Flight physics seem fine to me, http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Flight_Physics though I wouldn't mind if the thrust visuals were realistic (maybe it could be an option).

I haven't played Star Citizen but I have played Space Engineers a lot. And it too has a realistic physics model when it comes to flight. You can either manually adjust your thrust, or turn on inertial dampeners which do what they imply: the computer/AI takes control of your thrust and decides how to adjust it to match the desired adjustments you want to make. No laws of physics are broken and the game still plays good.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Would be funny if they added some sort of battery/alternator type mechanic for your energy levels. Something that requires motion to charge it. Sitting still would work for a period, but you'd quickly run out of power until you spun up your engines again.

Personally I don't find it very fun to sit there turret'ing, I have way more fun flying like a fuckin' mad man.
    Aye that could be interesting, have radiation/heat build up while the reactors are charged which requires movement to cool/dissipate. Could introduce deployable radiators so turreting is still an option but offers a weak point for those with more maneuverable ships.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Would be funny if they added some sort of battery/alternator type mechanic for your energy levels. Something that requires motion to charge it. Sitting still would work for a period, but you'd quickly run out of power until you spun up your engines again.

Personally I don't find it very fun to sit there turret'ing, I have way more fun flying like a fuckin' mad man.
    Nah, turret-ing should be a thing imo, in fact, I imagined the Hornet to be like that, based on the looks, when I first saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    Nah, turret-ing should be a thing imo, in fact, I imagined the Hornet to be like that, based on the looks, when I first saw it.
    It shouldn't be some go to thing though for baddies lol. More of a once in a while thing.

Last thing we need is a dozen hornet pilots doing this everywhere

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Sweet fuck, how do you still not even understand what it is after 66 pages? You can't just have decoupled mode running in tandem with pitch/yaw/roll/strafe, it wouldn't even work unless you have 3 arms. Unless you want to explain to everyone how you're going to achieve 6DoF and simultaneously have absolute control of your craft's orientation in a sphere independent to your vector?

It's shit like this that makes my head hurt.
    You have a keyboard with how many buttons? Sorry wanting a spacecraft to be able to fly like a spacecraft makes you angry. This is a space sim no?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    You have a keyboard with how many buttons? Sorry wanting a spacecraft to be able to fly like a spacecraft makes you angry. This is a space sim no?
    So your suggestion is to use the keyboard to do what, control all 6dof? Or use keyboard controls to align your ship in a 3d sphere? Or I know, make the mouse control the 3d sphere and move pitch yaw roll and throttle to the keyboard...because we all have mutant hands and that wouldn't be goddamn terrible at all. How pray-tell shall they modify that for HOTAS or controller setups?

How about this, go actually pledge, play the game as it stands right now and come back when you have a modicum of understanding. This game of trying to explain things to you with no frame of reference and being argued with is getting old.

At which point if you had questions or could articulate an actual reason why you think things don't "fly like spacecraft," you could ask that question not from a position of utter ignorance and I (and probably others more knowledgable even) would be glad to clarify.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-08-20 at 10:24 PM.

Pretty much yeah. And being a bullet sponge (just finished a match as I'm typing this, there's this dude who was afk/dc'd, I was literally within 100 m stationary and shooting at him, my weapons overheated before his shields depleted :P) they just don't care if they get hit.
    That definitely sounds like something that will see a balance patch then, unless you had the starter ship, and it's just supposed to be that terrible.

It shouldn't be some go to thing though for baddies lol. More of a once in a while thing.

Last thing we need is a dozen hornet pilots doing this everywhere
    I just had an idea last night, what if, turret-ing is a thing, but ! missiles are the bane of your existence ? I mean, when stationary, missiles are much, MUCH harder to avoid even with flares.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    That definitely sounds like something that will see a balance patch then, unless you had the starter ship, and it's just supposed to be that terrible.

300i, so kinda in the middle. Though, truth be told, I haven't tried any of the store bought weapons, I'm currently using 2 of the stock canons and the repeater from the turret in the hangar (Ever since they changed Omniskys I hate them :P)

Deleted
    I just had an idea last night, what if, turret-ing is a thing, but ! missiles are the bane of your existence ? I mean, when stationary, missiles are much, MUCH harder to avoid even with flares.
    Standing still in any kind of pvp game is a terrible terrible mistake.

