Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Honestly, that's what I like about GW2. Similar to Diablo, in the sense that game says "Here's your toys, but you can't play with them all at once."

    I was so sick and tired of the bloat in WOW. I've played almost every class to level 80, most to 85, and 3 to 90 before I quit.... every single class virtually required a custom UI with ability (dot/hot/proc etc) tracking, multiple action bars with a stupid number of keybinds + macro's. How is that fun?!
    I could play any class just fine with the default UI and no addons...but your point still stands, WoW is getting a bit silly.

  2. #122
    The Patient Amanaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    308
    Try the Backstab thief or just thieves in general and you will have buttons to push, and you must do quickly before you are annihilated... Or perhaps try Elementalist as they have twice the weapon abilities beside the utilities....

    Thief is the most fastpaced atm though... Not saying it is hardest though...

  3. #123
    Guardian hammer user here:

    skill 1: auto attack'ish
    skill 2: heavy AoE hitter
    skill 3: chain mob down (situational)
    skill 4: knockback (situational)
    skill 5: bubble (to trap mobs from escaping, situational)
    skill 6: heal (situational)
    skill 7: Spirit Hammer (situational, pretty long CD)
    skill 8: Teleport to mobs (Situational)
    skill 9: Sprint + all boons (Situational)
    skill 10: Summon gohstwolf (Situational, long ass CD)


    personally i end up using every skill in almost every fight (except gohst wolf due to CD). And i love the combat however
    It usually comes down to only skill 1&2 wich you use reguarly. Personally i would've like 1 or 2 more skills for pure DPS pleasure.

    ps: Remember there is also weapon switching giving you acces to allot more skills =)
    Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    But do they have data showing how much fun players are having? Because surely that's what counts. You could have a game where only 1% of players can do the top raid but still everybody's having fun, and you could have a game where 100% of the players see everything but they're all bored and whining and quitting. Fun can't be quantified with straight-up data, and trying to use statistics to measure fun is a dangerous logical minefield.
    "The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Am I the only person here who actually disable the auto attack?
    I do for things like 1h sword on my Ranger, or when I want more control over the staff necromancer attack. Having that go through the mob at the wrong angle and tag something I didn't want to pull is annoying, particularly in higher level areas where mob density is higher.

    It's a situational thing. Kinda like many of the other weapon and utility abilities - it depends on what profession I am, what weapon I'm using, the type and number of enemies I'm facing (or if it's PvP or PvE), and any particular variable of the fight that needs to be handled.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Honestly, that's what I like about GW2. Similar to Diablo, in the sense that game says "Here's your toys, but you can't play with them all at once."

    I was so sick and tired of the bloat in WOW. I've played almost every class to level 80, most to 85, and 3 to 90 before I quit.... every single class virtually required a custom UI with ability (dot/hot/proc etc) tracking, multiple action bars with a stupid number of keybinds + macro's. How is that fun?!
    Some folks enjoy a level of micromanagement in games like this.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  6. #126
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,501
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Some folks enjoy a level of micromanagement in games like this.
    Sure, it's a given that some folks like pickles and some folks like icecream and pregnant women like both.

    I like the fact that some games cater to one audience, and others to well, the other. Some games cater to both. I don't feel all my games need to be pickles and icecream, it's nice when they are, but sometimes it's good to just have one and not the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Please OH please tell me how "long" was your rotation on WoW... it was interesting? no, it was a ROTATION, and that is mechanically boring, sure you get to PRESS MOAR BUTTONZ, but it's not deep at all. This game relies on good control, on WoW you could do it too, and you should do it, but once you were finished with it, pillar and redo rotation, wait for my PoM-Pyro huehue (TBC doublepyro lololol)
    rotations don't exist in wow anymore for quite a long time
    it's all about a priority system now with various procs changing up said priority system
    Last edited by Enosh; 2012-10-31 at 03:35 PM.

  8. #128
    it's all about a priority system now with various procs changing up said priority system
    That's still a rotation...

  9. #129
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    rotations don't exist in wow anymore for quite a long time
    it's all about a priority system now with various procs changing up said priority system
    pretty sure even when the devs refer to priority systems as "rotations" we can safely get away with calling them that
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's still a rotation...
    no it's not, a rotation is what existed in vanilla, you press A then B then C then back to A then b etc etc until the end of times

    now it's: you press A if available, if not B and if not B then C, if X procs then you press D which you wouldn't use otherwise and if Y procs then you use B even if A is up

    for example of my frost Dk since it's the class I play
    it's OB>FS>HB for 2H, OB sounds like the logical choice for KM procs, but if your RP is on lets say 85+ish then you use it on a FS even if 2 runes are up since otherwise you would go over the RP cap and it would be a dps loss, HB isn't worth pressing outside of aoe situations unless you get a rime proc, now from the priority above if you have a rime proc and get a KM proc you should use OB right? well no because you are wasting a potential rime proc, so you HB first then OB, if you aren't near the RP cap that is

    to say this is the same as old vanillas A to B to C and repeat rotations is simply completely wrong, it's a much more engaging system that requires more thinking about what to use when, especially with classes that have 2 resource systems

    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    pretty sure even when the devs refer to priority systems as "rotations" we can safely get away with calling them that
    what the devs use to refer to it has no meaning on anything, fact is most people in this thread used a "oh wow has just a simple press 123 rotation over and over" argument, which wasn't relevant to wow for a few years now since it moved away from such a system
    Last edited by Enosh; 2012-10-31 at 04:03 PM.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    no it's not, a rotation is what existed in vanilla, you press A then B then C then back to A then b etc etc until the end of times
    Rotations are just hierarchical systems.

    If A, B.
    If B, C.
    If C, D.
    If not C, then A.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    no it's not, a rotation is what existed in vanilla, you press A then B then C then back to A then b etc etc until the end of times

    now it's: you press A if available, if not B and if not B then C, if X procs then you press D which you wouldn't use otherwise and if Y procs then you use B even if A is up

    for example of my frost Dk since it's the class I play
    it's OB>FS>HB for 2H, OB sounds like the logical choice for KM procs, but if your RP is on lets say 85+ish then you use it on a FS even if 2 runes are up since otherwise you would go over the RP cap and it would be a dps loss, HB isn't worth pressing outside of aoe situations unless you get a rime proc, now from the priority above if you have a rime proc and get a KM proc you should use OB right? well no because you are wasting a potential rime proc, so you HB first then OB, if you aren't near the RP cap that is

    to say this is the same as old vanillas A to B to C and repeat rotations is simply completely wrong, it's a much more engaging system that requires more thinking about what to use when, especially with classes that have 2 resource systems


    what the devs use to refer to it has no meaning on anything, fact is most people in this thread used a "oh wow has just a simple press 123 rotation over and over" argument, which wasn't relevant to wow for a few years now since it moved away from such a system
    Semantics.

    Priority, Rotation, call it what you will. We've all been calling them rotations for years and most of us kept calling it that after they changed to priority rotations. It doesn't change the fact that every expansion WOW simply added more abilites into the mix for each class, requiring another macro/keybrind and/or proc to watch. It didn't add depth, it added bloat... and even the Dev's have agreed they 'failed' to reduce the bloat.

  13. #133
    Not that I'm defending WoW or anything, but if the whole game revolves around just standing still and mashing 1-2-3 over and over...then a whole lot of people - including people right here - must have found that task pretty daunting seeing as how few people manage to pull it off.

    But we've had the oversimplification argument before. I could just as easily say that GW2 is all about turning auto attack on and mashing your dodge key every now and then.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I could just as easily say that GW2 is all about turning auto attack on and mashing your dodge key every now and then.
    for the most part, it kinda is..

  15. #135
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Not that I'm defending WoW or anything, but if the whole game revolves around just standing still and mashing 1-2-3 over and over...then a whole lot of people - including people right here - must have found that task pretty daunting seeing as how few people manage to pull it off.

    But we've had the oversimplification argument before. I could just as easily say that GW2 is all about turning auto attack on and mashing your dodge key every now and then.
    Lol how could you NOT pull off a rotation? Maybe it's just me, who played a boomy/fire Mage but my rotation was pretty bland lol, hit 2 until moon goes over head, then hit 4, 3, and hit 6 until a sun goes over head, 4, 3 and then do 2 rinse and repeat, it was so simple, at least in GW2 I get to use a little more skills then I even looked at as a boomkin...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  16. #136
    Lol how could you NOT pull off a rotation? Maybe it's just me, who played a boomy/fire Mage but my rotation was pretty bland lol, hit 2 until moon goes over head, then hit 4, 3, and hit 6 until a sun goes over head, 4, 3 and then do 2 rinse and repeat, it was so simple, at least in GW2 I get to use a little more skills then I even looked at as a boomkin...
    I mostly played tanks and healers, so eh...didn't do a lot of plain rotations in my WoW time. Maybe that's why it never seemed as bland as "1,2,3, repeat" to me. =D

  17. #137
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Rotations are just hierarchical systems.

    If A, B.
    If B, C.
    If C, D.
    If not C, then A.
    That's pretty much the complete opposite of a rotation. Rotation is circular in nature. You may insert something into the rotation, or take something out, but that means several iterations of the rotation will be affected by that change.

    The term literally means a return to, or succession in a series. People can claim this is semantics, but it's not...it's literal language. Devs calling a hierarchy a 'rotation' is lazy nerd speak. Priorities only make some things mildly more engaging than rotations, but it's not a rotation.

    I will give you that there might be a rotation inside of a hierarchy, but a part does not make a whole.

  18. #138
    Herald of the Titans nocturnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    2,674
    A priority system is marginally different. You're still pressing the same 3 buttons. The order you press them in varies from time to time, because some abilities' side effects dissipate sooner/later than others. It's a cheap way to disseminate the statement that wow doesn't have fixed rotations anymore.

    There's a reason GW2 has an auto-attack. GW2's game play is ever changing and requires you to make full use of your entire toolbox. You don't have a fixed rotation/priority list because your situation is constantly changing.

    Is GW2's method superior to wow's? Subjective, like pickles and icecream.

  19. #139
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,381
    Not really no, double dagger elemntalist, usually wrecks things. Plus the combat to me is fun and I find myself staring more at the screen than the cooldowns, because watching numbers tick down is pretty fun than watching a boss just cast his abilities, clearly not trying his hardest to murder you.


  20. #140
    The combat abilties are fine on the surface or if you don't mind playnig one way (with minor variations), however overall the classes lack variety in playstyles, largely because they are all pretty much DPS with a bit of a litle support, utliity, healing, CC stuck on, so essentially you always end up with a DPS playstyle (and not hugely varied at that) with a small variation in the level of support/utlily/heals depednign on traits, skill selection and gear, overall though it is all a bit samey, all a bit simplistitic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •