Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate- View Post
    What's the advised hit/exp caps for challenge modes? Is it worth capping for trash (6% hit, 12% expertise, level 92 cap) or should you aim for bosses as well (7.5% hit, 15% expertise, level 93 cap)

I'm tanking (prot paladin) and have targetted the trash cap, reforging for haste to push up dps, but I'm unsure if this is the best strategy for maxing dps while tanking challenge modes. I'm largely ignoring survivability on bosses, as they are nowhere near as lethal as the trash meaning ShotR uptime can be ignored for arguments sake.

I don't raid anymore, so I'm talking about a challenge mode only gear set here.
    We actually briefly discussed this, but just used our raid setups most of the time afaik. Trash tends to be harder than bosses, but the bosses definitely represent the most time in combat. I suspect raid hit/expertise will lower your times the most, while trash values will make things 'easier' aside from the timer. Just a guess.

You have thanks from me as well, those really helped our team getting into Challenge modes and we're halfway through, readying ourselves for harder half.

Still having some issues staying alive on big trash pulls. My healer insists on pulling smaller groups, but I keep saying we are never gonna get beyond silver unless we have larger pulls with more control and aoe dps.

I am usually pulling, popping IBF and once it has a few seconds left using Remorseless winter.

My group comp is
    Me (Blood DK)
    Healer (Holy Priest)
    DPS (SV/BM Hunter)
    DPS (Destruction Lock)
    DPS (Boomkin)

Any tips with that comp? I don't know hunters/locks very well, I want to move away from hard cc and use more group stuns.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

^Which dungeons specifically? Trash in some dungeons hit way harder than the others.

However, in general, your healer must be working towards supporting your group for the biggest pulls possible. If this means popping all cooldowns and spamming inefficient spells to keep people alive on trash, so be it. Bosses can often be healed with little to no mana, especially since you're a Blood DK.
    Ashr

We just did Niuzauo temple tonight. Only made one attempt. Went well until we got past the 2nd boss encounter. I skipped all the trash between it and the 3rd boss except the big 3 pull infront of him.

I know warlocks can use rain of fire for an aoe stun. I generally wait until they the lock does this, and then I use remorseless winter. I am wondering if the hunter and boomkin have anything to assist us in use soft cc against large pulls. I am considering the boomkin knock back against melee, along with glyph of death and decay, and maybe chillbains to kite them so we can do some sick aoe dps as I under hard CC suck as glyphed fear, freeze trap, etc aren't good because you really need to mow through thrash for golds.

We are currently getting bronze on most runs, and some are doable on silver. But OFC we want gold.

Yeah I'm also one of those people dying to try CMs but with dailies, raiding, work, sleep... why did they have to release so much damn content lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I wouldn't whine and say that there needs to be less melee friendly mechanics, but I will whine in saying that there should be more anti-ranged mechanics. I couldn't think of one scenario where our composition really shined over a group with 2-3 ranged DPS.
    Yeah but that's kind of true of WoW in general :P

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 06:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    I know warlocks can use rain of fire for an aoe stun. I generally wait until they the lock does this, and then I use remorseless winter.
    I'm pretty sure they removed the random proc stun on RoF. You might be thinking of Shadowfury?

Shadowfury, yeah, available to all lock specs. RoF still proc stun iirc, but it's hurting you more than helping by giving your Winter dr. Your lock should go Demo, as much as I love Destro (raiding with it etc.), Demo will be superior on trash pulls even accounting sniping with Shadowburns (only exception I would say would be Setting Sun gate, few cleave packs, only first pull can be called aoe, final boss weak spot burst). It also have knockback if you really need it. Yours Boomkin Vortex could come in handy.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the guides Marza! They helped out lots =D

We just did Niuzauo temple tonight. Only made one attempt. Went well until we got past the 2nd boss encounter. I skipped all the trash between it and the 3rd boss except the big 3 pull infront of him.
    We ran past all packs and started boss encounter on the far right took him to phase 2 and tank took ALL trash used all defensive CDs and grouped them up on boss and we used the bombs to kill them off in a few seconds... Easy as dell

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still having some issues staying alive on big trash pulls. My healer insists on pulling smaller groups, but I keep saying we are never gonna get beyond silver unless we have larger pulls with more control and aoe dps.

I am usually pulling, popping IBF and once it has a few seconds left using Remorseless winter.

My group comp is
    Me (Blood DK)
    Healer (Holy Priest)
    DPS (SV/BM Hunter)
    DPS (Destruction Lock)
    DPS (Boomkin)

Any tips with that comp? I don't know hunters/locks very well, I want to move away from hard cc and use more group stuns.
    You have to do large pulls in order to succeed. I did everything as a Blood DK in DPS gear and we managed okay. Sometimes when I did it I instantly went splat, but it was something we had to expect.

First off demonology warlocks are by and large the best kind of lock to have. Most packs need to be AoEd down quick and they certainly bring the AoE.

I ran with a Warrior so we always had RW > Shockwave > Shadowfury. Pulls where RW were down were opened up with on of the other two.

Just gotta go with what feels right honestly as far as CDs go. Opening with IBF while you're casting RW is a really big waste of both CDs IMO. You want the longest stuns possible because of DR. Using the above order our group got what I believe was 8.75 seconds of continuous stun. Of course there were small 1 second gaps in the stuns just so we could let casters start casting and use it a pseudo interrupt. If you reverse the order however you end up with a 6.5 second stun instead of an 8.75. It doesn't seem like a lot but it really is.