I wasn't aware you could buy upgraded equipment for the ships atm as well. I thought it was just buying the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I wasn't aware you could buy upgraded equipment for the ships atm as well. I thought it was just buying the hull.
    just guns afaik, using UEC in the Voyager Direct store.

So I've played the game a bit (2 days). I want to know something though. Can I, after they make keybinds customizable, be able to remove the mouse's ability to move the ship, and just make it so when only I hold right or left click, to be able to move around with the mouse?
    Because for me, flying like this will surely not be fun. Here's what I would like it to be;
    W - Forward
    S - Backwards
    Q - Roll Left
    E - Roll Right
    D - Strafe Right
    A - Strafe Left
    and holding a mouse button to allow me to manouver.

Sorry if this has been answered, I have no idea what 6dof and all that stuff means. This was my simple way of understanding.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    So I've played the game a bit (2 days). I want to know something though. Can I, after they make keybinds customizable, be able to remove the mouse's ability to move the ship, and just make it so when only I hold right or left click, to be able to move around with the mouse?
    Because for me, flying like this will surely not be fun. Here's what I would like it to be;
    W - Forward
    S - Backwards
    Q - Roll Left
    E - Roll Right
    D - Strafe Right
    A - Strafe Left

Sorry if this has been answered, I have no idea what 6dof and all that stuff means. This was my simple way of understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    W - Forward
    S - Backwards
    Q - Roll Left
    E - Roll Right
    D - Strafe Right
    A - Strafe Left

Right now the controls cannot be remapped, that is coming with the next patch. As is proper 6dof (including strafe while out of decoupled mode). Right this moment you can only strafe while in decoupled mode (caps lock). Oversight or technical limitation, take your pick. Either way, next week should sort that out. You won't need to hold a button to maneuver necessarily and can setup your keys as you have indicated.

Deleted
    Hi, I haven't done much reading on this game and I'm just looking for two bits of info after looking at their website quickly and seeing some "interesting" things.

#1 is this game pay2win? It sure looks like it from the outside, since you can buy a shit ship for $40 orso all the way up to huge ships for hundreds of dollars. I don't really have any interest in a game where some arsehole can slap down a bunch of money to totally outclass everyone and destroy your 100s of hours of play building up to something.

#2 if it's really not pay2win, how are they planning to monetise the game? I saw something about a $10 and $20 subscription plan and a way to buy what I assume is IG currency (technically a form of pay2win if it can help you attain power). Anything else?

#1 No; you can buy ships now with real world money to help contribute towards the game's funding, but everything can be obtained normally ingame (well, except the trival little gifts CIG gives to donator subscribers such as bobble-heads). Once game goes live, you can't pre-purchase ships anymore, only the game. There's not going to be long grinds; it will play like a real game. No pay-2-win here.

#2 Expansions, and donation subscriptions.

It's pay to advance, pay for convenience, cash for goods or whatever you want to call it, someone who buys a few ships now could save themselves a couple of hundred hours in-game. They will certainly be able to do a lot in that extra time compared to someone who chooses to earn their ships. It might not fit the textbook definition of p2w but it's definitely paying to put yourself higher up the ladder.

There is also a cash shop (in a pre-alpha?) that sells weapons etc.

The onus as always is on the player even if it's a bit shady for the company to provide it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    It's pay to advance, pay for convenience, cash for goods or whatever you want to call it, someone who buys a few ships now could save themselves a couple of hundred hours in-game. They will certainly be able to do a lot in that extra time compared to someone who chooses to earn their ships. It might not fit the textbook definition of p2w but it's definitely paying to put yourself higher up the ladder.

There is also a cash shop (in a pre-alpha?) that sells weapons etc.

The onus as always is on the player even if it's a bit shady for the company to provide it.
    But, again; the shop will be removed at launch, which means you won't be able to pay money for ships, items, or anything, just to emphasize the point of it; it's there to help fund, not give players an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    But, again; the shop will be removed at launch, which means you won't be able to pay money for ships, items, or anything, just to emphasize the point of it; it's there to help fund, not give players an advantage.
    Cus 55 million for a game that will be sub based to begin with isnt enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    That I didn't realise, thanks for clearing that up.