Page 1 of 971
... LastLast

[Megathread] Star Citizen

Its about damn time someone made this.
    http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Star Citizen is an upcoming space trading and combat simulator video game for the PC Platform. Star Citizen will consist of two main elements: a persistent world massively multiplayer online game mixing elements of 1st person space combat and interstellar trade (known as Star Citizen) and a branching single-player and drop-in co-operative multiplayer[5] campaign (known as Squadron 42), together with customizable private server components. The game will feature Oculus Rift support.
    Both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are set in a 30th-century Milky Way centered around the fictional UEE (United Empire of Earth), an analogue of the late Roman Empire. A central theme of the game is citizenship (or lack thereof) in the UEE, which must be earned through player actions (such as completing a period of military service). It is anticipated that Citizens will enjoy certain in game benefits, for example paying a reduced tax rate or having easier access to interspecies trade,[6] but the exact details are yet to be determined.
    A strong focus will be placed on player interaction, with player behaviour influencing and being influenced by a dynamic economy system.
    Star citizen is going to be a space sim MMO with combat inspired by Roberts earlier works.
    source
    Here's a trailer

Here's a video from GDC

Here's a video on the economy

Here's some info on the galaxy

Here's a story that sets up the feel of SC
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...an-perspective

Here's background on planets, ships, podcasts, and some updates.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...k/transmission

Here's an interview

Here's a video on the AI

Hanger module

Some customization

Here's some prealpha dog fighting
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2014-02-05 at 11:49 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

This is the first time in YEARS I'm so exited for a game. Even more than for any wow xpac or even wow itself.

I LOVED spacesims back then (WingCommander 3,4,5, Privateer, xwing/tiefighter stuff etc.) - and now, for the first time in years this kind of game will be back, with badass graphic. I mean they just showed a pre-alpha and it looks more then awesome.

Somewhere in a box I have my old logitech xtreme joystick - time to search for it. Only problem will be ... I don't have gameport anymore. You know, the thing that was always on your soundcard

Oh, btw. - another, even better trailer for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

Neeeeddddd =:]
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

Yup, I think I'll throw some money at it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Wow. Seems like a nice game, space games are something that I enjoy a lot!

A good space sim would be nice. Looks a little too open ended for my tastes though, more MMO-ish than story driven.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one appropriate response to news of this magnitude.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    There is only one appropriate response to news of this magnitude.

SirRobin.

You know how badly I've wanted this.

I concur with your meme so hard it hurts.

I look forward to seeing you in game /salute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    SirRobin.

You know how badly I've wanted this.

I concur with your meme so hard it hurts.

I look forward to seeing you in game /salute.
    /salute

Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-10-11 at 08:49 PM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully they have taken my money.

Now we wait.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

15+ Year Old Account
    It looks like it will be quite nice, but sadly I won't be supporting it until it's realeased. Just not in my nature to pay for something that I can't have right away and that I can't read reviews about

The website says the game will not be subscription-based, but will cost money to buy (think GW2) and the in-game purchases made with credits will be for cosmetic / convenience purposes only (read: not pay-to-win)

Looks good so far, and I'll be following it for sure
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Loved the Wing commander series, my first PC game i got to my first PC! Great memories, so i will buy this game for sure.

Deleted
    Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom! Better bring out the joystick again! altough I've had quite some training with my alternative stick.

A grand vision and I hope he pulls it off.

The website says the game will not be subscription-based, but will cost money to buy (think GW2) and the in-game purchases made with credits will be for cosmetic / convenience purposes only (read: not pay-to-win)
    I could have sworn he said nothing will be unattainable through pure time investment, not specifically that you won't be able to shortcut your way to power with cash. I would check but Zambian internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I could have sworn he said nothing will be unattainable through pure time investment, not specifically that you won't be able to shortcut your way to power with cash. I would check but Zambian internet.
    Convenience could be like... -15 minutes off cooldown on hearthstone for all we know.

I think we should wait till the game is in beta before we even start thinking about that sort of stuff.

So is there a monthly fee?

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    No. Try reading the posts in a thread before you respond. There are only a few of them...
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    New Update:

The Star Citizen Announcement

When I said I missed old school difficulty to gaming you probably didn’t think that I would make the pledge process more difficult than fighting the toughest boss monster in Demon’s Souls!

Well neither did I!

Wednesday morning we set out to prove that PC gaming and Space Sims are not dead… and prove it, we did!

We're absolutely floored by the attention and humbled by your comments. We hoped everyone would be excited about the big idea behind Star Citizen and Squadron 42 -- but we had no expectation about the kind of praise and interest we received yesterday.

The downside of all this attention was that the huge number of people from all around the world trying to learn about Star Citizen and make their pledge, crashed our custom crowd funding page and also took down the core community site.

Until then, we were on track to break crowd funding records. Now, thirty hours later, we're only just getting the core site back online. The proper crowd funding page is still unfortunately down, but we have a backup site that, while not having the full range of features we intended, can take people’s pledges. With this site we have to update the data manually as there is no way to easily collect the crowd funding statistics on a live basis, which is why you haven’t seen a counter on the backup site. We are working very hard to get the main crowd funding plug in to play nice with the rest of the site, so we can deliver the seamless experience we envisioned when opting to have the crowd funding integrated into the main community site. Don’t worry, no one has lost their golden ticket, and we will ensure that everyone who makes a pledge on the backup site is connected to their community account. Please be patient while we organize this process.

We didn't just set out to raise money to build a game; we set out to build a community. The intention was never to shut off the forums, disable the Golden Tickets or stop the flow of information after the launch; anything but. We hope you'll bear with us as we get the community back online. The features you've enjoyed for the past month will continue -- the Comm-Link, RSI Museum and Time Capsule -- along with much more information about Star Citizen and chances to interact with its development team. As we move forward in this endeavor, you are our strongest asset; a vanguard of dedicated fans who will help us build and promote this game.

If you're one of the lucky few warriors that snuck past the Java trolls and WordPress goblins to access the pledge site yesterday, thank you so much for your dedication.

If not, we promise we’ve beaten back these evil interlopers and ask you to pledge and spread the word to make this new universe possible. We are listening to you on the forums, are committed to giving you daily updates and will be rolling out some exciting new features in the coming days that hopefully make up for our initial snafu.

We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had. Seems everyone wants the RSI Constellation and physical goodies!

But we need get this up. Space Sims trumped RPGs in the old days, let’s get a little of that inter-genre friendly rivalry back!

If you haven’t made your pledge yet, please do as I would hate for the technical problems to have derailed our initial momentum. We still have a ways to go but I have no doubt with your support we will get there. This is our chance to tell the world: PC gaming and space sims are BACK!

Chris Roberts

Cloud Imperium Games

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-10-12 at 05:57 PM.

I'll be honest. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it had something to do with the Mass Effect Star Child. I am so glad it wasn't.

This game intrigues me. I played X-Wing back in the day (and even have a copy of the disks somewhere) and Freelancer as well.

I also am glad that game developers are bypassing the somewhat evil publishers and going to crowdsourcing. I want to support this, as well as the Obsidian game too. Unfortunately I need the green light from my wife, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The name is pretty underwhelming. Hopefully it will get "tweaked" along the way.

[movieannouncervoice]

Freelancer II: Wing Commander of Privateer Awesomeness

[/movieannouncervoice]

We want it so bad we crashed their crowdfunding page.

That's a good sign.