Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Zealand to put The Hobbit on it's stamps and coins.

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/10/th...-to-new-ze.php

In my opinion, this is an amazing idea. These hobbit coins will actually be legal tender, although I can't imagine people actually spending them. This kind of makes me want to move back there even more.

So what about you guys, would you visit New Zealand in order to collect some hobbit money?

15+ Year Old Account
    no, kind of a weird idea if u ask me.

omg... i'm so.......so.......so..... going to visit some day!!!!!!

That's awesome, but there's massive insects in New Zealand D;

Deleted
    Seems interesting. xD

So, each gold coin costs 3.700 dollars? That's a lot for just a coin, no? I haven't seen coins before being sold for so much.

Atleast the silver coin, set of 8 coins, only costs 890 dollars and the brown aluminium/zinc ones cost only 30 dollars(85 dollars for the three coin set).

I'd say that the gold and silver coins are rather expensive, but the aluminium/zinc ones are very acceptable, if I went to New Zealand, I'd buy atleast one aluminium/zinc coin.

Each coin features a different Hobbit character and an inscription in Khuzdul (the language of the Dwarves) that reads, 'He who dies with the biggest axe wins.' Fine, it just says 'Middle Earth - New Zealand.'
    I laughed at this part. xD

Sucks that in the back of the coins, apparently, Queen Elizabeth is in there, for what reason?

Also, the stamps look cool for collection too and aren't exactly expensive if you don't plan on using them.

And yes, I would most definitely go there if I could and buy atleast a zinc/aluminium coin!

Quote Originally Posted by Purifier View Post
    Don't worry, with your smell, they just run away.

<3

10+ Year Old Account
    They're harmless if you mean Whetas. Had one crawl across my bare foot once while I was lying down watching TV and when I jumped up startled it just ran off rather than bite me or anything

They're also endangered so don't kill them if you see one!
    Only saw a wheta on 3 occasions that I recall, in 9 years of living there. And once it ended up dead but it was an accident

Deleted
    Oh, one thing I didn't get, can these coins be used as actual currency to buy like food or anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Seems interesting. xD

So, each gold coin costs 3.700 dollars? That's a lot for just a coin, no? I haven't seen coins before being sold for so much.

Atleast the silver coin, set of 8 coins, only costs 890 dollars and the brown aluminium/zinc ones cost only 30 dollars(85 dollars for the three coin set).

I'd say that the gold and silver coins are rather expensive, but the aluminium/zinc ones are very acceptable, if I went to New Zealand, I'd buy atleast one aluminium/zinc coin.

I laughed at this part. xD

Sucks that in the back of the coins, apparently, Queen Elizabeth is in there, for what reason?

Also, the stamps look cool for collection too and aren't exactly expensive if you don't plan on using them.

And yes, I would most definitely go there if I could and buy atleast a zinc/aluminium coin!
    I 'think' they're using real gold and silver which would account for the huge price difference

Queen Elizabeth is on the back because they're legal tender and New Zealand is in the common wealth.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 05:44 PM ----------

Oh, one thing I didn't get, can these coins be used as actual currency to buy like food or anything?
    Yes! But you'd be spending at a minimum $30 to buy something for $1

Even more reason to visit NZ!

I'll kill for a Gandalf-coin!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I 'think' they're using real gold and silver which would account for the huge price difference

Queen Elizabeth is on the back because they're legal tender and New Zealand is in the common wealth.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 05:44 PM ----------

Yes! But you'd be spending at a minimum $30 to buy something for $1
    Ah, that makes sense why she is in the back of the coin then.

Also, I think it would be weird if people actually used those coins to buy stuff.

I would never do that, since it would be something rare and it will only exist in New Zealand, for sure.

Deleted
    You mean you'd rather have huge insect coins? Or how is it relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    You mean you'd rather have huge insect coins? Or how is it relevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post

So what about you guys, would you visit New Zealand in order to collect some hobbit money?
    Scary insects makes for a very bad visit/holiday!

Deleted
    Scary insects makes for a very bad visit/holiday!
    Oh that is true I'm terrified of 2 cm long centipede out here lol

I think I'll get the stamp set... Can't afford the coins >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty awesome idea. collectors who collect stamps and coins and stuff will have a FIELD day with these.
    Hi

What the heck??? I live in New Zealand and i had no idea lol....

Pretty strange but cool :P There are legal tender Harry Potter 1 USD bills as well as other bizarre 1 dollar bills lol

Deleted
    I think the most weird part in all this, is that you can actually use these coins to buy food, games, etc, like if it was real currency. xD

The thing is, if I gave a zinc/aluminium coin, that costs 30 dollars, to buy some food that only costs 1 dollar, would they give a change of 29 dollars? I'm curious about that.

I think the most weird part in all this, is that you can actually use these coins to buy food, games, etc, like if it was real currency. xD
    Yeah, commeorative coins are like that. I wonder if anyone ever actually spends one...

The thing is, if I gave a zinc/aluminium coin, that costs 30 dollars, to buy some food that only costs 1 dollar, would they give a change of 29 dollars?
    Yeah, it's a $1 coin that will cost you $30 to get XD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    no,
    usually special mint gold coins are an investment or collectors

there not used for general currency
    Ah, I thought, somewhere, in the article, it said that it could be used as currency. I don't know if they can or not, even though it's just for collection, but I am still interested to know if it can be used as currency or not.