Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Its ok if EU gets more world firsts in WoW. Its because they are so pissed we get more world firsts in the Olympics in their homeland. . Especially when Us gets as much Bronze as UK gets gold .
    2012 medal count
    *Raises hand*

    Hell, I'm from the UK, and I'm not particularly bothered about the Olympics; I was simply proud that we won far more than we usually do, and that most of us have a mentality of "china and the USA win everything because they're huge superpowers, have a far bigger selection of sports-people, are huge countries. We're fine, not bitter, and proud to be good at ANYTHING." Plus I think the fact we won Tennis finally just sealed it.

    I have not met or spoken to one person who is "pissed" about America getting more medals.
    Good on you.

    OT: I have no idea why EU always wins, there seem to be fantastic players from every single region.
    I can't think of any social concepts or even genetic ones that might make Americans "worse gamers", because they're not.
    "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how bad ass my discipline priest looks."

  2. #22
    In my opinion, EU guys are more intelligent and better educated than American guys. Therefore the EU guilds are quicker to learn and pick up on boss mechanics.

    Also EU guys are in better shape and better physical condition allowing them to do all nighters and still perform to the best of their ability. Look at Sco, GM of Method. He is in good shape and looks healthy. Now loot at Araat, GM of Blood Legion. He is overweight and in terrible physical condition.

  3. #23
    Brewmaster Nigeldruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Its ok if EU gets more world firsts in WoW. Its because they are so pissed we get more world firsts in the Olympics in their homeland. . Especially when Us gets as much Bronze as UK gets gold .
    2012 medal count
    Since this is US vs Europe, I'm pretty sure europe got a lot more medals in the olympics than the US did, making your point look silly .
    Nothing worth having comes easy. That's why hard content is worth doing, and easy content is a waste of time.

  4. #24
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    11,682
    I wouldn't even venture a guess. One thing I will say is that when wowprogress got the challenge mode leader boards up the first week or so, most the guilds that were in the top 20 or so for any dungeon were all EU guilds. Like 18-2 or 17-3 ratios of EU to US.

    No speculation, just thought that was interesting and makes this very unsurprising.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  5. #25
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    I don't think neither has better players, it's just that in EU you can have players without work because the social security will pay everything.
    Haha, I love this argument.

  6. #26
    usa-population ~315 Million
    Canada ~34 Million
    EU-Population (27 countries that politically count as "EU") ~503 Million

    So EU has potentially more players. On the other side, finnland (where paragon comes from) has only 5.4 Million population.....

    Challenge-Modes could be because of the 12h earlier start of the expansion but raids started 12h early on us-realms

    btw: every country out of the 27 in EU has its own different education-system, social-security structure, government, law, language (not all 27, but most of them different) a.s.o. - so please don't do any generalised judgements. You wouldn't imply that every american is in good shape because of obama while every german is overweight because of Helmut Kohl ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Kohl ) - so judging from 2 guildleaders on a population of 300-500 million of people is rubbish

    As far as social security goes - being without a job and have enough money for videogames, a monthly fee and a good computersystem? not gonna happen

  7. #27
    Stood in the Fire paulywally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliq View Post
    Haha, I love this argument.
    Americans, such as myself, grow very apathetic toward raiding or linear things. When i think of the USA, i think of PvP, when i think of Europe, i think of linear Raids.

    Just my 2cents.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Its ok if EU gets more world firsts in WoW. Its because they are so pissed we get more world firsts in the Olympics in their homeland. . Especially when Us gets as much Bronze as UK gets gold .
    2012 medal count
    If all the European countries add up their medals together as one, they have more than US.

    On-topic:

    It has nothing to do with who has the most time here, US raids as much as EU, if not more (remember BL killed HC deathwing during x-mas while EU guilds took a 3 day break). It just so happens to be that EU has been killing the end bosses slightly faster than the US, the difference isn't really that big, maybe the difference lies in experience the EU guilds have compared to the US, I'm not sure, the difference is too small to label a big reason to it.

