Thread: Fire Help

Fire Help

I read the fire guide here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ge-Guide-5-0-5

I also read the one stickied on the WoW mage forums. I tried posting a thread there but nobody replied so I'm gonna try here. I really feel my DPS is lacking for my gear level, I'm not able to keep up with our spriest or our lock on most fights, I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight as to what I am doing wrong.

Here is our guild's log from Tuesday night, we downed the first 3 bosses and put a couple of attempts on the fourth before we called it for the night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/pw44ja8upbc4e132/

Here is our log from last night, we downed Spirit Kings and put in several attempts on Elegon before we called it for the night.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w0la2ifav3ugso5o/

Lastly, here is my armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...m/Wyron/simple

I didn't have my shoulders or my necklace for the Tuesday log, I was using a 450 and a 463, respectively. Also, I'm currently working on farming the rest of the cloth I need to level tailoring, there isn't enough frostweave on my auction house to do it. Once I finish that I plan to get jewelcrafting where it needs to be as well, though I don't think my low professions would make up for the amount of dps I am not doing.

Thanks for any kind of advice or tips, I really appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of your reforges appear to be mastery, that would be one point that could probably use fixing. Also from what I've seen, Living Bomb (for 1-3 targets) and Frost bomb (for 4+ targets) tend to be better choices than Nether Tempest. Otherwise the only tips I can really give are to make sure you're using Combustion when you have as many procs or buffs up as you can and following a Pyroblast trinket, as well has making sure you use Inferno Blast everytime heating up procs to maximize your pyro usage. Also a good idea to glyph for Combustion as well. And lastly are you getting use out of Alter Time at all?

I also need help, specifically about how to built a good ignite.
    So I hope the OP doesn't mind me hopping in.

My question is to people who can achieve a huge ignite,
    how do you build your ignites?

I feel lucky if I could get around 20k to 25k ignite, and I feel extremely lucky if I could get 25k to 30k+ ignite.
    But I'm also frequently seeing 15k to 19k ignite alot, no matter how many times I try doing a,
    Fireball -> Pyroblast! -> another Pyroblast! if it procs, with a Hotstreak+Heating Up buff on me.

I read on another thread that some people hardcast a Pyro when they start building their ignites,
    so I'm beginning to think how I'm building an ignite is wrong.

So I'm interested in how other people build their ignites.

Thx in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Some of your reforges appear to be mastery, that would be one point that could probably use fixing. Also from what I've seen, Living Bomb (for 1-3 targets) and Frost bomb (for 4+ targets) tend to be better choices than Nether Tempest. Otherwise the only tips I can really give are to make sure you're using Combustion when you have as many procs or buffs up as you can and following a Pyroblast trinket, as well has making sure you use Inferno Blast everytime heating up procs to maximize your pyro usage. Also a good idea to glyph for Combustion as well. And lastly are you getting use out of Alter Time at all?
    Got my professions leveled.

I'll try the glyphed Combustion out on Monday, and I'm also swapping out Frost Bomb for the adds on Elegon.

Combustion is a confusing thing for me. I usually hold it til I have at least a 20k ignite running, is that the wrong thing to do?

I checked my reforges, I'm all reforged out of mastery and haste, into the hit cap and as much crit as possible. Stat weights, I just don't know about. Everywhere I look has a different set of numbers.

Alter time I've been trying to save to get 6 extra seconds of lust, but then I get caught up and forget, it's just something I'm going to have to work to remember.
    Last edited by korsic; 2012-10-12 at 07:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi, i am not native speaking english so hopefully everything can be understood.

Here is, how i am building up big ignites:

at least 2 things should be up:

1. magebomb
    2. heating up

Better would be additional pyroprocc but not that important.

So if you have the 2 things up do the following:

infernoblast (for pyroprocc) -> use OnUsetrinket -> presence or mind -> alter time -> pyro (from infernoblast or procc) -> pyro (from presence of mind) (-> additional pyro if both crit) -> alter time -> pyro (from infernoblast or procc) -> pyro (from presence of mind) -> (-> additional pyro if both crit) -> combust and have fun

so you can easy build up a combustion with 4-6 (sometimes 7) pyros in a row

hope that helped you

Deleted
    Abraxis, I'm pretty sure your rotation doesn't work since ignite only lasts 4 seconds and doesn't improve indefinitely, you have 6 Pyroblasts which would be 9 seconds of global cooldowns. If we pretend you can fill them in the Ignite duration and you don't get your third crit you're sat around waiting for alter time to land since you have no instants to fill the gap from range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomitory View Post
    Abraxis, I'm pretty sure your rotation doesn't work since ignite only lasts 4 seconds and doesn't improve indefinitely, you have 6 Pyroblasts which would be 9 seconds of global cooldowns. If we pretend you can fill them in the Ignite duration and you don't get your third crit you're sat around waiting for alter time to land since you have no instants to fill the gap from range.
    I am doing this with a macro, so trinket, presence of mind, alter time and the first pyro goes out by hitting one button.
    so its: macro, pyro (pyro), macro, pyro (pyro)

The only bad thing that could happen is, that you dont crit. But if you crit the ignite will be renewed. Just keep an eye on your crits (SCTD e.g.) an on the hight of the actual ignite (combustion helper e.g.). If you get an very high one after the first 2 or 3 pyros u can hit combustion and just fire the outstanding pyros after that.

But by playing like this i am totally happy with my combustions for most of the time. And no crits out of 4 to 6 is very unlucky.

Edit: What do you mean with sat around waiting for alter time??

YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT 6 SECONDS. By hitting alter time again you get your buffs back INSTANT
    So maybe this is the point you didnt know.
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2012-10-12 at 07:58 AM.

Deleted
    I understand Alter Time, PoM, trinkets are off the global cooldown, that isn't what I said.

infernoblast (for pyroprocc) -> use OnUsetrinket -> presence or mind -> alter time -> pyro (from infernoblast or procc) -> pyro (from presence of mind) (-> additional pyro if both crit) -> alter time -> pyro (from infernoblast or procc) -> pyro (from presence of mind) -> (-> additional pyro if both crit) -> combust and have fun
    This list contains 6 Pyroblasts, they are never off the global cooldown.

Your list is overly complex without purpose. Using Alter Time in this way doesn't really make sense, you gain nothing from casting it when building combustion that you wouldn't from using it 6 seconds before your trinket effect wears off, you'd also have more time to think and you'd be less likely to screw up if you do get lucky with crits on your first 2 Pyroblasts.
    Last edited by mmocc5b636c3e7; 2012-10-12 at 08:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, got that. But thats only a problem if none of those Pyros crit after the first one.

This would be very unlucky and without crit you ll never get a high combustion anyway

And to have an eye on remaining ignite, crits, and hight of ignite is basic.
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2012-10-12 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    Actually, you get an extra PoM out of it doing it your way which might make it worth it. I didn't mean it's complicated to look at buffs, I meant it can be difficult to work them in to the ignite window with global cooldowns when you have to make a decision in the middle of it and you have pretty much no time. If you get Pyroblast! immediately after your PoM+Pyro you should use it along with combustion, otherwise you should use Alter Time. If you delay at all in making that decision you waste a large Ignite.
    Last edited by mmocc5b636c3e7; 2012-10-12 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think its that hard.

If u dont crit get the next pyro out as fast as possible.
    If u crit you have new 4sec. So get 2 pyros out as fast as possible.

If anotherone crits get the rest out and combust.
    If no additional crits use combustion after those 2.

Edit: What i also call "basic" but maybe not everyone use it is a stopcasting comustion macro like this:

/stopcasting
    /cast combustion
    /cast fireball

So in any situation you can hit combustion instant.

And after a crit 4sec are enough to get to 2 more instants pyros + combustion out easy.
    So as a rule of thumb:

if the 2nd or 3rd pyro crits you're fine. Usually its just 4 or 5 pyros just sometimes 6 or 7. AND 5 6 or 7 are only possible if u had enough crits, so ure gonna be fine anyway with them
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2012-10-12 at 08:29 AM.

Deleted
    Ignite also stacks from normal hits, so I'm not sure why you say 'If you crit you have new 4sec'? You want as many crits as possible on your Ignite before the first crit falls off.

One of us is misunderstanding, I'm not sure who. If you get a Pyroblast! after your PoM+Pyroblast, it means you had 2 Pyroblast crits, it's the most you can really hope for. At this point you have at least 2xCrit + 1xHit, possibly 3xCrit of Pyroblast! on your Ignite. The point you have to make the decision to cast another Pyroblast or Atler Time is after your PoM+Pyro and it has to be immediate or your first Pyroblast's crit will fall off your Ignite.
    Last edited by mmocc5b636c3e7; 2012-10-12 at 08:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh kk, i have to confess, that i haven t noticed that u dont need to have crits anymore for ignite.

I just look at my combustionhelper after crits to check remaining time and hight.

So i do have one question because i didnt payed attention to it yet.

If any ignite is applied it only lasts 4 sec andy every hit in those 4sec just make it higher an after 4sec a new ignite is applied?

Edit: I ll check that by myself to after work today.

But anyway. The opportunity of 4-6 instantpyros is one of the best ways to build up a big ignite. After which pyro u hit combustion is up to the ignite. But with which combo the chances to build a big ignite are higher?
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2012-10-12 at 09:21 AM.

Deleted
    I just made this which is how I think it works:

I think there's a very small window after the first pyroblast falls off (at 4.5 seconds) where you can use Combustion and have its tick included, I believe I read this in this thread.

Sorry for derailing your thread a bit korsic, I'm not sure how they get such large Pyroblast hits and crits. I've had the same experience, I have pretty much the same spell distribution and count in logs as higher DPS fire mages, but their values are a lot higher with similar gear. We have completely buffed raids as well. I'm obviously missing something.
    Last edited by mmocc5b636c3e7; 2012-10-12 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vomitory View Post
    I just made this which is how I think it works:

I think there's a very small window after the first pyroblast falls off (at 4.5 seconds) where you can use Combustion and have its tick included, I believe I read this in this thread.

Sorry for derailing your thread a bit korsic, I'm not sure how they get such large Pyroblast hits and crits. I've had the same experience, I have pretty much the same spell distribution and count in logs as higher DPS fire mages, but their values are a lot higher with similar gear. We have completely buffed raids as well. I'm obviously missing something.
    It's completely fine, I was wondering what the most effective way to get your combustion high, and how high my ignite should be before I stop holding it and just use it, so this actually gave me a lot to think about.

Thank you very much for your interesting input.
    I'm definitely going to try it out, and also archive this thread =)

10+ Year Old Account
    So i checked the ignite this weekend.

With every pyro hitting the target the duration of ignite is resetted. So there's no 4sec window. U can pump in all 4-6 Pyros and use combustion when the ignite is fine for u. Usually it should be around 25k-50k.

So just try out what i wrote with PoM and AT.

This is how i start a Fight and usually my DPS after hitting the first combustion is aroun120k-200k.

1. Cast Evocation
    2. Cast Mirror Images
    (2.1 use elixir)
    3. Hardcast Pyro (Pull should come when hardcast is finished)
    4. Cast Living Bomb
    5. Cast Fireball

After the first crit:

Infernblast -> Macro (as i told u before with PoM and AT) -> pyro (->pyro) -> macro -> pyro (-> pyro) -> Combustion
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2012-10-15 at 09:07 AM.