Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Vindictus has combat done the right way. Too bad it's not an MMO.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcut View Post
    I actually don't agree with this example.
    I used to play with a dagger mainhand on my thief (before switching to sword) and besides auto-attack I used the nr. 2 skill a lot near the end of the fight.
    i did not say that the other abilities were not useful, i said it did more damage when using dual daggers.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say here is that auto-attack isn't everything in this game.
    it isnt everything. but i wasnt refferring to everything. i was referring to doing a lot of damage and that sometimes auto attack is the best option for it. not always, but with a lot more weapons than the person who earlier said it was "wrong" realizes.

I have played builds where auto-attack damage was dominant.
    However, I have also played builds where non-auto-attack skills were the largest source of damage (pistol whip, a thief skill that recently got nerfed, was a good example of this).
    i agree. not all weapons are the same. thats what they were going for, so that if you like auto attackyness, you can do it. if you dont, you have other options.

The way damage is divided over your abilities in GW2 reminds me a lot of how damage is divided over abilties in WoW.
    When I played my rogue in raids, auto-attack usually was number one in my recount damage list.
    However, it never did more than 50% of my total damage, which meant that my other skills (and poisons aswell) did well over 50% damage.
    The same applied to my other dps characters and I believe it also applies to GW2 combat.
    Auto-attack deals a large chunk of damage, but it definitely isn't the only source of damage.
    when i played a rogue in wow, most of my damage came from envenom and my deadly poison, which for the longest time i only used on my offhand. i sacrificed hit for other things in wow.

i do agree it is not the ONLY way. but auto attack should not be ruled out or counted as "the wrong way" for any given class. for any class/weapon combo? sometimes. but not for all of it as was originally suggested. in a lot of cases, such as dual daggers, auto attack is incredibly useful. the more button mashing done on a thief with dual daggers, the less damage youre going to actually do, because all youre doing is evading and flipping around in the air. not actually stabbing.

i hate shortbow on my thief to be honest. auto attack doesnt do much, and the placed area attacks are usually evaded. the only thing left is movement abilities.
    Ruffles have ridges!....and so do Klingons.

Deleted
    Use weapon swap (or attunements/kits). Like all the time. This gives you so many (short) CDs, it should mostly solve your problem. Also, get useful/low CD utilities. Use profession abilities as much as possible. Dodge, kite... you don't necessarily have to spam 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just feel sorry for my Engineer. With a rifle I only have the auto-attack as a long range (1000+) damaging move :S
    Arukas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arukas View Post
    I just feel sorry for my Engineer. With a rifle I only have the auto-attack as a long range (1000+) damaging move :S
    And then you realize you have a entire kit made for that specific class.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there are people who think that way.
    I am not one of those people
    (play elementalist if you want to match buttons like a mofo!)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think paying attention to what is going on around you in order to actually do damage is a higher level of engagement than simple targetting systems. It really depends on what class you play to see the levels of this, but obviously ranged classes don't get the benefits of this enough.

I think the earlier argument that was discredited was trying to state that autoattacking in this game at least requires being positioned in the right direction of what you are trying to hit(in a direct sense, not just merely facing them in any capacity...IE knowing your weapons cone etc). It's not leaps and bounds above standard auto attacking and obviously melee are the only ones who experience this. Combined with the ability to cast on the move, it gives a more free flowing experience that approaches action combat. In tab target games, you go where what you have targetted is. If you are facing the target in any way, you can charge at that target and commence autoattacking without thinking.

GW2 doesn't come close to TERA's level of combat, obviously. That is the gold standard in terms of combat in my opinion (though the game is horrible). I like to think of this as a nice blend. As such, this game surpasses any other non action combat game like WoW, SWTOR or Rift.

Deleted
    @Kittyvicious

Cant agree more!
    I love the fact ranged caster can dodge to avoid dmg, and that is really amazing!
    Abilities for every class are very good! Besides that, it learns us to became better in movement abilities and dealing with spells and casts at the same time
    (learn us to become a very better player in every aspect)

GW2 seems sometimes easier and sometimes harder then any MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Icescream View Post
    @Kittyvicious

GW2 seems sometimes easier and sometimes harder then any MMO.
    It seems interesting to me in that in that the more action oriented the combat is, the easier the game is. For example, I found Tera to be the easiest mmo I've played to date but yet it probably had the most interesting combat of any mmo due to it being more action oriented. GW2 is a hybrid I think and with the use of dodging and movement it can be easier than a lot of mmos that rely just on dice rolls.

Hm. I didn't feel that way about Tera/GW2. I died like less than 10 times on my way to 80 in GW2. In Tera I was constantly on my toes, thinking about how to position myself, taking on BAMs, etc. Like I died a lot more in Tera and found some areas much tougher than in GW2.

GW2 gives you a lot of "outs" both from a skill POV and due to the flow of combat. You're rarely at risk unless super overwhelmed or some cheap 1-shot mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    And then you realize you have a entire kit made for that specific class.
    Please tell me which kit has a good long ranged attack that is not Elixir Gun's auto-attack and the second ability which I don't recall the name. Maybe grenade kit, but I honestly don't know the range of the grenades as I don't enjoy it's playstyle. I may be missing something but I can't see any other options.
    Last edited by arukas; 2012-10-16 at 11:06 PM.
    Arukas

I just wish the combat system was more like it was in GW1. I really liked that there were a lot of abilities which you could choose 8 from and really play the game your own style. With GW2 it's that those same abilities with each weapon type and nothing else (correct me if I'm wrong). Other than that, I enjoy it

Statement regarding pve (remeber, a statement is a personal opinion!)(no activ wow sub, last LogIn in gw2 more than 3 weeks ago)

It is really funny how people say in gw2 your always moving and in wow the combat is bad. Played warrior - axe/axe and greatsword - in gw2. Its like keeping autoattack and evicerate or 100b on cooldown. Anything else is lower on priority. After all comes down gw2 is like keep the good things on cd, ignore the other things. But moving? you move if there is a cycle of the mob starts a mighty hit with slow animation...very encouraging when your best damage attack will go off never the less.

Someone called wow a turret like game. gw2 is like obstacle course - just live long enough, enemy will die anyway. Not very encouraging...

Here are many people, who may played wow in their earlier days and think that the game doesn't developed at all. Sorry to destroy your illusions. There are no longer rotations in any spec. Every one now have to manage priorities. Like enh. shaman with 7 abilities + 4 long time cds, shadow priest with 8 abilities + 3 long time, etc... that may not be much more buttons. But every button is essential, in gw2 they are not. Just to think about that someone said he palys with xbox controller, I get goosebumps in a very negativly way.

Nevertheless this discussion is plain futile from its very start. WoW is a MMORPG, GW2 is a Action/Jump&Run MMO with RP (but you have to search it). Every one plays the thing he likes more, or both or none of them...

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

Quote Originally Posted by Icecx View Post
    I feel much more involved in GW2 than I did in WoW. Sure, I use only a few abilities. But a lot of those are situational, while the others help in combat to beat the opponent but also have some other uses. The ability combos and maneuvering and staying alive make for a more chaotic (though controllable) battle system. Something I like very much.
    I agree with you. GW2 the fight seems to be more chaotic and I'm having to react differently everytime. WoW boss fights seem so scripted, and before the fight even started I knew where I needed to stand, then move to x get buff, move back, dps, move to x to get buff, move back (make sure to keep up my rotation) - oh we were fighting a boss? didn't notice. rotation, move, rotation, move.

My friend hates the GW2 style, he loved chasing the recount meters and loved trying to get the best dps out of his rotation. I found it boring.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    My friend hates the GW2 style, he loved chasing the recount meters and loved trying to get the best dps out of his rotation. I found it boring.
    fo sho. once you get to the top of the chart, the race is over. and then what are you playing for?
    Ruffles have ridges!....and so do Klingons.

Deleted
    Absolutely not.
    In this game, combat mechanics are really enjoyable to play.
    Rotations made me sick and i don't have to keybind anything beside "dodge" to mouse button and "autorun" to the other, and good riddance to that.
    Situational skills and combos make cooperation an asset. In other games, it's just a DPS race against yourself.
    I also play other games for different reasons, but when it comes to nice fights it's GW2 hands down.
    This is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I really think this is why people say that it's "more fun". Because it's as simple as playing Call of Duty most of the time, you just run over, right click on things and they fall over. It's just so mindless most of the time.
    Or it's because, while most abilities on a GW2 bar are situational, they all have appropriate (and common) uses. Unlike other games where "situational abilities" are something that are used once an expansion and you have to go digging through your spell book to find it because it was just wasting space on your bars the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I agree with you. GW2 the fight seems to be more chaotic and I'm having to react differently everytime. WoW boss fights seem so scripted, and before the fight even started I knew where I needed to stand, then move to x get buff, move back, dps, move to x to get buff, move back (make sure to keep up my rotation) - oh we were fighting a boss? didn't notice. rotation, move, rotation, move.

A couple months back I watched the vid of our H Madness kill and looking at it after playing GW2 it was a real eye-opener. My little warlock just rocking back and forth casting Shadowbolt fillers and refreshing DoTs. Ruh roh! Boss is going to do something, DBM is counting down! Time to push my macro button!
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    the thing I dislike is the necro auto attack using a scepter, and some sword swings, things like that.

Deleted
    Obviously Bove, you prefer other MMO's combat styles. Nothing wrong with that, i understand.
    For me, GW2 fight style has been a breath of fresh air from the chores they were in other games.
    "Fun" is subjective, and not easy to explain.