Will of the Emperor 25 Normal

Howdy, I really just have one question about this fight, in particular 25 man. It seems that Qin-Xi has a very large variability in his melee swings, in that without changing an other variables, he sometimes hits me with his normal melee swing (No stacks on me, no gas) for 270k, and then other times he only hits me for 200k. I'm managing my bloodshield as best I can, but sometimes he just swings for half my health (270-280k) then other times he just does his normal thing.

Once my logs are uploaded and I can, I link to them. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nope I effectively avoided every devastating combo, minus a single stun towards the end. I wouldn't be asking this question if it was as simple as me getting the debuff. But I paid attention to my damage intake without boneshield, no stacks (armor debuffs), and no gas. I was noticing a swing difference of 80k between different melee swings.
    Rogue from 2004-Summer 2005
    Pally from Summer 2005-WOTLK Release
    DK tank, All WOTLK including HLK.
    DK DPS, Heroic Firelands... Didn't raid Tier 11, or normal mode Firelands
    Formerly of Medivh-US

Yeah, he just hits realllllly hard. Nothing else to it.

Well that's fantastic, so I guess the 80k difference in swings is something I should expect then? Cause that 80k difference is the difference between two shot, or three-four shotting me. As I'm just short of 600k health fully raid buffed.

With 590k HP, you are in 3 shot territory from both 280k swings and 200k swings.

Simple hots can, and do, easily push me high enough to be in four-shot territory for 200k swings, not the case with 280k. But I think it might have been simply the healer's not putting enough heals into me, considering we were 3.5 healing (3 real healers and a monk healer dpsing the boss...).
    Formerly of Medivh-US

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendale View Post
    Simple hots can, and do, easily push me high enough to be in four-shot territory for 200k swings, not the case with 280k. But I think it might have been simply the healer's not putting enough heals into me, considering we were 3.5 healing (3 real healers and a monk healer dpsing the boss...).
    If you're talking EH or TTL, you don;t take heals into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Wih View Post
    If you're talking EH or TTL, you don;t take heals into account.
    Technically no, but if your raid group runs with Resto Druids or Shaman, you realistically should be able to. But its not something to gear around, either.

Realistically if you're every going 6 seconds without a single heal your healers have other issues so being in a 3 shot situation shouldn't be a fatal problem. EH and TTL aren't designed to describe realistic situations, they're designed to describe worst case scenarios (as much as worst case scenarios are realistic, they should not be common).

Quote Originally Posted by Wih View Post
    Realistically if you're every going 6 seconds without a single heal your healers have other issues so being in a 3 shot situation shouldn't be a fatal problem. EH and TTL aren't designed to describe realistic situations, they're designed to describe worst case scenarios (as much as worst case scenarios are realistic, they should not be common).
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, thus me saying its not something to gear around. But its also correct to assume that with a Druid in raid, you would have 6 ticks of at least Lifebloom in a 6 second damage window. Its more along the lines of what to look for in logs when a tank dies. No heals (even HoTs) in a 6 second window? Ask the healers what was wrong.

Gearing to take four 200k shots at this gear level is impossible, no?
    Last edited by Anastacy; 2012-10-12 at 10:16 AM.

200k shots - to take the 4th, and be in 5 shot range is not currently an option AFAIK (similar for 4 shot range for 270k hits). To take the 3rd and be in 4 shot range should be with heroic gear and/or stam stacking.

I wasn't necessarily considering changing my gearing around because of hots, but what they do change the way I can get away with timing DS. If I can get away with soaking 3 hits for a DS, at what appears to be 1.5 second swing timer according to my death log(s), I can get a better blood shield, than can if I can only soak 2.

And just to clarify, this thread wasn't for necessarily me not knowing how to blood DK, it was more about me trying to figure out which side of the variance of 80k I should expect to be on, so I can DS accordingly. Two 270k (or 280k) hits are far more likely to get me killed than two 200k hits, I can easily manage to take two 200k hits and then deathstrike and be in the smooth green, not too spikey tank damage graph, given current rune regen mechanics and the ability to pool resources for this fight. But attempting to do the same thing with two 270k hits will give my healers a heart attack, and to smooth the damage intake I'd need to be Deathstriking after every hit, which isn't a realistic expectation under most circumstances.

However, it seems someone gave me my answer in that I should be expecting the 280k. And after watching the streams for the tanks in my old guild they were getting hit for around that much as well, so I suppose it makes sense, and the 200k hits were flukes or something.
    Formerly of Medivh-US

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendale View Post
    However, it seems someone gave me my answer in that I should be expecting the 280k. And after watching the streams for the tanks in my old guild they were getting hit for around that much as well, so I suppose it makes sense, and the 200k hits were flukes or something.
    Or they were post-absorb numbers, from a PW:S, BS or other absorb.

Watching damage intake numbers scrolling, watching absorbs and the like, they were not post absorb. It was literally "202,300" in red scrolling up the left side of my screen. Without boneshield or other externals, (saving IBF for gas), but I see that more often than the 280k, but whatever I can deal with it.
    Formerly of Medivh-US