[Civ V] Diplomacy/hostility

Sometimes the diplomacy in this game confuses me. Does just doing well in a game cause negative points with other civs? I mean, I have few troops. I'm not settling near people, I'm opening trading etc... but somehow 3 civs that were all my ally 10 turns ago all denounced me and are "hostile' .... but why? I don't think I'm perfect at this game, but I've spent a lot of time playing Civ 4 and 5...

Any tips or commentary are welcome.
    Master of Devils Advocacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    When will people learn? Every single man is Schrödinger's rapist.
    “Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” - Noam Chomsky

I never understood when or why they denounce people. It definitely has a random element in it: When I was working on a strategy for Praise the Victories, I saved every ~5 rounds or so to see how different approaches would change the course of the game over a few turns. Sometimes, even loading a game and ending a turn did lead to Portugal denounce me, sometimes not.

But I'm sure about some implications: If someone denounces you, it has a negative impact with your standing with other factions, especially when they're buddies. There are multiple other reasons they can become hostile: Being at war for some time with other nations or attacking and conquering city states, differences in social policies, you building a wonder they wanted before them, they wanting to expand where you are, ... In addition, the higher the difficulty, the more aggressive they become - against the player, and against all others. And sometimes they just seem to think that you're weak and a nice target to attack. Even if you have a good defensive position and can hold all attacks, just having a small military for your overall standing in the game may lead them to want a piece of the cake, i.e. your cities.

But all in all: Yep, diplomacy isn't the strong point of Civ5, and at times seems too random.

It does seem random at times. The only thing I can think of was taking wonders... I'm playing on small continents and kinda far from them.. which is why it was surprising lol...

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another thing I don't understand... how warmonger penalties are given for taking cities. In the same game I mentioned earlier... Russia, Carthage, and Songhai all war decced me. ... If I take a Songhai city I would get a major penalty... and with Carthage and Russia I would get only a minor one.
    Master of Devils Advocacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    When will people learn? Every single man is Schrödinger's rapist.
    “Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” - Noam Chomsky

I'm not sure about that one. I've never explicitly looked at it. I guess it depends mostly on two things: the time and the city.

Time: If you push early on, you can conquer a whole country and most others don't bother for the most part. In the later game, even taking a few cities from someone makes others skeptical.
    City: It seems big cities give a bigger warmongering "bonus" than small ones, with capitals being ahead. It would be realistic: A small village being sacked is small news compared to the occupation of a metropole.

But, as said, those are only guesses.