I think you're being shortsighted in making blanket statements that the audiences are "completely different". The several thousand pilot battles in EVE are few and far between, and with time-dilation you aren't so much participating as watching a slideshow. It's also not clear yet how the instancing works as you've mentioned. Yes a single instance may only be 60 people, but if there are seamless transitions to other instances, an entire theater of action might encompass hundreds of people.

And for people who have the space-sim/MMO itch -- EVE has been pretty much the only game in town. You can't convince me there aren't a chunk of people in EVE that are only sticking with it because it's good enough for them now, but wouldn't love to play something that's more involved than "stare at dot on map and press F1-F6, maximize transversal and yawn". Industry is also severely short-changed in EVE due to various factors, chiefly the devs belief in small-gang roaming and risk vs. reward for mining is shit, ore respawn rates are slow, etc.

Sure, there may be a few who will want to pull away and head for SC, but considering the sheer difficultly and time investment EVE requires to get into the game, the players who are playing EVE now will stay nontheless because they want to play EVE. I seriously doubt that there's a considerable amount of EVE players who've only stayed in that club just because they were waiting for something better will make any noticeable difference when they leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The game is probably going to be in beta status for a minimum of a year before they look at even having an official launch day. Just one area of the planet side modules took them this long to do and there are going to be lots of planets with unique environments and characteristics, and I think that will be the longest portion of development to be honest. I don't know how many planets and star systems they plan on having at release but even designing 50 unique planets will take a lot of time. I think it's probably one of the areas with the largest development focus because there is so much art work to do and then a crap load of coding and designing the world in the engine, adding in unique NPC's to each world as well as the whole mission component on each planet.
    Long development cycles don't equate a better game and or experience. Keep that in mind.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Long development cycles don't equate a better game and or experience. Keep that in mind.
    Your absolutely right; they don't guarantee a better game and or experience. But history, science, and experience has proven that a longer development cycle means more time to do whatever the hell the developer wants and to polish up the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Sure, there may be a few who will want to pull away and head for SC, but considering the sheer difficultly and time investment EVE requires to get into the game, the players who are playing EVE now will stay nontheless because they want to play EVE. I seriously doubt that there's a considerable amount of EVE players who've only stayed in that club just because they were waiting for something better will make any noticeable difference when they leave.
    I quit wow because it was too much, and i had worked really hard to be where i was, but i wanted to try something new, so i bet some eve players will join us in SC.

Well we'll see which of us is right. Staring at targeting icons as you lob shots at each other from 200km isn't very exciting. And as the saying goes "EVE Online is 99% Boredom, 1% Sheer Terror" as it takes a really long time to even find an engagement, and if you don't have the right comp to fight them, you're basically SOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    I quit wow because it was too much, and i had worked really hard to be where i was, but i wanted to try something new, so i bet some eve players will join us in SC.
    I know that is true as a fact, there a number of eve veterans in my current organisation that have been playing EVE for at least 6-7 years previously and still do, can't imagine they are the only ones out there.

One big thing that SC will have going for it: Since the game is twitch-based, you can bring friends up to speed in the game with twinking really easily I would imagine. Whereas in EVE, unless you buy an account you will always be behind others in SP, and you need years in some cases to fly the larger ships with quality modules.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    One big thing that SC will have going for it: Since the game is twitch-based, you can bring friends up to speed in the game with twinking really easily I would imagine. Whereas in EVE, unless you buy an account you will always be behind others in SP, and you need years in some cases to fly the larger ships with quality modules.
    I'm pretty sure Elite 4 is more likely to pull players away from EVE than SC is; EVE players want a massive universe where they and their dozens of corp mates can spend thousands of hours flying around, trying to get the Elite title or establishing a galactic empire. Which is exactly what Elite 4 will provde. Star Citizen, on the other hand, is not about ruling the universe or getting the most achievement points: it's a dedicated roleplaying paradise set in a small, intricately handcrafted world where you immerse yourself in the experience, not the raw numbers.

Apparently Illfonic is doing an FPS Module AMA on reddit right now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...k_us_anything/

also shameless plug, my org is giving away a Cutlass Blue add on package :E

https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...-cutlass-blue/
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-10-24 at 06:45 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, I really hope this guy isn't over exaggerating. Because the amount of detail they are trying to put in this game is insane! And if they really do all of it this game will be legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by question
    Can you provide an example of the kind of gameplay experience you're looking for? Maybe a description of what an encounter between two players might be like in terms of lethality, weapons used, moves used, length of play, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by answer
    there are so many. lets just pull one randomly from the sky.
    A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I find it so hard trying to balance excitement with the tempered expectation that some of this shit is just wishful thinking D:

Nice article put up today on how ships are made and the current build status of them...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...-Ship-Pipeline

That AMA was pretty good too by the FPS group. Here's a nice synopsis of all the questions and answers on Reddit. My top three...

Q: What games are you drawing mechanical inspiration from?
    A: A mixture of Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, Arma, Delta Force, Kill Zone

Q: On top of this, what sort of health mechanic do you plan to use? And if the player is wounded, will the experience slower movement and greater weapon sway etc?
    A: Absolutely, your limb damage will have severe impacts on how the mechanics work - and it is limb specific too, not just an overall of 'oh youre kind of hurt'. For example, if your left arm is hurt but you throw grenades with your right, your right throw won't really be impacted.
    Q: Will people be able to select their dominant hand? Or will everyone be presumed to be right-handed?
    A: It is planned for players to choose their dominant hand it will have a direct impact resulting from limb damage.

Q: Will people be able to bunny hop to avoid fire? Or will jumping be limited to prevent this? People bunny hopping and constantly jumping all around has ruined a number of shooter games for me.
    A: NO BUNNY HOPPING.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    ...And sold!

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Q: Will people be able to bunny hop to avoid fire? Or will jumping be limited to prevent this? People bunny hopping and constantly jumping all around has ruined a number of shooter games for me.
    What the? Everyone loves a noob rabbit. Target practice. What next? Eliminate side to side movement? That is usually more effective as it can be unpredictable hence "noob rabbit".

cheating ass vanduul trying to ram shit!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    What the? Everyone loves a noob rabbit. Target practice. What next? Eliminate side to side movement? That is usually more effective as it can be unpredictable hence "noob rabbit".
    It's not really a noob tactic to game the system that is designed poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's not really a noob tactic to game the system that is designed poorly.
    Depends how jumping is implemented, if it is ballistic jumping is a sure way to fail and certainly not "gaming the system". Hop on counterstrike and try it, no pun intended.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having been a competitive MechWarrior player, bunny hopping is how you can mess with hit registration online. It's actually a critical tactic for light pilots because they have so little armor that speed and spreading damage by juking enemies hit registration is one of the only ways to survive against a 100 ton assault that can put enough damage into you to destroy all your armor in one hit.