Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

*sigh* Prot pallys

Anyone notice how fked up we get by the bosses in Mogu'shan Vaults? But when a dk is tanking it they barely take any dmg.

Nope. On the billion pulls we did on regular Guardians the first week I had a lower iLvl than the prot warrior and took less damage while tanking 2 than he did tanking one. I also did an LFR with a reasonably good DK and we took about the same damage but I also contributed nearly 45k hps to the raid/myself. It is all in managing your SoR buff and knowing when to pop CD's and not stand in epicenter, reset stacks with barrier, etc. Check your SoR buff up time. If it is low get your hit/exp up and snag some haste to get more HP built.
    Last edited by AFweaponMAN; 2012-10-11 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling

I take less damage than the better geared blood dk in my group, not for all fights and sometimes we take about the same as well.

Our prot pally takes about the same amount of damage than our guardian druid (or sometimes even less), does more DPS, more HPS, and brings better raid CDs.

Don't really see why you're complaining here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Prot Pallies take more damage when the person playing them doesn't know what he or she is doing. If you haven't gotten the hang of active mitigation yet (properly using your holy power on SotR and WoG), then that is likely your problem. If you're running around with 0 hit and expertise, that is adding to it. Etc.

Go to maintankadin.failsafedesign.com and check out some of the threads in the training section.

There are also a lot of other mechanics that can influence the amount of damage you're taking. On Stone Guard, for instance, a prot paladin using Hand of Purity on cooldown is going to take significantly less damage than other tanks.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2012-10-11 at 05:54 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Anyone notice how fked up we get by the bosses in Mogu'shan Vaults? But when a dk is tanking it they barely take any dmg.
    Pretty sure you should take less dmg at equivalent gear and they self heal more. On physical dmg at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are still superior to warriors and druids.
    It's a matter of time until DKs get the nerfbat.

Deleted
    I'm more worried about our dps than our survivability

you're doing something wrong. we're in a pretty good spot right now (other than I wish we did a little more dps)

it's all about active mitigation

Prot paladins are fine in vaults

Deleted
    Last night while progressing on stone guards hc (10m) our prot pally did about 90k dps, and 40k hps per try, while not taking too much damage.

I'd say tanks are pretty fucking op right now, especially prot pallys.

Deleted
    Lol just pop your freaking seal of insight. I do 10-30k HPS (depending on fight) as prot and this helps a lot on not taking much dmg. Also right timing on big hits by using SotR and efficient use of 5 HP point system / divine purpose can go a long way. I am fine so far in MV. We started raiding 2 days ago so killed only first 2 bosses but it was no problem tanking these really. Neither was the third boss, it's all about managing your SotR and Divine purpose proccs.

Deleted
    Nope. You are doing something wrong. We take alot less damage, heal more and do more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    Lol just pop your freaking seal of insight. I do 10-30k HPS (depending on fight) as prot and this helps a lot on not taking much dmg. Also right timing on big hits by using SotR and efficient use of 5 HP point system / divine purpose can go a long way. I am fine so far in MV. We started raiding 2 days ago so killed only first 2 bosses but it was no problem tanking these really. Neither was the third boss, it's all about managing your SotR and Divine purpose proccs.
    Does any one else use devine purpose, i am currently running with Holy Avenger, so i can wog/sotr during high damage phases.

On our heroic stone guard 25 kill last night I was top damage, third on healing, and third on damage taken behind our monk and dk off tanks.
    I was main tanking so I always had at least two of the dogs on me.

Prot paladins are amazing right now.

Deleted
    Can Paladins still wear healing cloth ? Maybe thats what hes doing wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    Does any one else use devine purpose, i am currently running with Holy Avenger, so i can wog/sotr during high damage phases.
    I started out using Holy Avenger. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome for on pull and then using it as both a burn cd or a defensive cd, but, I found that my damage intake was very easily healed through and Divine Purpose procs...A LOT. Some will say that the RNG is terrible for tanking and they are right. You want predictable CD's to match up with incoming damage but I find that with the amount of procs DP is still viable and more fun (Ashbringer aside). With the active mitigation style now present I like a little bit of randomness and besides, we still have plenty of CD's to rotate.

I dinged 90 today. Got some crafted shit and went straight in to HCs. After doing 6 we had 1 wipe on the bone shield boss in Scholo. My HP never went below 75%. Im not exp or hit capped. In piss gear. I love my prot pally . Just waiting to get him in a serious raid enviroment. Like peeps in this thread already pointed out its all about active mitigation. When you get a hang of it you will laugh all the way to the loot.

Note: Yeah I know its just HCs but still...

15+ Year Old Account
    While DK's are in a good place, as others have stated your problems are player end. Not class end.

Perhaps you need some help brushing up on what to do. Check out the Prot sticky, and other prot information sources and post and ask questions there.

Post your Armory here so we can make sure you're on the right track with gear, enchants, reforging, gems, all of that. Prot Paladin's are an Active Mitigation class, chances are you don't have the hang of it yet, and you're not running your character optimally spellwise or statwise. Let us help!
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    Being honest, we have Dk, Paladin (me) and Warrior tanks and so far Paladin Tank is what does best for our fights (I take a bit more damage but I heal 5x times as much as a DK)