most ship building should happen in zero g or orbit. And when you need to go planet side you can either take a small fighter/transport craft or mass landers which are built for that purpose. There is no reason for a frigate sized ship or above to go planet side, none at all, all your docking refueling and cargo movement should be done station side. this allows you to build a better armed, armored and struterally intact ship since you dont have to account for takeoff/rentry/windstress.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be having consistency in ship design from the human race, alien ships will most likely look very different and not have the "airplane" feel to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    first of all i do plan on getting it if it ever comes out. now second ill explain a few basic and i thought obvious things about spaceship design.

When designing a starship there are a few factors that should decide if you want it to be able to do atmospheric flight or just space. If you want it to be able to go into the atmosphere then you need to take the following points into account.

*Mass - its mass cant be to large of ungainly or it wont survive reentry or take off into orbit.

*aerodynamics - any ship that is going planetside has to be aerodynamic or it wont flight in atmosphere. And with this follows lack of additional mass and structure design.

*armor - following the above 2 points your armoring will be alot different from a space fairing ship that never lands since you will need to conform to atmopheric flight standards, be aerodynamic and not to heavy.

There is no reason for most ships to land or going into an atmosphere. All or most ship building should happen in zero g or orbit. And when you need to go planet side you can either take a small fighter/transport craft or mass landers which are built for that purpose. There is no reason for a frigate sized ship or above to go planet side, none at all, all your docking refueling and cargo movement should be done station side. this allows you to build a better armed, armored and struterally intact ship since you dont have to account for takeoff/rentry/windstress.
    All of their ships have mass and weight distribution in mind, even the space flight depends on it. A space ship also doesn't necessarily have to be "flying" to land on a planet, these are super advanced futuristic ships, some even alien, and I'm sure they are more than capable of landing/takeoff solely in VTOL mode. You also have to take into account that we have only seen a fraction of the amount of ships they are making, and are currently working on. Even thought they are incredibly open about the production of the game, I'm sure there are many ships they are working on that are just not ready to be shown. And in 2 years or so they will have so many more. If you look at the ship specs page there are already ships there with names and no pictures.

The Constellation, for example, doesn't look like it will be doing much, if any, atmospheric flight.

Move along.

Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    That would be having consistency in ship design from the human race, alien ships will most likely look very different and not have the "airplane" feel to them.
    The Vanduul Scythe is currently the only alien ship that has been revealed and it looks like a ship out if Star Trek to be honest. Since we really don't know much about the alien races in the game right now, I'd expect there to be little on alien ships as well.

All of their ships have mass and weight distribution in mind, even the space flight depends on it. A space ship also doesn't necessarily have to be "flying" to land on a planet, these are super advanced futuristic ships, some even alien, and I'm sure they are more than capable of landing/takeoff solely in VTOL mode. You also have to take into account that we have only seen a fraction of the amount of ships they are making, and are currently working on. Even thought they are incredibly open about the production of the game, I'm sure there are many ships they are working on that are just not ready to be shown. And in 2 years or so they will have so many more. If you look at the ship specs page there are already ships there with names and no pictures.

The Constellation, for example, doesn't look like it will be doing much, if any, atmospheric flight.
    Why do these big ships need to land? There is no reason, they can refuel in space, repair in space, and do everything there, Regardless of how futuristic it is you still have to build the ship to survive reentry and be aerodynamic and when you do that you weakn its structure for space combat. There is no reason aside from basic fighters and landing craft for starships to land on a planet.

Deleted
    You don`t really need ships to be aerodynamic, apart from to look funky(?), if you`ve got a ship with unearthly amounts of power, because then you can re-enter as controlled as you want by using all that power.
    True, it`d be a waste, but if you`ve got it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    You don`t really need ships to be aerodynamic, apart from to look funky(?), if you`ve got a ship with unearthly amounts of power, because then you can re-enter as controlled as you want by using all that power.
    True, it`d be a waste, but if you`ve got it...
    Well if it cant fly in air after rentry its just a falling brick. Besides by taking the larger ships planetside ur burning retarded amounts of fuel. The only time frigates or above should get close to atmosphere is when your glassing a planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zeta if you want realistic space ships take a look at the cheese wedges in elite dangerous. I'll gladly take Star citizen's ships even if they don't look like a real space faring ship would.

Edit: Examples:

Last edited by Alvarado; 2014-06-15 at 06:44 PM.

I assume these space crafts needs stabilizers and possibly non-rear mounted engines as well. This would kind of make it pointless to create a aerodynamic ship.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I thought the mods already warned you to stop shitposting Zeta?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarado View Post
    Zeta if you want realistic space ships take a look at the cheese wedges in elite dangerous. I'll gladly take Star citizen's ships even if they don't look like a real space faring ship would.
    Or these?

I guess it depends on whether one likes hard sci-fi or fantasy sci-fi. Elite has always been the former and the devs would be doing the fans a large injustice if they re-modeled their ships to look pretty before all else. Braben (co-creator of Elite) is insistant that priority is always given to function over form.

Well if it cant fly in air after rentry its just a falling brick. Besides by taking the larger ships planetside ur burning retarded amounts of fuel. The only time frigates or above should get close to atmosphere is when your glassing a planet.
    Zeta, SC ships use shields to reenter the atmosphere, so heat shielding is irelevant.

The only SC ships in game that can land are frigates and below, which 8 quite reasonable (frigates in SC are about the size of a modern day jumbo jet).

SC ships use reactors that can spew out inane amounts of power, so fuel isn't particularly a problem.

SC is an exaggerated Sci - Fi game. Again, if your going for realisim, look at Elite, or better yet Kerbal Space Program.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Zeta, SC ships use shields to reenter the atmosphere, so heat shielding is irelevant.

The only SC ships in game that can land are frigates and below, which 8 quite reasonable (frigates in SC are about the size of a modern day jumbo jet).

SC ships use reactors that can spew out inane amounts of power, so fuel isn't particularly a problem.

SC is an exaggerated Sci - Fi game. Again, if your going for realisim, look at Elite, or better yet Kerbal Space Program.
    if frigates are the largest then id like to see some real starship designs from them not atmosphere ones. Im not going to absolute realism in my expectations but at least beleaveable. And regardless of the reactors putting out larges amounts of power it still uses fuel. WHen i hear star citizen i expect star, not atmosphere citizen.

10+ Year Old Account
    if frigates are the largest then id like to see some real starship designs from them not atmosphere ones. Im not going to absolute realism in my expectations but at least beleaveable. And regardless of the reactors putting out larges amounts of power it still uses fuel. WHen i hear star citizen i expect star, not atmosphere citizen.
    So this?
    This video was released back in 2012. In the opening scene you can see how massive it is by the size of the Hornets parked on the top of the ship.

Move along.

So this?
    This video was released back in 2012. In the opening scene you can see how massive it is by the size of the Hornets parked on the top of the ship.

yes more of this. though thats a very smallish carrier.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes more of this. though thats a very smallish carrier.
    If that carrier is small to you i think you will be dissapointed, at least for the moment. That carrier being a Bengal is the second biggest ship that is known at the moment in the game, save for a Vanduul carrier being perhaps a 1.5 in size if that ship is a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    If that carrier is small to you i think you will be dissapointed, at least for the moment. That carrier being a Bengal is the second biggest ship that is known at the moment in the game, save for a Vanduul carrier being perhaps a 1.5 in size if that ship is a 1.
    Well that ships hangars are very cramped, so much so that it uses up to 3 launch points with elevators moving the fighters between decks. TBH it looks as cramped as a modernday aircraft carrier. Its guns which i saw mounted on it dont look like hull busters either, rather small and more for point defence. Now i saw 4 medium sized weapons but nothing really that would do much damage to something of the same size. But yes this is a small carrier. It may be large by planet terms, but in a place without size limits like space its very very very small.

1. If that's small to you, then, well...

2. This is just the vanilla UEE carrier that'll be in game at launh. There will undoutedly be new models launching later as the PU is updated regularly.

3. Carriers are carriers, not battleships. Remember that.

4. You think that hangar bay is cramped? You should visit an aircraft carrier museum. Now... THOSE hangars are cramped! The Bengal bay is luxuriously large in comparison.

5. And... back to size: size doesn't matter; it's the capabilities of the craft that does.