Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Made all gold today as as Blood DK, Shadowpriest, Fire mage, Elemental shaman and Restodruid.

Hardest one by far was Scarlet Monastery. Big pulls and not many aoe stuns = tank gonna get gibbed.
    But we found Shado-Pan monastery to be very easy with our group. Probably one of the easier ones for us, as we made it with around 1 minute to spare.

Some tips for shadowpriests:

Have a Voidshift macro for your tank. Sometimes he just get gibbed instantly before he can catch a heal, and this macro WILL save you quite a lot of wipes.
    Mine looks like this:

/stopcasting
    /cast [@tanknamehere] void shift
    /cast desperate prayer
    /cast healthstone
    /s << Voidshift on tankname! >>

Have it on a bind where you can react fast.

As for talents, I specced Twist of Fate and Halo for most dungeons, because of the very high uptime on it. I can't see any of the other talents being better, ToF wins by a mile. For 90 talents I took Halo for the most part but certain instances doesn't allow for using halo (like scarlet monastery), so I had to use Divine Star. I didn't use cascade much as it does pretty bad single target and it actually has a risk of pulling everything in sight, such as the first pulls in SM, so I didn't really use it. Also Halo is really good for the extra group healing.

I used glyph of VE in all of the challenge modes, and it was a true lifesaver. Having an on demand raid healing cooldown was indispensable. We relied on that a lot on many pulls. Glyping it makes it more bursty, and do 25% more effective healing than non glyphed. Definitely a taker.

Used Glyph of Mindspike on most other pulls due to using FDCL. In instances where you have to spam mindsear a lot (SM again), you dont get to use Mindspike a lot, so I ran mindbender instead and swapped out the mindspike glyph for Psychic Scream, for the extra aoe interrupt, which is very helpful on the big caster pulls in cathedral and after the first boss.

Last glyph was usually Dark Binding, so I could help healing without losing an extra GCD to go back in form. In certain instances I had to change dark binding to Mass dispel, like scarlet monastery (to dispel fanatics), and Jade serpent (for the courtyard pull, or the Sleep debuff the bird does in the library).

But VE, Mindspike, Dark Binding was my stable ones, and Mass Dispel and Psychic scream was situational. Mind Flay is also an option, I used it in instances where I didn't need to heal, and we needed all the dps we could get to make the timer, but not a lot of room for it so I usually swapped it out.

A last tip; there are some bosses that you can comfortably respec on before entering combat, such as the endboss in Setting Sun, Brewery and Shado-pan, and others and I suggest swapping to Power Infusion on those. Twist of Fate isn't very good for bosspulls, but Power Infusion is great as it is a high burst cooldown, and it will give you some extra seconds on your kills, especially when stacked with potion and bloodlust. If your group allows it, keep it in your bag of tricks if you need to shave off some time. Just remember to rebuff Inner Fire before you pull.
    Last edited by mmoc9e8e7fdb19; 2012-11-19 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks for the guides man, very helpful.

We had our first attempts tonight and got gold in Gate and SH pretty easily. We're running Disc, Prot Pally, WW Monk, Frost DK and Ele Shammy. Feels like a pretty solid comp since fists of fury stun doesn't DR with other stuns but I'm a bit worried about double melee, mainly on bosses.

Anyone got any tips for our combo or just double melee in general? I'd like to stick to the same people all the way through.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love CMS
    As a Holy Pally they're all failry easy but i reckon having a bdk and a solid dps grp make it way easier for healers too.

ATM i'm missing

Siege of Niuzao Temple
    Shado-Pan Monastery
    Stormstout Brewery

(ye not much time to try em, basically we try 1 cm every now and then and in 1/2 hours we get the gold, counting a lof of afk slack between tries).
    Anyone they're really funny, and a good way to test trials in guild

Deleted
    Thanks for the Guides, finally made all Gold with a Protection Warrior, Frost DK, Rogue, Hunter and a Holy Paladin

I found Mogushan Palace and Brewery to be the hardest places and was rather astonished how easy Shado-Pan was, even though it's quite long.

I'd like to thank you again for those, finally managed to get last ones. We also found that Mogushan as hardest of all, with no aspect/roar or mass stealth, getting past to second boss unnoticed is extremely hard and depends on where RNG decide to put patrol, and the timer seemed really tight. On contrary, we get Monastery in third try with 1,5min to spare, and bit similar with Shado Pan with even more extra time.

Can someone please tell me why all the healers use the Klaxxi amber thingies to regain mana even if they have mages in the group? If I know well the mage food and the klaxxi thingy gives mana at the same rate and you don't have to click-remove the mage food so it is a better way to regain mana in challenge modes in my opinion.

They don't. The Klaxxi amber restores mana twice as fast and doesn't break as easily as normal food.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theyanger View Post
    They don't. The Klaxxi amber restores mana twice as fast and doesn't break as easily as normal food.
    This is false, they give mana back at the same rate (klaxxi amber and mage food)
    klaxxi amber was nerfed
    Last edited by mmocd4569adb10; 2012-12-19 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tidus93 View Post
    This is false, they give mana back at the same rate (klaxxi amber and mage food)
    klaxxi amber was nerfed
    Just used a Klaxxi amber and it refilled my entire mana pool in ~6-7 seconds. Mage food doesn't do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Just used a Klaxxi amber and it refilled my entire mana pool in ~6-7 seconds. Mage food doesn't do that.
    Check the buff you get when you use it, both are 15k mana / second

Quote Originally Posted by tidus93 View Post
    Check the buff you get when you use it, both are 15k mana / second
    Unless it was hotfixed this week (we did Challenge Mode attempts last week with it), it's still faster than mage food. The top Wowhead comment on the page for Restorative Amber explains the tooltip error:

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active! Challenge modes have been my main source of WoW fun lately.

I've been tanking challenge modes recently, I play Brewmaster and I have been running with a Mistweaver healer and a varying dps comp (usually have the same rogue with us and NEVER more than one melee). Brewmaster is pretty rewarding, when I am playing well my damage is very high and my survivability seems on par with other tanks. I'm a bit torn on level 90 talents, Xuen can be great but his taunt sometimes messes up positioning, so I have been rocking Rushing Jade Wind a bit. Fortifying Brew is a fantastic CD, the only QQ I have about it is that it lacks the stun immunity of the Death Knight's Icebound Fortitude. So far we have gold in Gate of the Setting Sun, Scholomance, Scarlet Halls and Temple of the Jade Serpent.

I have found that AoE stuns, having as many buffs as possible, heroism, and invisibility potions are pretty essential for success. I always carry Runescrolls of Fortitude for the Stamina buff (8% but better than nothing) and a set of Drums of Speed for a speed boost before invisibility potions or just on a long run. Although if a group is good enough you could probably have any comp. I love having an Ele Shaman in the group, great AoE, great single target burst, so many buffs, heroism and Capacitor totem. An example of how nice stuns can be: the first pull in Temple of the Jade Serpent with an Ele Shaman and a Demo lock, I died maybe 1 attempt. Doing attempts later without either of those, I was unprepared for the incoming damage and I died a lot. It was still doable, but it took adjusting and I prefer having more stuns.

We're trying to think of which dungeon to do next. I'm thinking Shado Pan Monastery, all the skipping that we can do after the second boss (rogue stealth) and after the third boss (invisibility potion the last two trash packs after getting 4 purifies on the first trash pack) makes it seem like a pretty easily doable gold. I've heard mixed things about which dungeons are hardest, probably since composition is important for different strategies.

If you haven't tried Challenge modes yet... do it! Lots of fun. I hope to do them on my Blood/Frost DK and Resto Druid when I finish with my Monk.

MASSIVE thanks to this guide - helped us get all golds with our comp;

bear - surv hunter - shadow priest - enh shaman (me) - resto druid

we found brewery being the biggest pain to learn (spent too much time worrying how to spawn the 2nd boss). but like everything else we learned doing these if you overthink about it too much you tend to forget the basics a good example of this we spent over 2 hours scarlet halls (deemed the easiest, and we were pushing a server record (frostmourne US has rediculous competition) and ended up just "getting it done for gold" and we walked into shado-pan and one shotted it.

these are awesome fun and by the looks of it there is some serious competition globally with some of the times being put up with the higher end guilds having more time on their hands now

We did Shado Pan Monastery and Stormstout Brewery this past weekend. It was quite funny, we cleared both of them in less than the time it took for all of our Temple of the Jade Serpent progression, most people seem to say Jade Serpent is easy and the other two dungeons hard, but it was all backwards for us.

Shado Pan's timer is pretty generous if you skip the Sha packs after the second boss and get four purifies on the first defender (I don't think most people took this strategy into account when labeling the difficulty of Shado Pan's timer, it's much tighter if you don't do this) and skip the rest after the third boss. Had our rogue disconnect for basically the entire last boss, but still had plenty of time.

Stormstout was pretty fun. Marza's kiting method looks solid for DKs, but as a Brewmaster it wasn't working out well so I would pull ~10-15 mobs at a time and facetank them down with high vengeance and cooldowns and then pull more. Of course many barrels were used to help out. A weird thing we encountered (maybe 50% of the time), the vermin trash would start swarming into the first boss room before we had killed him. It never caused a wipe, but it was weird, has anyone else had that happen? The hardest part of the instance is definitely the 'heal enrage' on Yan-Zhu IMO. We got to pull him with ~2 minutes remaining on several attempts pretty easily, but could not beat the 3rd set of adds and he'd start to heal. We played better and got our damage up, but he was the hardest part to beat.

Going to do Scarlet Monastery tonight. It looks like it will be the most challenging dungeon, the casters are vicious and can be super deadly if not LoS'd properly.

One piece of general advice I will throw out is that if you are just going for golds and not ranked times, be careful with trying to exactly follow what looks like a great youtube video strategy. I found that certain mob skips or pulls were too unreliable for the group I had at the time and it was more beneficial to deal with the lost time and make it up elsewhere. Example being the Sha mobs before the Sha of Doubt in Temple of the Jade Serpent. Perhaps our hunter was just bad or we were unlucky, but every time he tried to pull them into the room and Feign Death they would aggro on the rest of us. We ended up skipping 3 more mobs earlier on and just killing them and it worked out a lot more reliably. Probably common sense, but don't beat your head against the wall with a strategy that your group is unable to pull off and try to find something that works!

Thanks for this. Saving this thread.

my group plans to start challenge modes soon so i'm wondering what i should do if as an alchy i dont have the 18 second invis pot.

should i try to find someone who has them to make or what :/ world drops suck

You can clear 9/9 gold with 15s potions. Maybe not with Aftermath's strat, though. I haven't watch all their videos (we didn't use their strats) so I'm not sure they use the additional 3s, but IIRC they skip one more trash that we did at least in Shado-pas Monastry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pjammiez View Post
    my group plans to start challenge modes soon so i'm wondering what i should do if as an alchy i dont have the 18 second invis pot.

should i try to find someone who has them to make or what :/ world drops suck
    Did all of mine on my alt DK with the 15 second pots. Some instances will require you to accommodate your pot with a speed boost, but seeing as how pretty well all classes have one, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    You can clear 9/9 gold with 15s potions. Maybe not with Aftermath's strat, though. I haven't watch all their videos (we didn't use their strats) so I'm not sure they use the additional 3s, but IIRC they skip one more trash that we did at least in Shado-pas Monastry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Did all of mine on my alt DK with the 15 second pots. Some instances will require you to accommodate your pot with a speed boost, but seeing as how pretty well all classes have one, it shouldn't be a problem.
    thanks so much for the responses. made me feel a lot better about starting these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjammiez View Post
    thanks so much for the responses. made me feel a lot better about starting these.
    You can do full gold runs with almost any comp you want, and the other invis pots. You wont be getting top 10 ranks or anything, but you'll be getting the job done, which is all that matters. There aren't as many people doing challenge modes as there should be, compared to active raiders and pvpers, but there are a fair amount of guides and videos that can work to your advantage. Remember though, other people's strategies wont work for everyone, or sometimes anyone else, because that's how they are able to do it. You need to find what works for you, and what your team is comfortable with doing.