1. #1

    What champs would be the best for a poke comp?

    Varus/Nidalee bottom and AP Kog mid is pretty much the ones I think would fit very well. But are there any good top laners and junglers that could fill in the poke comp? Or is having those 3 already enough?

  2. #2
    Moderator Isrozzis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The land of too much heat
    Posts
    3,139
    Jayce is pretty awesome top, since he has some amazing poke.

    As for junglers... I'm not sure really. Maybe maoki since he can throw saplings?

  3. #3
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,423
    Jayce top, Ez/Sona bot, Skarner or Nunu Jungle, and Xerath, Kog, Gragas, or Ori mid.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    Jayce is pretty awesome top, since he has some amazing poke.

    As for junglers... I'm not sure really. Maybe maoki since he can throw saplings?
    Kinda figured someone would bring up Jayce. He is a strong pick, but his harass kinda has a higher CD then most of the others. After kog/varus/nida, I'm starting to wonder if getting more poke is even necessary. I heard about the poke comp and I had the luck to lane with a nida while varus and it was pretty funny watching them run all the time because if they got caught by one of our abilities they would lose big chunks of health. But I've never been against a real poke comp, so I wanted to do research a bit on it, see how viable it could be.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 12:26 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Jayce top, Ez/Sona bot, Skarner or Nunu Jungle, and Xerath, Kog, Gragas, or Ori mid.
    Skarner? How does Skarner fit in a poke comp? or is he the initiator that goes in after they have been softened up? Would Ez/sona be better at poking then Nida/Varus? Considering they have more range AND scaling off their poking abilities then Ez and Sona?

  5. #5
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabartank View Post
    Kinda figured someone would bring up Jayce. He is a strong pick, but his harass kinda has a higher CD then most of the others. After kog/varus/nida, I'm starting to wonder if getting more poke is even necessary. I heard about the poke comp and I had the luck to lane with a nida while varus and it was pretty funny watching them run all the time because if they got caught by one of our abilities they would lose big chunks of health. But I've never been against a real poke comp, so I wanted to do research a bit on it, see how viable it could be.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 12:26 AM ----------



    Skarner? How does Skarner fit in a poke comp? or is he the initiator that goes in after they have been softened up? Would Ez/sona be better at poking then Nida/Varus? Considering they have more range AND scaling off their poking abilities then Ez and Sona?
    He peels ridiculously well if they get near and he can just pull someone right into your group to be murdered, making the TF 5v4 right off the bat. A few teams used him in the World finals in a poke comp if they couldn't get Nunu.

    Yes, Ez/Sona is better because of Sona's ult to disengage and Ezreal's escape power. Nidalee still has a place top though if you don't take Jayce.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    He peels ridiculously well if they get near and he can just pull someone right into your group to be murdered, making the TF 5v4 right off the bat. A few teams used him in the World finals in a poke comp if they couldn't get Nunu.

    Yes, Ez/Sona is better because of Sona's ult to disengage and Ezreal's escape power. Nidalee still has a place top though if you don't take Jayce.
    Guess I'll have to try out that team set up. I imagine nunu is for the snowball harass. Could be loads of fun.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord Zerioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    He peels ridiculously well if they get near and he can just pull someone right into your group to be murdered, making the TF 5v4 right off the bat. A few teams used him in the World finals in a poke comp if they couldn't get Nunu.

    Yes, Ez/Sona is better because of Sona's ult to disengage and Ezreal's escape power. Nidalee still has a place top though if you don't take Jayce.
    Not to mention Jayce was really the key element to the poke comp we saw CLG.EU (I thiiiiink it was either them playing it or it was Frost playing against them with it. I forget.) run at WC. He is probably one of, if not the best, poke comp champs you can get.

    Jayce has better disengage than Nunu does, tbh. It's not that they only ran him if they couldn't get Nunu. (unless I misunderstood what you were saying.)

  8. #8
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerioc View Post
    Not to mention Jayce was really the key element to the poke comp we saw CLG.EU (I thiiiiink it was either them playing it or it was Frost playing against them with it. I forget.) run at WC. He is probably one of, if not the best, poke comp champs you can get.

    Jayce has better disengage than Nunu does, tbh. It's not that they only ran him if they couldn't get Nunu. (unless I misunderstood what you were saying.)
    Was talking about Skarner. XP Should have made it more clear.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  9. #9
    I would say AP Nidalee top, AP kog/Cass mid, Merdinger jungle, bot = Taric(because his stun is amazing to allow Nid/kog to poke without missing) a long with Varus.

    There's a lot of champions for good poke. Karthus, Xerath is OP, Lux, Zilean, Zyra, Talon, pretty much everyone with a good long range ability that can use it, do damage, and get out safely.

  10. #10
    AP Nidalee, Jayce, Gragas, Varus, Ezreal, Xerath, Sivir (?) are all good for poke comps.

  11. #11
    ADC: Ezreal, Corki, Caitlyn, Varus, Kog'Maw, Urgot
    Support: Sona, Lulu, Nunu, Nidalee
    Jungle: Nunu, Diana
    APC: Gragas, Lux, Xerath, Cassio
    Top: Jayce, Nidalee, Teemo, Vladimir

    There are loads more but these are a few I think are worth mentioning the most.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Jayce top, Ez/Sona bot, Skarner or Nunu Jungle, and Xerath, Kog, Gragas, or Ori mid.
    The only problem with this is that Skarner and Nunu "pokes" both require close range.

    If you want true poke, get a Jungle Lee, he can poke with his q and gives you a good initiate.

    My team for it would be:

    Jayce top, Sona/Ez bot, Ori Mid, and Lee jungle.
    I just started doing "Let's Play" videos on YouTube. If you are into that kind of thing, please check it out and subscribe if you like it!

  13. #13
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananaias View Post
    The only problem with this is that Skarner and Nunu "pokes" both require close range.

    If you want true poke, get a Jungle Lee, he can poke with his q and gives you a good initiate.

    My team for it would be:

    Jayce top, Sona/Ez bot, Ori Mid, and Lee jungle.
    But a poke comp is all about avoiding the strong initiates, hence the Skarner pull. It's like a Blitz pull (which is also awesome in a poke comp) only requires much better timing. Poke comps want Strong, long range damage and hard disengages. If Skarner can pull someone out of place you can nuke them down and use your disengages to keep the enemy team away, then push hard and force a 4v5.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  14. #14
    Top: Jayce, Gangplank, Nidalee, maybe Yorick (for the slow ghoul on disengages)
    Mid: Really most mids work, but Zyra, Ziggs, Gragas, Lux, Heimer, Anivia (mainly for the wall), and Ahri
    Jungle: Hard CC for disengages....Alistar, Nautilus, etc
    ADC: Caitlyn, Corki, Ezreal, Kog
    Support: Soraka, Sona

    Basically, you need a couple hard-hitting poke bombs in conjunction with heavy sustain to make it work...oh...and did I mention excellent teamwork / movement / positioning? Impossible for soloQ, and even most 5s teams don't do it well enough to be effective.

    Also, ban Skarner if you're attempting to do this.

    My ideal poke team?

    ADC: Caitlyn
    Support: Soraka
    Mid: Gragas
    Top: Jayce
    Jungle: Alistar

    Cait, Jayce, Gragas all dropping bombs with Soraka's best-in-game sustain, Alistar there for headbutt disengages...good luck getting Alistar AND Jayce in ranked play, though.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2012-10-26 at 03:45 PM.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •