Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's not wrong at all. For many classes/weapons, auto-attack is either the highest DPS ability or high enough to get by if that's all you do.
    If all you do is solo, single target, low level content (since the game starts off easy), you may have a point. However if you think auto-attack is the instant win button you are wrong. I have a 80 warrior, 57 ele, 55 thief an 18 eng and an 18 necro. I use my number 1 ability to start an attack, and as a filler the rest of the time I am working off of other skills, and utilities. Good luck in WvW with spamming 111, good luck in a dungeon spamming 111, and any where else beyond level 20.

    Can you tunnel farm with 111?

  2. #102
    That's all completely irrelevant. Having to dodge out of a fire on the ground, kite a mob, or stun something doesn't change the nature of your damage source.

  3. #103
    My warrior is sword/sword. I use 2 if the enemy is trying to get away. I use 4 to start the fight and again only if it gets out of range. Other than that, it's all auto-attack. It does a lot of damage and stacks bleed like there's no tomorrow. Why would I want to interrupt that?

    I've only used the 5 ability once before realizing I'd never actually need it, and I can't even remember what the 3 ability is. A snare maybe? May be useful in PvP. I don't even use the burst ability because I get 12% bonus damage for having a full endurance bar.

    Auto-attack ftw.

  4. #104
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,567
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    My warrior is sword/sword. *snip* Auto-attack ftw.
    I'm 2H Greatsword and I don't play this class like that at all. Auto attack is my least damaging attack, which goes to show that all these statements are dependent on the weapon set you are using and how you are traited. My 2 and 3 will hit for far more, especially if there are multiple mobs present.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    If all you do is solo, single target, low level content (since the game starts off easy), you may have a point. However if you think auto-attack is the instant win button you are wrong. I have a 80 warrior, 57 ele, 55 thief an 18 eng and an 18 necro. I use my number 1 ability to start an attack, and as a filler the rest of the time I am working off of other skills, and utilities. Good luck in WvW with spamming 111, good luck in a dungeon spamming 111, and any where else beyond level 20.

    Can you tunnel farm with 111?
    I've done all the dungeons, zones and meta events on a ranger, warrior, elementalist, guardian, mesmer and necromancer. Auto firing #1 is still an important part of damage delivery for many kits.

    You can't spam 1111. It fires automatically by default.

    You can't use auto fire as a filler for most weapon kits- the other skills all have CD. Logically speaking, you can't spam #2 with a 20 second cooldown. Or even a 5 second CD. It's impossible. There is an inherent limiter.

    Only a thief can get away with ability spam off default #1. To which thieves are purposefully limited by Initiative to prevent such a thing. Why do you think initiative even exist? Like, what process of game design leads one to believe otherwise? Because it is non-existent in Guild Wars 2.

    This counter argument is not an argument at all. It is as previously stated; false. As in it couldn't possibly be true.

    Auto attack is no bad thing in GW2. It's not the same as white swinging a sword in Eq of whatever. Don't contextualize GW2's auto fire in that manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    My warrior is sword/sword. I use 2 if the enemy is trying to get away. I use 4 to start the fight and again only if it gets out of range. Other than that, it's all auto-attack. It does a lot of damage and stacks bleed like there's no tomorrow. Why would I want to interrupt that?

    I've only used the 5 ability once before realizing I'd never actually need it, and I can't even remember what the 3 ability is. A snare maybe? May be useful in PvP. I don't even use the burst ability because I get 12% bonus damage for having a full endurance bar.
    That's actually the highest DPS kit for a warrior. Made even strong by 5x signets which you don't actually use. I been a fan of the build since beta and it has yet be surpassed by any other kit.

    There's a handy spreadsheet for looking at the auto fire #1 damage on goggle docs via Reddit.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3NXJWb1E#gid=0
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-17 at 08:10 PM.

  6. #106
    I'm more of a fan of double axe than double sword on my warrior. Although I will say that the 5 skill on axe/axe usually gets me into more trouble than it's worth to use.

  7. #107
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    The abilities feel like LoL, just better control and graphics. That was my impression, and it is not a good thing.

    I also loathe that auto attack is considered an ability. Likely the biggest reasons I have not made it past level 15 on any class.

  8. #108
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Am I the only person here who actually disable the auto attack?
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Am I the only person here who actually disable the auto attack?
    I turn it off for certain skills so I can have more control. Admittedly, it's not totally necessary that I do so. Just drives me crazy to be rooted by the auto-fire default.

    Stuff like Engineer flamethrower #2 on auto-fire is a nice time saver, for example.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Am I the only person here who actually disable the auto attack?
    If I'm going to play predominately a melee playstyle then I will turn it off.

  11. #111
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    If I'm going to play predominately a melee playstyle then I will turn it off.
    Ya I play mostly melee the game feels much better without it, I personally hate it when games play themselves.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  12. #112
    Warchief barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The abilities feel like LoL, just better control and graphics. That was my impression, and it is not a good thing.

    I also loathe that auto attack is considered an ability. Likely the biggest reasons I have not made it past level 15 on any class.
    And then i remember most people are sitting on 1200-1600 elo, claiming the game is EZ HUEHUE, then looking at some 2500 friends and just seeing nightmares.

  13. #113
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Am I the only person here who actually disable the auto attack?
    the only skill worth keeping auto attack on is crossfire

    actually, you could make a case for mes GS and air scepter but not much else
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  14. #114
    And then i remember most people are sitting on 1200-1600 elo, claiming the game is EZ HUEHUE, then looking at some 2500 friends and just seeing nightmares.
    To be fair, LoL has a lot of hidden depth (and is a PvP-match game anyway) and a lot of the gameplay tends to revolve around the management of a lot of intangibles that are arguably much more important than just mashing the keys.

    If GW2 could manage that in their everyday PvE, I'd hail it as the best game ever. Sadly they have all the simplicity of the LoL "few keys to hit" but without any of the rest of the underlying depth.

  15. #115

  16. #116
    Pretty sure I made a point of clarifying that LoL is a PvP game....

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Pretty sure I made a point of clarifying that LoL is a PvP game....
    But you compared the pve part of gw2 to it...

  18. #118
    Well sure, because the original post that started the topic compared LoL's control set to GW2's, and then someone said something about how the game is still a challenge despite that apparent simplicity.

    Then I tried to elaborate on that a little bit, and then move into the fact that despite those elements in LoL, the comparison of control sets is still valid.

  19. #119
    It always struck me as very PvP-oriented combat. It was one of the reasons I didn't care much for leveling in GW2 - the simple task of killing mob after mob tended to revolve around autoattacking and hitting two or so other abilities that dealt higher damage every time they were off cooldown. There wasn't really any variation or depth to it unless you were taking on more challenging enemies or several at once.

    The lack of resource management didn't really do it for me. When there's a higher number of skills to weave together based upon different resource conditions even the easiest and most bland mobs can be a mini-game of choosing what you use and executing your rotation/managing your resources well.
    Of course in PvP I think the lack of a resource system works way better - it's a great way of streamlining the gameplay so that you feel like you can use whatever ability you need to in a specific situation, without having to wrestle with your resources and try to execute an arbitrary "max DPS" rotation on top of it.

    But yeah, I'm a PvE person at heart, and I felt like there just wasn't enough depth to the ability usage in Guild Wars PvE. The positioning and dodging mechanics were neat, but the movement and world feedback just didn't feel responsive enough for me to fall in love with them.

  20. #120
    Honestly, that's what I like about GW2. Similar to Diablo, in the sense that game says "Here's your toys, but you can't play with them all at once."

    I was so sick and tired of the bloat in WOW. I've played almost every class to level 80, most to 85, and 3 to 90 before I quit.... every single class virtually required a custom UI with ability (dot/hot/proc etc) tracking, multiple action bars with a stupid number of keybinds + macro's. How is that fun?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •