[Prot] Best way to gear/spec for Challenge modes

Looking for some input on how to gear and spec for this, i'm ret for our main raid so i can reforge/gem my gear specifically for this.

currently i was looking into the whole hit>exp>haste>mast>dodge/parry build. and gemming/enchant for haste as well

i know in heroics i dont take that much damage this way, while still pushing the dps and decent hps with battle healer. but when it comes to challenge modes will i be hit too hard? i havent tried any yet, hopefully getting my group going this weekend.

also for the last talent tier, i'm kinda stuck between lights hammer and holy prism, usually i stick with lights hammer for those big aoe pulls so i can really get that high aoe dps. but i've seen a few gold run vids of prot pallys using holy prism to help aoe heal as well. so im really not sure, maybe just situation with the dungeon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I've not been able to log on since the day before Pandaland was launched, I think I can easily say that you won't be pushing for gold times in your first ever challenge mode go through of a dungeon, each dungeon will take lots of practice. Surely the best way to do it would be to experiment? That's half the fun of this game!

Just make sure for your stat priority you're getting the expertise hardcap. Oh, and Parry > Dodge and use the macro I have on the prot guide to balance them correctly in a ratio that at my last look feckin ages ago, resembled Pi somewhat
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    there's not a lot you can personally do to help your survival in challenge modes.

if you're going after gold you have to pull 2, 3 or more trash packs together and AoE them down. The only way to survive that as a tank is using your groups CC. A DK with Army of the Dead, a Monk with Leg Sweep, a Balance Druid with Solar Beam. Those are the kinds of things that get you the breathing space you need inbetween your own cooldowns to survive those big pulls.

Personally, I went with the control build, stacking hit+expertise+mastery. It has the rather convenient side effect of also boosting your dps compared to parry>dodge>hit/exp.
    Last edited by mmocc23bbb0a5f; 2012-10-12 at 12:19 PM.

Currently I main tank my guilds progression group, and I'm leading a core of them into challenge modes, I too have more of a control build, for hit, exp, and mastery.

Though our setup isn't ideal, our first shot at challenge modes was Jade temple getting a solid Silver medal, the realm fastest at the time. And I can easily say it was the most fun we have had playing wow in a long time. We only had a few resets, but the biggest 'Ah man!' moments came from downing Wise Mari, and accidentally pulling too much of the trash in the Library event.

My advice, from one prot paladin to another, is just get in there and scope it out. While I want all Gold medals, I put my standards at Bronze so we can improve. Our only realistic limitation was to not wipe. After several attempts and a really good run, we ended up wiping with alot of time left for silver so we just finished it .

Also, I would recommend Light's hammer since it served me well in Jade Temple