  9. #29
    Stood in the Fire shadowstep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lisboa
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by paulywally View Post
    Americans, such as myself, grow very apathetic toward raiding or linear things. When i think of the USA, i think of PvP, when i think of Europe, i think of linear Raids.

    Just my 2cents.
    I have to agree with this...
    maybe im wrong but i always thought the the US always had the best Pvp players and we in EU always had the best PvE players...

    and to reply to the other posters in this thread :
    The argument that we can get more World firsts because we are unemployed lazy people is just plain stupid and offensive...
    Its like me saying that you(US) would get more world firsts if the bosses droped Hamburgers instead of purples....
    Last edited by shadowstep; 2012-10-13 at 04:18 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthThrall View Post
    In my opinion, EU guys are more intelligent and better educated than American guys. Therefore the EU guilds are quicker to learn and pick up on boss mechanics.

    Also EU guys are in better shape and better physical condition allowing them to do all nighters and still perform to the best of their ability. Look at Sco, GM of Method. He is in good shape and looks healthy. Now loot at Araat, GM of Blood Legion. He is overweight and in terrible physical condition.
    Lol if this were true then all of the fat lazy americans wouldn't win any metals at the olympics. Instead they dominate showing that they aren't fat or lazy but are in just as good physical condition as other countries. If all americans were dumb then they wouldn't invent most of the worlds inventions including the internet, the computer and the electricity you are using to see this forum.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:56 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid View Post
    Since this is US vs Europe, I'm pretty sure europe got a lot more medals in the olympics than the US did, making your point look silly .
    European Union 306
    United States 104

    Yep you are right. Of course the eu is 27 countries making the medal average 11.3 medals per country. The U.S. is 1 country making the medals per country 104. Winner U.S.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:59 AM ----------

    I'd have to say its environment. U.S. is a entertainment based society. On average we throw more parties, go to more movies, and have more things to do other than wow. eu is also a colder environment so there's a longer period of staying inside out of the cold and playing wow. Paragon is from a very cold country.

  11. #31
    Herald of the Titans starkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Planet Caravan
    Posts
    2,974
    EU have better health care.
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

  12. #32
    Stood in the Fire shadowstep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lisboa
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    Lol if this were true then all of the fat lazy americans wouldn't win any metals at the olympics. Instead they dominate showing that they aren't fat or lazy but are in just as good physical condition as other countries. If all americans were dumb then they wouldn't invent most of the worlds inventions including the internet, the computer and the electricity you are using to see this forum.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:56 AM ----------



    European Union 306
    United States 104

    Yep you are right. Of course the eu is 27 countries making the medal average 11.3 medals per country. The U.S. is 1 country making the medals per country 104. Winner U.S.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:59 AM ----------

    I'd have to say its environment. U.S. is a entertainment based society. On average we throw more parties, go to more movies, and have more things to do other than wow. eu is also a colder environment so there's a longer period of staying inside out of the cold and playing wow. Paragon is from a very cold country.
    i know that all americans are not lazy or dumb, but you are not helping that cause
    electricity, internet and the computer are NOT american inventions....
    just do some google( <- american invention) search if you dont believe me...

    internet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
    electricity - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_electricity
    computer - http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa050298.htm

    As far as i know US has winter too and in some states you really have some nasty cold weather, even worst than many countries in Europe, so that argument is kind of wrong...

  13. #33
    Legendary! True Anarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shadowlag Valley
    Posts
    6,957
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Its ok if EU gets more world firsts in WoW. Its because they are so pissed we get more world firsts in the Olympics in their homeland. . Especially when Us gets as much Bronze as UK gets gold .
    2012 medal count
    EU had more gold medals than the US too.
    "Civilized men and bloody giants."

  14. #34
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    412
    Higher unemployment rates in Europe

  15. #35
    afaik us teaches statistics in university instead from ~7 grade like eu, might be why many us raiders can't into propabilities and dps math
    correct me if im wrong but i got told this by two different us friends i asked cause some online classes i took had math questions i had expected in grade school but not university

  16. #36
    I don't see why they keep this thread open, I mean the whole point of this thread is EU vs US, no matter how you slice it it's gonna devolve into country/continent bashing, which frankly it already has.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    Lol if this were true then all of the fat lazy americans wouldn't win any metals at the olympics. Instead they dominate showing that they aren't fat or lazy but are in just as good physical condition as other countries. If all americans were dumb then they wouldn't invent most of the worlds inventions including the internet, the computer and the electricity you are using to see this forum.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:56 AM ----------



    European Union 306
    United States 104

    Yep you are right. Of course the eu is 27 countries making the medal average 11.3 medals per country. The U.S. is 1 country making the medals per country 104. Winner U.S.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 04:59 AM ----------

    I'd have to say its environment. U.S. is a entertainment based society. On average we throw more parties, go to more movies, and have more things to do other than wow. eu is also a colder environment so there's a longer period of staying inside out of the cold and playing wow. Paragon is from a very cold country.
    I have to ask one thing, have you ever been to any European country? i mean...really man? you party more? go out more? Have more to do? and the idea that EU has a colder enviroment is just way off, due the fact that most of the european countries are not that chilly and this is coming from me, who live in sweden. And fun fact, US has almost a full day ahead of EVERY european guild due to server reset? so the question is rather why do the US constantly fail at getting world firsts even with that massive head start? I cant remember a big US guild that has been in the top for a long time,perhaps Death and Taxes but that was back in Vanilla, and Exodus did a bit on Yogg-Saron but they cheated so it doesnt count.
    So your argument about the difference is completely off, wrong and about as trustworthy as the weather forecast on the news.

    Oh and about the so-called "entertainment based society", i would rather say "boxed-in trigger fingers with a flag tattoed on the forehead" but thats just me ^^
    Last edited by Vampyren; 2012-10-13 at 09:49 AM.

  18. #38
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Once again the European gamers get a world first before any US guilds. It makes me wonder why this happens frequently. Are there more European raiding guilds? Are they better players? Do they have more leisure time to play?

    Any substantive reason for this?

    Please if you can't keep this civil don't bother posting in this thread.
    If you talk about "progression" you should maybe tell us how that progression is split in the Top 10, Top 100 or even Top 1000. Man, you may even be fair and check it among ALL guilds, because I think they pretty much all want to "progress". And not just the run to World first.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 11:53 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    Lol if this were true then all of the fat lazy americans wouldn't win any metals at the olympics. Instead they dominate showing that they aren't fat or lazy but are in just as good physical condition as other countries. If all americans were dumb then they wouldn't invent most of the worlds inventions including the internet, the computer and the electricity you are using to see this forum.[COLOR="red"]


    Yep you are right. Of course the eu is 27 countries making the medal average 11.3 medals per country. The U.S. is 1 country making the medals per country 104. Winner U.S.
    That to me is is a good post to show how to bend statistics. In the cases above I think you should take the number of all americans and all europeans and apply obesity or inventions made in those two areas.

    I mean...what would you say if I go: Oh Netherlands has like 15 million inhabitants, USA like 350 million but Netherlands is gonna kick your arse in soccer on any day. (to which you rightfully would counter with a baseball, football or basketball example that is the other way round)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  19. #39
    I think cultural bias towards "hardcore" gaming plays an important part. Maybe in Europe playing games for the longer part of a day is socially acceptable. And having a welfare system that supports them without having them worry financially helps a lot.

    Here in Asia, despite what people think, society has a very negative impression of young people who spend their entire day playing video games.

  20. #40
    Note to you, not all EU countries are on welfare and helps kids play wow all day long, and socialy acceptable, perhaps, but mostly no. And as a swede myself, getting that so called "welfare help", is more then just sitting around, it actually requires some effort^^

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •