affliction question when is not using SB+SS not a good idea?

The question is I get the fact i can save a soul shard, by "swaping" but it is a bit of a tedius mechanic for gain and loss atm. (please correct me here)

Now i like having ability to use SS alot when questing (i am 82 atm) so having a cool down on it seems dumb and i rarely am not in a position to have a shard ready for its use (i use drain soul at the end now very well)

So outside of the cool graphic im still finding challenges in what the main benefit is (outside of saving 1 shard) of doing the swap which pulls the dots from your existing mob (making it die slower right at the end) and puting them on the new mob, VS simply burning a shard, and getting the SS benefit that way.

Am I making sense in what I am saying?

It's not meant to be used that way during leveling really. Leveling, you should never be out of shards. SB and SS 4 mobs and drain soul in execute range to get 4 back. Rinse and repeat. It's meant to be used in dungeon and raid situations. There, shards aren't unlimited and if you make a mistake and need to burn an add but have no shards, you can just soul swap instead of hard casting your dots. Or if you need to get your dots OFF of a target and swap to another. Like in Temple of the Jade Serpent with the library boss.

Most abilities' usefulness is designed around end game content, not leveling.
    Last edited by link4117; 2012-10-14 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    The question is I get the fact i can save a soul shard, by "swaping" but it is a bit of a tedius mechanic for gain and loss atm. (please correct me here)

Now i like having ability to use SS alot when questing (i am 82 atm) so having a cool down on it seems dumb and i rarely am not in a position to have a shard ready for its use (i use drain soul at the end now very well)

So outside of the cool graphic im still finding challenges in what the main benefit is (outside of saving 1 shard) of doing the swap which pulls the dots from your existing mob (making it die slower right at the end) and puting them on the new mob, VS simply burning a shard, and getting the SS benefit that way.

Am I making sense in what I am saying?
    Since you get 4 shards back if you Drain soul its pretty useless while leveling to use Soulswap, just SB:SS and Drain soul and/or reapply dots on a target taht has low duration of dots and low health to get another 4 shards back.

Your title asked when is SB:SS a good idea (double negative). The answer is most situations where dots need to be applied quickly.

Deleted
    When leveling.

Honestly, while leveling or raiding in heroic content, Im finding it is still just easier and better to completely disregard soulswap inhale and exhale save very rare niche moments. The 30 second cooldown triggered by using the glyph is just way to much of a penalty for one shard IF there are adds that can be killed to refund shards. Even then its still borderline. The whole idea of the glyph and the cooldown thats triggered by using it was to throttle how quickly we could spread our dots around, which now is an outdated archaic design thats left over from a different expansion where our dots left unattended still hit pretty damn hard. With the the massive throttle Malefic's Grasp and Haunt now provide, spreading our dots around quickly is less of an issue. The the cooldown really needs to be lowered back down to 15ish seconds for it to really compete with the shear power and utility of Soulburn: Soul Swap.

Generally speaking, I will always SB my dots if I have the shards free. On a boss itself, I tend to hardcast my dots unless they are close and there are a few procs up, but if there's adds or anything that needs quick switches I'm straight onto my SB:SS macro. I've never needed to glyph SS or use normal SS for that matter.