1. #1

    Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (PC)

    I haven't seen a thread on this yet, and Totalbiscuit doesn't have a WTF video up yet, so I was wondering what people think of it.

    I think the port is amazing. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was an alright port but nothing special. I thought this game was going to run like crap on my
    current system but it actually runs pretty smooth.

    The Story is short but then again it's a warm up for the real game coming up.

  2. #2
    Based on the minimum system requirements, it had better run bloody amazing. Seriously, for a game that was also released on last gen consoles that thing has some pretty silly minimum requirements.

  3. #3
    What I think of it? Asking money for a demo of a game is ridiculous.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  4. #4
    Its really short and looks amazing. There isn't really much too it. It is literally one mission that is suppose to give back story to chico and paz, as well as set up Phantom pains. The graphics are pretty damn good as well.

  5. #5
    the main mission can be completed in less than 5mins if you know what you are doing; but its easy to get at least 6hours out of this game playing the other missions and doing other stuff like collecting tapes/S Ranks

    PC optimization is insanely good, runs on pretty much anything at good settings only downside to the port is the crappy menus where you can't use the mouse on them (hope they fix it in TPP)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Based on the minimum system requirements, it had better run bloody amazing. Seriously, for a game that was also released on last gen consoles that thing has some pretty silly minimum requirements.
    The last gen versions run at 600p 30 fps with garbage assets. I doubt you can dial down the graphics as low as the last gen versions in this port.

    People are getting good performance out of the game at min and some even below min requirements. It's a good port.

  7. #7
    As a fan of the previous games, I'm disappointed in it. the price is too high for to little content. supposedly there is a bunch of side stuff to do, but i couldn't bring myself to hunt for it. while its been a while since i played the last major one, the controls felt really weird to me, I dont know if i just forgot them or if they changed though. I didn't care for the detection alerts, they just didn't feel helpful. I have mixed feelings about the reflex system. The only thing i can really say i liked was that you could use some of the vehicles and calling for the helicopter was kinda neat.

    I 've always felt you should never judge a book by it's cover, but if GZ is anything to go by, I'm not sure I'll be getting phantom pain.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The last gen versions run at 600p 30 fps with garbage assets. I doubt you can dial down the graphics as low as the last gen versions in this port.

    People are getting good performance out of the game at min and some even below min requirements. It's a good port.
    So what you're saying is that Kojima's studio couldn't be bothered to try to optimize the game on older hardware and instead decided to lean heavily on "next gen" while still wanting to capture the previous generations market?

    k

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So what you're saying is that Kojima's studio couldn't be bothered to try to optimize the game on older hardware and instead decided to lean heavily on "next gen" while still wanting to capture the previous generations market?

    k
    The fact the game runs on last gen consoles is in fact a miracle and took optimization. 600p and 30 fps is just what it took along with lower quality assets to even get the game off the ground.

    The PS4/PC versions of the game, even more so the PC version are visual marvels. They are also optimized to hell and run at 60 fps smooth. You are sitting here sounding like this is some typical cross gen garbage, actually watch high quality videos of the game. There are very few games out there that can rival the animation work and lighting going on here.

  10. #10
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Posts
    17,076

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Happy Hunting! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The fact the game runs on last gen consoles is in fact a miracle and took optimization. 600p and 30 fps is just what it took along with lower quality assets to even get the game off the ground.

    The PS4/PC versions of the game, even more so the PC version are visual marvels. They are also optimized to hell and run at 60 fps smooth. You are sitting here sounding like this is some typical cross gen garbage, actually watch high quality videos of the game. There are very few games out there that can rival the animation work and lighting going on here.
    When did I say it was cross gen garbage?

    I was simply commenting that it's shitty for a studio to release a horribly optimized game on any platform (PC or last gen) just to get sales. If you're going to release a game on that platform, you should spend the bloody time to optimize the game to run reasonably well, especially if the game is as small as this one. The fact that it runs as well as it does on current gen consoles while looking great is fantastic. The fact that it runs alright while looking awful on last gen consoles is terrible. The fact that the PC minimum specs are far higher than they should be given the fact that this is a game also released on last gen consoles is terrible.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Based on the minimum system requirements, it had better run bloody amazing. Seriously, for a game that was also released on last gen consoles that thing has some pretty silly minimum requirements.
    It runs like a dream on my rig, which is about 4 years old by now.
    Just calm down.
    My Stream - My Youtube Channel

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    When did I say it was cross gen garbage?

    I was simply commenting that it's shitty for a studio to release a horribly optimized game on any platform (PC or last gen) just to get sales. If you're going to release a game on that platform, you should spend the bloody time to optimize the game to run reasonably well, especially if the game is as small as this one. The fact that it runs as well as it does on current gen consoles while looking great is fantastic. The fact that it runs alright while looking awful on last gen consoles is terrible. The fact that the PC minimum specs are far higher than they should be given the fact that this is a game also released on last gen consoles is terrible.
    Where exactly are you proving the game is unoptimized on ps3/360 though? You aren't. Because it runs at 600p and 30 fps? Maybe take a look at actual resolutions and frame rates on last gen games, most of them are sub 720p. Really only sports games, GTAV, Halo and 360 / PS3 exclusives ran at native 720p. A lot of those games that ran at native 720p spent a large amount of time below 30 fps as well, Grounds Zeroes doesn't.

    The game started development on the ps3 long before they made the decision to upgrade it for next gen as well. Claiming it's not optimized is a joke, it runs like most last gen games would looking the way it does.

    They upgraded it to run at a next gen level, they didn't down port a terrible last gen version like Shadow of Mordor did.

    First you where claiming the game wasn't optimized on PC, got proven wrong now you are claiming the game isn't optimized on PS3/360 when that is far from the case. What's next? Time to bow out my friend, maybe just join the "it's a demo not worth money" party because you are losing the argument in regards to graphics and performance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •