Displayport question

I'd like to apologize if this has been answered before but I'm on my phone and my Internet at work is a bit terrible.

Ok so right now I have an Asus IPS monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236288

It's refresh rate for vertical and horizontal is around 30-83hz and have no displayport. I also have an EVGA 670 FTW and it has a displayport on it.

Now I am not super familiar with displayport but right now I am using a DVI cable and the max refresh rate I get is 60hz. If I use a displayport->DVI cable would that allow my refresh rate to go higher as it says on the monitors page on newegg? Also would there any benefits to use that cable in terms of anything?(power,color, anything)

Displayport is a new thing to me and I'd like to experiement but I'm more curious about the refresh rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    hdmi/DVI/DP are the same other than hdmi takes audio
    DisplayPort can do audio too.

But Bluxwave is correct in saying that digital is digital, I don't think changing cables will do anything for your refresh rate.

Thanks for the replies!

I should have been a bit more clear with why I thought it would increase my refresh rate. I thought I ready something about displayport being able to handle 120hz and DVI can't? So I assumed if I used displayport maybe I could use the refresh shown on the newegg page.

I still may buy a Displayport to DVI cable just for funsies tho.

I don't see why that would be the case. I thought dual link DVI actually had the highest bandwidth of any digital signal format.

Oh is it? I'm just basing my information on hearsay from random sources, when I get home I think I'll do some more research. Because now I'm curious about highest bandwith cables!

Never mind, apparently I was wrong. HDMI 1.3 and DisplayPort 1.2 have superior specs to DVI. I was just going off of memory. I've never actually played with refresh rates myself, so I'm not sure what the issue is here, but dual link DVI is definitely capable of doing what you want. It supports up to at 1920x1200 @ 120hz. Maybe you've got a single link DVI connector?

Video is one of my weaker points but I know my DVI cable has missing pins on both ends if that means anything?

Also could you recommend a good displayport -> DVI cable or DVI 1.3 cable?

Single link DVI is more common and good enough to run 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, but only at 60hz refresh. When you look inside a DVI plug, one side will have a little bar and the rest will be a grid of connector pins. A single link interface will have two 3x3 groups of pins with a gap between them while a dual link interface will have a single 3x8 pin group.

Yes I do have the gaps in the DVI pins its 3x3. And I do run at 1920x1080 on two monitors.

So if I got a dual link DVI it might affect refresh rate higher than 60hz if my monitor supports it?

Yup, it should be that simple provided you don't have any graphics hardware limitations or something along those likes. Considering they only go up to 83hz rather than 120, I don't think there should be any problems.