Page 1 of 2
LastLast

record 1080p, edit 1080p, render 1080p. videos still look terrible on youtube

this had gotten so frustrating, i'm like banging my head against my desk trying to figure out what i am doing wrong. i've looked up many videos on best editing/uploading/rendering to youtube videos for "the best quality" yet every time i'm getting let down by what i see on youtube after i upload a 30 sec video or so just to see if i've changed anything for the better.

can anyone help me out with this please, walk me through what to do correctly? i'm no genius when it comes to this but from all i've learned, these videos shouldnt look so horrible.

if any information is needed on what i'm doing please ask and i'll tell you whatever

any help is extremely appreciated

Deleted
    If I'm not mistaken, but doesn't youtube always lower the quality?

Deleted
    Could you link us a video you have made?

What software do you use? Mention everything from recording -> editing -> rendering -> finished product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I could think of messing it up is Youtube sometimes takes awhile to activate the HD quality of a video as it has to process it more than the lower quality. Least thats what happened to some of my videos.

Give the videos 24 hours to post-process on youtube, sometimes it takes a while to activate the 720p and 1080 HD option.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    How long do you wait before you watch the video that you upload? I know that it uploads starting with the lowest quality first, meaning that you'll have to wait a while until all available qualities are done uploading. Just try waiting a little while longer and see if that helps.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    youtube doesnt just store the data you upload and add a viewer, no matter what format you upload it is formatted and reprocessed to their own standards

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Could you link us a video you have made?

What software do you use? Mention everything from recording -> editing -> rendering -> finished product.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvkh...Y78XLiCA32Lyrg
    heres a spirit kings kill that i uploaded last night/this morning. i dont think its the "wait 24 hours for it to get to real 1080p/hd because the other vids have been up for days and look the same. like just look at the overlay image i put over my chat, the "smokey" look it has over the character you can totally see the pixels over it

heres my list of things i do:
    1. record with fraps at 30 fps
    2. open on sony vegas pro 12
    3. add image overlay, adjust the brightness, and add music
    4. render as
    5. upload to youtube on the youtube site straight from my computer

okay so the videos dont look "horrible" that was slightly exaggerating. but im just not satisfied with how they look and im like convinced that they could be better, crisper, less blurry, not fuzzy because i've seen other people upload videos that look almost as good as if im sitting watching them play and not a recording of it.

What are the render settings?

Make sure the video properties say 1920*1080, 30 FPS. Export as .mp4, 6Mbit/s video bitrate (youtube downscales to 6Mb/s anyway so don't bother rendering higher), 192 kb/s audio bitrate, 1920*1080 resolution, 30 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    What are the render settings?

Make sure the video properties say 1920*1080, 30 FPS. Export as .mp4, 6Mbit/s video bitrate (youtube downscales to 6Mb/s anyway so don't bother rendering higher), 192 kb/s audio bitrate, 1920*1080 resolution, 30 FPS.
    thats what i change them to, although im not sure which is the best template to use. i think the one i use is main concept avc/aac then use the internet hd 1080p one

I made my own custom template

I made my own custom template
    i know i have a custom one as well, thats just the one i was told to use and i changed settings within it. if thats what you mean by "custom"

These are my settings:

This is that video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuMVbAmJSFo

edit: fixed the image link
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-10-11 at 12:22 PM.

These are my settings:

This is that video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuMVbAmJSFo
    file not found

Video doesnt look bad on my end, crisp clear @ 1080.

I dont know what you want, OP. Your videos are crystal clear at 1080p. Please link me a video with even better quality thats not one of yours for reference, but right now I dont see any issues at all.

YouTube has some sort of encoding thing where you should ideally have the height be divisible by 16 so render at 1920x1072 and make sure it crops the top and bottom(I did that for my videos back when recording them and it was the only way to make my UI's pixel fonts sharp on YouTube).

Also, you want to render your videos at the highest quality as you can before exporting them to YouTube because YT will reduce the image quality even more from the Vegas compression.
    Last edited by Acquilae; 2012-10-11 at 05:08 PM.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

Deleted
    Get your eyes fixed.

Plain and simple here is the fix OP

#1 - Open your video in youtube

#2 - Navigate to the bottom right COG icon

#3 - Change to 1080p

#4 - ?????

#5 - Profit

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry OP, I understand what you're saying.

The video is still clear, but it looks like there's sort of a haze over everything like when you have your Gamma Correction turned up slightly too high. When you're actually playing WoW, do you play in Windowed (Fullscreen), or just plain Fullscreen?