Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    I have the same motherboard and I am running 20GB of ram with no issues.

That said though why is an EVGA board in an Asus computer.
    Its a custom pc

Quote Originally Posted by Juano View Post
    lol i dont understand anything in the first link, i did the second one but nothing happened
    http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1546247.html

Same deal on this board, check voltages. Might have to start understanding the first link, it'll likely solve the problem. Try different seating as well, try only two 8 GB sticks alone, or rearrange in other ways as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the most important question everyone overlooked was... why is more than 8 GB ever necessary in the real world? If he's not doing any heavy video rendering I feel everyone is just spinning their wheels for nothing. I use 4 GB and even during my most crazy multi-tasking sprees I've not even hit 3.6 gb....
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    I think the most important question everyone overlooked was... why is more than 8 GB ever necessary in the real world? If he's not doing any heavy video rendering I feel everyone is just spinning their wheels for nothing. I use 4 GB and even during my most crazy multi-tasking sprees I've not even hit 3.6 gb....
    24 may be excessive, but RAM is cheap, so why not? I've hit over 7GB used on numerous occasions. It's really easy with enough tabs, photoshop, game, etc open. And if you can, do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    I'm idling at 4.4 with just a few apps open. WoW/itunes/skype/vent/fraps/web browsers and I start pushing 5.5. Add in some simcrafting or using my PC as a DAW and I'm pushing 8 easily.

It really depends what it's being used for and what the rest of the PC is capable of (often the RAM isn't the bottleneck). That said I struggle to see what would make use of 24gig

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    It really depends what it's being used for and what the rest of the PC is capable of (often the RAM isn't the bottleneck). That said I struggle to see what would make use of 24gig
    Compiling Android from source requires at least 16 GB and realistically you'd want something closer to 128 GB just to make the process not incredibly painful. It's not unreasonable to think that a nerdy guy might want to hack on a popular phone operating system -- maybe to use it as a control device for some robots project or as part of a college class. Maybe they just like geeking-out hacking on something interesting.

Compiling things in general tends to respond well to tossing RAM at the problem. You won't notice much of a gain for something like a typical homework assignment but if you're building say OpenOffice or Firefox (because you want to contribute to open source software) then 16 GB is probably the minimum you'd want.

Anybody interested in electronic music can easily consume 1 GB for a particular voice and I've seen some sample libraries that use 4 or 8 GB for an instrument.

But even your mom could consume 10+ GB if their OS is clever enough to use their ram as a file cache (and they'd notice the performance improvement browsing their Lightroom library filled with baby pictures from their new DSLR) or using Photoshop with the scratch file moved to a ram disk. Editing video in an imovie-type editor (especially image stabilization) is improved by additional memory.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Compiling Android...closer to 128 GB just to make the process not incredibly painful.
    Well that's stretching it a bit, but ya compiling any sort of code, encoding videos, 3D rendering, and multi tasking all eat up RAM there are tons of ways to use more than 8G.

Actually, when playing games like TOR earlier this year, my 16GB came in handy cause it allowed me to set up a RAM disk which allowed me to play it without being extremely laggy.... Go figure.... It costs nothing so there is no harm in having some of it, just got my 32GB kit of corsair dominator platinum and my maximus v Extreme card. It looks sexy and it will be enough to do whatever I want with it........

Can't say for the OP but most of my RAM gets taken up by VMs. Ram is dirt cheap anyways, 24GB of ram is like $100.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're going too offtopic, OP did you try reseating the RAM?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory