Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Job claim misleads

Job claim misleads.

Quote, 'Fact Check: Labor Secretary Solis Misleads on Jobs Revisions

by Joel B. Pollak5 Oct 2012

Suspicion about the federal government's September jobs report has fallen on Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis, who appeared on CNBC this morning and defended the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), claiming--falsely--that upward revisions of 86,000 jobs were from the private sector. In fact, the new number is entirely accounted for by upwards revisions to state and federal government payrolls.

The BLS reported that while only 114,000 jobs were created in September--which would have translated into a rise in unemployment from 8.1% to 8.2%--the unemployment rate fell dramatically to 7.8%. That unusual drop is the fastest in nearly three decades, and was unexpected even in the rosiest predictions.

One reason for the rise was an upward revision of 86,000 to the July and August jobs numbers--all of which came from a 91,000 increase in the estimate of public sector jobs. Private sector job estimates were actually revised downward by 5,000.

In addition, the BLS reported a large rise in the number of part-time jobs, adding 600,000 jobs to the total--a dramatic increase of 7.5%, not explained by any other economic indicators--and raising questions about whether the government had changed the way it counted part-time workers.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ers-Questioned

10+ Year Old Account
    After briefly skimming the titles of the other stories on that website, I'm going to suggest you try to see if you can find a source other than Breitbart.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    After briefly skimming the titles of the other stories on that website, I'm going to suggest you try to see if you can find a source other than Breitbart.
    I agree. That's about like using Fox "news" as a source.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah. Brietbart was well known as biased towards Republicans (before he died). I assume his site continues the tradition.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The numbers are put together by civil servants, not political appointees. The numbers aren't fake. I do however think its funny that people who want us to vote for Romney because he can create jobs faster, are now saying its not possible to create jobs much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yeah. Brietbart was well known as biased towards Republicans (before he died). I assume his site continues the tradition.
    Breitbart.com has a well known bias towards insanity.

So when the statistics from the SAME place is bad you have no problem in taking it and use it as a tool to bash Obama. Just shows how desperate the far right is when they cant even take FACTS at face value anymore. If Obama was to cook the books as the far right seems to indicate wouldnt he have done a better job and gotten below 8% a LONGTIME ago. like using the cooking skill you think is in place and made it so it NEVER went over 8%.

Just a suggestion stop tuning into Faux all the time and while you are at it stop listening to Rush and Glenn as well. the country will be better the less we have with all those 3 to do since all they do is spread lies 24/7

Just think about it for a second if books are cooked why the hell do you cook them with very high unemployment for years? really THINK if they where cooked you can bet it would never have been 8% ever i mean if this is the best cooking we can do on books. Just the typical right wing desperation when they know facts cant beat Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Breitbart.com has a well known bias towards insanity.
    Correction noted.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breitbart.com....seriously? Read some of the stuff on that website and then claim it's a balanced, unbiased news source.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    The numbers are put together by civil servants, not political appointees. The numbers aren't fake. I do however think its funny that people who want us to vote for Romney because he can create jobs faster, are now saying its not possible to create jobs much faster.
    They will than start complaining it is Obama drones still in BLS that is making the unemployment numbers go up when Romney gets elected they are doing it to make Romney look bad. It shows you how bad they want the country to become when they cant even accept the facts that we are on the right track and that getting below 8% should be celebrated. Remember Reagan won 49 states with 7.2% unemployment

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoMedic View Post
    Breitbart.com....seriously? Read some of the stuff on that website and then claim it's a balanced, unbiased news source.
    It is just another far right wing pundit machine that have no interest in actual facts. All it is good for is duping and brainwashing the uneducated and those that dont bother to actually seek out the real facts and take what they get spoonfeed. It is the same type that think anything is liberal bias if it reports the truths.

The numbers from california weren't included. They werent "sent" in time.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    The numbers from california weren't included. They werent "sent" in time.
    I don't think you know how the BLS jobs numbers are produced.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol Breitbart. Wake me when it's on about Factcheck.org.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Why would anyone trust obviously partisan commentators with painfully obvious stakes at discreditng the numbers, over masses of statisticians/economists/bureucrats working together trying to do their jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    lol Breitbart. Wake me when it's on about Factcheck.org.
    May wanna look into who owns fact check org, its no more credible than breitbarts is.

"A Labor Department economist said one large state didn’t report additional quarterly figures as expected, accounting for a substantial part of the decrease."

That state was california. Apparently they are under staffed and were unable to process all the paperwork in time to send it in.

Do you have a not bullshit citation for this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Do you have a not bullshit citation for this claim?
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&spell=...w=1920&bih=909

Take your pick, it was a quote. Id call that isp about them blocking your google, but i dont mind looking up simple stuff for you old buddy

I don't play "source my argument".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    May wanna look into who owns fact check org, its no more credible than breitbarts is.

"A Labor Department economist said one large state didn’t report additional quarterly figures as expected, accounting for a substantial part of the decrease."

That state was california. Apparently they are under staffed and were unable to process all the paperwork in time to send it in.
    lol. Are you really equating one of the most rabidly partisan blogs on the internet to an apolitical fact checking organization run out of a conservative Ivy League university funded with money left by a Republican?
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

They're all quoting the same report that doesn't actually name any credible source.