Just to throw some pulls at you.

Gate of Setting Sun - Pulled the entire ramp up to the first boss in one pull. Also pulled the entirety of the ramp up to the third boss in one pull.
    Stormstout - All the elite monkeys and roughly 40 normal ones.
    Mogu'shan Palace - The entire first hall way up to the first boss.
    Scholomance - Half the the second bosses room at a time. Entire room (LoS) of third boss. Entire room before fourth boss.
    Scarlet Monastery - Four pulls in the Cathedral. Half the entrance at a time and then both alcoves separately of course.
    Scarlet Halls - The entire treasury room. Sometimes we would split pull the the two big packs before the last boss, but depends on time.
    Shado-Pan - Entire first room. Three Sha in the second, then 2 Sha with the entire Monk pack.
    Siege of Nizauo - Basically a rhythm that repeats. Half kill first pack then pull slimes. Rush to next pack and repeat. Just make sure flakes wear off before killing a new pack.
    Temple of the Jade Serpent - First half of library (up to the talking fish) and when half the pack is dead we pull the rest of the room. When the trash is half dead we drag it down and AoE to start RP. Finally we pull the entire courtyard before the third boss in one massive pull.

Some of these packs are more dangerous than others and given that you have an all range group some of that might be easier for you. We did it with 2 melee and a Demo lock and some of these pulls were absolutely nasty. Blood DKs have a really nice advantage in swapping talents. Sometimes I would actually run Purgatory even. Lastly some pulls really do require finesse with chillblains kiting.

I actually swapped my talents out quite a bit as a Blood DK. Because of

Glad people are getting use As far as specific comps...yeah everything is going to be different, but it really just comes down to soft CC of interrupts, stuns, kiting, whatever. Figuring out how to blow huge packs of deadly mobs up without falling over dead yourself. The better your group gets at this, the more stuff you can add to a pull. If your healer is asking you to go too slow...I'm not sure what to say. They honestly need to toughen up a little bit and WANT to go faster, if the healer is satisfied with safe bronzes and you're hungering for golds, you need a new healer. It's going to take some skills and some effort to push faster times and you're just inviting discord if you try to drag someone kicking and screaming through something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by xrayEU View Post
    We ran past all packs and started boss encounter on the far right took him to phase 2 and tank took ALL trash used all defensive CDs and grouped them up on boss and we used the bombs to kill them off in a few seconds... Easy as dell
    Tryed this method, I didnt live long enough for bombs to start spawning with IBF up.

As for getting a new healer. We are one of two guilds on the server that run Challenge modes, the other guild basically isn't welcome on server either. They all transferred to Gnomeregan to snipe realm firsts. Our healer is quite good. Was just looking for more ideas for soft CC.

Do hunters have anything I can use to my advantage? I am thinking of using the boomkin knock back into a glyphed DnD.
    Last edited by Playintrafic; 2012-11-01 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Tryed this method, I didnt live long enough for bombs to start spawning with IBF up.

As for getting a new healer. We are one of two guilds on the server that run Challenge modes, the other guild basically isn't welcome on server either. They all transferred to Gnomeregan to snipe realm firsts. Our healer is quite good. Was just looking for more ideas for soft CC.

Do hunters have anything I can use to my advantage? I am thinking of using the boomkin knock back into a glyphed DnD.
    Try waiting a little bit before charging in there. What we did:

Pull boss at the back, ignore the 3 trash packs for now. When the boss runs to the middle, we waited 3-4 seconds before chasing him over, so bombs had some time to spawn. Then I MDd the incoming boss adds and the further trash packs to our tank (prot warr), who then popped CDs, while our healer (RDruid) spammed the shit out of him then deterrenced (via symbiosis).

We then just hurled bombs like madmen and from then on it was easymode.

Allright thanks, I didn't realise you could wait. I assumed they would aggro once the boss got close enough.

Really thinking of trying to recruit a mage since the warlock doesn't come as much as we'd like and the 2nd hunter we bring in to replace him isn't really welcome in raiding content or any form.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    You have to do large pulls in order to succeed. I did everything as a Blood DK in DPS gear and we managed okay. Sometimes when I did it I instantly went splat, but it was something we had to expect.
    Cut down the quote a bit, but thanks for all the tips. I do quite frequently change my talents. Usually have a stack of tome of the clear mind, or more, for each run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome guides, I've cleared the first 5 using them.

You can use Ursol to keep them in place if you can't tank them long enough, just group them up and then throw in a ursol so you can run out and they should be dead.

So SH Is the easier one to start with right?

Great guides man, my team is just missing gold brewery right now. Probably gonna have it by tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
    So SH Is the easier one to start with right?
    I thought so initially, but the dogs have a lot of quirks and people have mentioned a lot of frustrating inconsistencies in the zone. Difficulty-wise, I think it's fairly easy, but it's probably quite discouraging to run into those issues early on. For that reason I'd recommend Gate, it's simply more straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by theyanger View Post
    I thought so initially, but the dogs have a lot of quirks and people have mentioned a lot of frustrating inconsistencies in the zone. Difficulty-wise, I think it's fairly easy, but it's probably quite discouraging to run into those issues early on. For that reason I'd recommend Gate, it's simply more straightforward.
    Ahh k, tyvm