[10 man]Gara'jal: Controlling Voodoo doll dmg as a tank

Hey guys,

So we have been getting very close on Gara'jal and we are currently 2 healing it. We got him to 5% but a lot of our wipes are near 30-40% where one of the tanks(blood dk(myself) or our prot pally) takes a big hit from the boss which ends up killing someone with the voodoo doll debuff. Now, the obvious thing to do is to rotate cooldowns properly and through that time damage is fine. As soon as CD's are over, that is when massive damage goes out.

A healer that has voodoo who is at half HP can literally get killed in one hit by gara'jal on the tank. Now, we are both fairly geared at about an ilvl of 465 equip. I, specifically, rotate my cooldowns through as well as popping them within the first minute or two of the fight so they are up again throughout the fight.

The other tank does the same. But, it doesn't always work. We also run with a resto shaman and a holy priest so there are no great CD's to place on the tank.

So, my question is: How do you guys control your voodoo dmg as tanks?

*Typed this up quick, if there are any grammatical errors I'll fix them soon D:*
    Last edited by Lirik; 2012-10-12 at 04:13 PM.

You need to time your active mitigation with Shadow Attacks, since those hit the hardest. As a prot paladin I simply pool HoPo until the shadow attack timer ticks down, then SHOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanudis View Post
    You need to time your active mitigation with Shadow Attacks, since those hit the hardest. As a prot paladin I simply pool HoPo until the shadow attack timer ticks down, then SHOTR.
    That's very useful to know. We downed it last night, but had problems with what the OP was saying. I'll make sure my co-tank knows this for next week.

Swap the priest to disc. The shadowy attacks ignore absorbs, but you can eliminate a huge amount of the normal melee damage. It'd also give you a pain suppression for your cooldown rotation. Other tanks (particularly warriors) have more options for mitigating those shadowy attacks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanudis View Post
    I'm actually going to come back and question this. I've looked over our logs and it doesn't look like this damage is physical. In which case it certainly avoids my active mitigation (protadin here).

Can anyone answer this for certain?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=60143
    Log of our raid last night, maybe someone else can read it better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    I'm actually going to come back and question this. I've looked over our logs and it doesn't look like this damage is physical. In which case it certainly avoids my active mitigation (protadin here).

Can anyone answer this for certain?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=60143
    Log of our raid last night, maybe someone else can read it better than I can.
    Run this query in log browser and you can see every shadowy attack in the log:
    [{"spellNames": ["Left Hook"]}, {"spellNames": ["Right Cross"]}, {"spellNames": ["Sweeping Kick"]}, {"spellNames": ["Hammer Fist"]}]

Not really related to the tanking part, but make sure your healers are not worrying about their mana too much and just got nuts. One dip in the spirit realm and they should be full man again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maladi View Post
    Run this query in log browser and you can see every shadowy attack in the log:
    [{"spellNames": ["Left Hook"]}, {"spellNames": ["Right Cross"]}, {"spellNames": ["Sweeping Kick"]}, {"spellNames": ["Hammer Fist"]}]
    No, I see the attacks, it doesn't say what type of damage they are. If they are not physical damage then it will not be mitigated by SoTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    No, I see the attacks, it doesn't say what type of damage they are. If they are not physical damage then it will not be mitigated by SoTR.
    Right, the dungeon journal says they're shadow damage, but the only way I know of to know conclusively if any particular ability is mitigating them is to run that query, as well as queries for the mitigation abilities in question and see how much damage you take when the ability is active. I don't "think" SoTR reduces the damage taken by shadowy attacks, but with those queries you should be able to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    Hey guys,

So we have been getting very close on Gara'jal and we are currently 2 healing it. We got him to 5% but a lot of our wipes are near 30-40% where one of the tanks(blood dk(myself) or our prot pally) takes a big hit from the boss which ends up killing someone with the voodoo doll debuff. Now, the obvious thing to do is to rotate cooldowns properly and through that time damage is fine. As soon as CD's are over, that is when massive damage goes out.

A healer that has voodoo who is at half HP can literally get killed in one hit by gara'jal on the tank. Now, we are both fairly geared at about an ilvl of 465 equip. I, specifically, rotate my cooldowns through as well as popping them within the first minute or two of the fight so they are up again throughout the fight.

The other tank does the same. But, it doesn't always work. We also run with a resto shaman and a holy priest so there are no great CD's to place on the tank.

So, my question is: How do you guys control your voodoo dmg as tanks?

*Typed this up quick, if there are any grammatical errors I'll fix them soon D:*
    Got any paladins? BOP the tank. This fight is just like alyzrazor if you bop the tank he doesnt lose threat but takes 0 melee damage for as long as BOP is up since he casts vodoo he focuses on the targeted tank ignoring threat. Im a prot paly and used bop twice+bubble once+had another bop from our holy paly and we used them as cd's since it basically stops all vodoo damage for the duration of the bop.
    Last edited by Moshots; 2012-10-12 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maladi View Post
    Right, the dungeon journal says they're shadow damage, but the only way I know of to know conclusively if any particular ability is mitigating them is to run that query, as well as queries for the mitigation abilities in question and see how much damage you take when the ability is active. I don't "think" SoTR reduces the damage taken by shadowy attacks, but with those queries you should be able to find out for sure.
    Ok, I didn't think to look at the dungeon journal. This means that they can't be affected by my active mitigation. But magic damage reductions will help, and, if Momirmaster is accurate, bop and bubble (though bop will still only negate physical damage)

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Got any paladins? BOP the tank. This fight is just like alyzrazor if you bop the tank he doesnt lose threat but takes 0 melee damage for as long as BOP is up since he casts vodoo he focuses on the targeted tank ignoring threat. Im a prot paly and used bop twice+bubble once+had another bop from our holy paly and we used them as cd's since it basically stops all vodoo damage for the duration of the bop.
    i dont think this works on heroic
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    You're full of shit honey.

Deleted
    it does =)

keeping people topped off is hard? We did this with a resto shaman, mistweaver & holy pally (resto shaman the first week & mistweaver the second).

Honestly the only issue we had with this fight was rotating the correct people in the totems. Took a matter of like 4 wipes, healing was a non issue on this fight.

Hearing the priest is crap healer atm is bs. I've seen plenty of competent healers & priests on this fights mana regen should be a non issue.

As one person said make the priest go disc. Holy shouldn't be an issue either but disc will make it easier if you must.

We had some really big issues with 2 healing this fight the first night we tried (for about an hour). Today, after learning of the HoP-thing, and finally getting around to realizing that there's no AoE damage so we can just stack up, we killed him on the second pull with no great difficulty (after previously failing to ever get him even close to the enrage, mainly due to voodoo doll damage).

Trying to keep people alive with single-target heals was just hopeless for us, but with everyone stacked up, and a HoP on the tank if too many people are dropping low, made it a breeze. As a holy paladin, nonstop holy radiance spam was everything that was really required, and our priest didn't have any problems either.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    They are 2healing it. Read then post
    Uh we 2 healed it as well. Read before you post as well...

First week we did it with a resto shaman and holy pally and the monk went windwalker. After realizing how sub par the windwalker dps is we made him go mistweaver the next week healing WITH the holy pally and the resto shaman previously went elemental.

At this current moment walking in with 463 gear I highly doubt that unless you have god dps that you can 3 heal this fight let alone is it necessary.