Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    How can someone find DK DPS boring? Have you seen Mages? They literally spam 1 button, and a 2nd button when sh1t procs... -.-
    A DK at least has some randomness, fluidness, and fun to it's rotation.

DKs rock PvP. They're pretty much good against anyone if you know how to play it, though I've had troubles against Pally's. DKs can solo pretty much anything pre-MoP, and most importantly.... They have glowy eyes :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref View Post
    DKs rock PvP. They're pretty much good against anyone if you know how to play it, though I've had troubles against Pally's. DKs can solo pretty much anything pre-MoP, and most importantly.... They have glowy eyes :P
    Really ?! You got the warrior's IWIN skillmacro all figured out ?! You got the BM hunter's IWIN skillmacro all figured out ?!

Dks have no cooldowns that enable them to avoid physical damage (IBF is a joke, which is why a lot of people glyph it to half cd but also half duration, so they can use it a stun breaker), therefore really "skilled" players on classes with huge on demand physical burst can kill you, bury you, ressurect you, kill you again and bury you again within 3 seconds.
    Last edited by mmoc213777db2f; 2012-10-16 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    matter of opinion really, I like to dps on my dk.
    What you just said, is articulate, it is intelligent, and it is logical. There's not a thing wrong with what you just said and god bless you for claiming that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    What you just said, is articulate, it is intelligent, and it is logical. There's not a thing wrong with what you just said and god bless you for claiming that right.
    Why thank you. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    1. How are they in PvP atm, what do they have the most trouble against ?
    I am currently frost, I'm having a great time, we're a little bit squishy but resilience will fix it.
    Plus, I'm having trouble with druids bleeeh.

2. Has the damage been lowered down, or is it alright ?
    Obliterate damage is really good, Frost Strike damage is too low imo.
    Overall the damage is good.

Blood is also a lot of fun, I love it. UH is just not my cup of tea.
    Qui a rejeté son démon nous importune avec ses anges.
    -Henri Michaux

I place a lot of value in how muh fun a classes rotation is since that is what you're doing all the time.

I find frost is pretty active with the 1 sec gcd and the procs and all. But it needs something. I like how unleash elements works for enhance shaman: something with a fairly short cd that is the no. 1 priority in the rotation. Frost could use something like that to break up the 3 spell spam fest.

I also don't like how every single melee attack uses the same damn animation. When you're spamming abilities as quickly as DKs, it looks really goofy.

Deleted
    I recently finished levelling my DK, whereas my Druid was my first 90 char.
    My frustrations while levelling my Druid was humungous, as it took me AGES to kill one damn single mob, even in near BiS from DS.

When I then started levelling my DK, it went so much faster and so much smoother, and it was a hell lot of more fun than my Druid.
    I then started doing Heroics as tank now, and I really enjoy it. The Blood spec seems to be doing really well in Heroics at least, and I tanked while having an undergeared frost DK in the group, who was doing fine DPS.

So PvE wise I think they are fine PreRaid.

PvP wise I really dont know.
    I'm a SkillCapped subsriber and just watched a video from a Resto Druid PoV who was playing with a UH DK.
    They did really well against both 2x DPS teams, and dps/Healer teams.

I have no idea if DK's are doing fine on their own in BG's, but if you enjoy the class (as I really do), you will learn how to handle different situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dk is very nice if you like really active tanking, meaning doing something all the time and soloing old stuff as our selfheal as blood is huge.
    Frost is nice for DPS in PVE as one of our core abilities gives is AOE and that is why it seems like you do huge DPS in dungeons. Once you go to the boss though the DPS will normalize and ul lfind yourself in the middle of the pack,if everyone else is same Ilvl ofc. I like the frost dps as it is fast with 1 sec CD and it doesnt have a real rotation per say (like a warrior or pally even).
    PVP as frost is problematic, to say the least. Most people will tel you its easy and you top damage charts, although they are right, they dont PVP a lot. Everyone who pvps a lot as frost will tell you that you are meat fodder, you can do a lot of damage but if focused , you are like wet tissue paper, die in seconds. Rogues will be your worst nightmare. Do not try to kill druids, or you will be in trouble as you cant really root them and their off heals are a lot more powerful than yours. Speaking of DK healing, its one of the worst of all classes currently. 2 of the heals u can get are borderline bad, one uses your RP which you very very much need to give you delayed healing...the other is a ranged spell that hits like a wet noodle in PVP as the healing is based on its damage, so think about it. The only good heal we have is pet heal on 2 min CD and DC heal, which requires you to use up your fear braker, so its a trade.

Bottom line- frost DK is good in PVE, on higher Ilvl doesnt scale that good though.
    PVP- if you go UH and learn how to micromanage your ghould, you will be doing well. Frost is just for BGs for fun, but also be prepared to die a lot and fast.
    Last edited by Mitak; 2012-10-17 at 09:02 AM.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone been tanking on a warrior and DK this expansion, and able to make comparisons? Before the expansion launch I was very torn on what I was going to main; Raid on the blood DK or the Protection warrior. I decided to go with the warrior because I have been maining him since BC. I am not sure if that was the best choice now and we 3 (2?) weeks into the new raid content at this point. My co tank is a blood DK and he just seems to have a much easier job with it all. I have better gear on my warrior but seem to be doing about the same or less damage then him on his DK. His self heals are sky high, his damage taken is about the same as me, with worse gear. It's frustrating really. I jumped on my DK last night after the raid and tanked through Storm Stout and Jade temple and... the difference is quite surprising. I seem to have to work quite a bit less for more really.

/signed Frustrated, contemplating powerleveling up my blood DK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    DKs are very boring to DPS on, and I mean very very boring. tanking seems good right now though
    well, that depends.. its like get so many DS's in as possible, then you have to wait i dont know how long time -.- over and over again..

and while waiting, you can do shit, remember in wrath? was fun being a tank there, today its just a pain in the ass..

I rolled the rogue up to 90 first... within 2 days decided to roll the dk to 90 as it was painful. It was faster and more enjoyable than the rogue - leveling as blood is hilarious. You can pull every mob you see into a pack and kill them at once. Quest done. Rinse and repeat. You can also solo tank several of the group quests, elite mobs, etc. I hate having to rely on anyone else... I've always found the DK to be quite self sufficient.

Dk self sustainablity is wonderful, mobility is the beauty of playing a warrior. DK's are a bit stronger damagewise atm, but its not that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well after co-tanking with a DK last night I am having serious doubts about my warrior. Possibly I am just being emo but... I am not sure. These are some of my frustrations currently and the comparison of the abilities. Please, any pro tanks we have here dispute what I am saying or make corrections if my thoughts are not inline with reality.

Active mitigation:

OK, so this is the not so new system that the DK has had since inception but now the rest of the tanks are getting it. I would say however for the DK it is less active and more so just rotational. I haven't looked into bear or pally tanks at all this expansion so please feel free to add to this if you like. This system is has been put in place to make tanking more interesting and to give the tanks a choice; Do I want to press this defensive button and save some incoming damage or do I want to press this other button to do some damage to the mob?

How do the classes use active mitigation?:

Warrior:

A warrior's active mitigation system is actually pretty good in the fact that you get to avoid physical damage through shield block http://www.wowhead.com/spell=2565 or all/magic damage through shield barrier http://www.wowhead.com/spell=112048 . The weakness I see with this however is that, and this is how the system is supposed to be designed in the choice, you are not doing damage/threat when you press one of these keys. You could maybe make the argument that your shield slam will be buffed on the next press with shield block up, but that doesn't help you right then.

Death Knight:

I believe the DKs tanking system inspired this whole active mitigation system. Put more control into the tanks hand of their health and give them more choices to make it interesting! Just like the warrior, a DK can avoid some physical damage and some magical damage. The active part of the DK tanking is using http://www.wowhead.com/spell=49998/death-strike to heal, and create a physical absorption shield and you can press http://www.wowhead.com/spell=48707 to mitigate magic damage.

Monk:

The new kid on the block also has his active mitigation system. Monks gain the stagger ability http://www.wowhead.com/spell=124255 via the Stance of the sturdy Ox http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115069 . Monks spam blackout kick http://www.wowhead.com/spell=100784 because it also causes you to gain Shuffle, increasing your parry chance by 20% and your Stagger amount by an additional 20% for 6 sec. So now you make a choice, do I do more damage or do I press guard http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115295 or do I press Purifying Brew http://www.wowhead.com/spell=119582 to get rid of the stagger damage?

So.... with this new system we have to make a choice. Do we do damage or do we avoid damage? Negative. The blood DK breaks this because he is doing damage and threat through death strike. Is the DK just better because of this? Are druids or paladins doing damage while avoiding it or do they have to stop damage output like the monk and warrior to avoid it? /Sigh.

The choice for DK lies in using your runes on Death Strike or on 2 Heart Strikes (or 2 Blood Boils if high enough vengeance, not sure about that). Thing is, death strike still hits pretty hard. The difference might be smaller, but the choice is still there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitak View Post
    Dk is very nice if you like really active tanking, meaning doing something all the time and soloing old stuff as our selfheal as blood is huge.
    Frost is nice for DPS in PVE as one of our core abilities gives is AOE and that is why it seems like you do huge DPS in dungeons. Once you go to the boss though the DPS will normalize and ul lfind yourself in the middle of the pack,if everyone else is same Ilvl ofc. I like the frost dps as it is fast with 1 sec CD and it doesnt have a real rotation per say (like a warrior or pally even).
    PVP as frost is problematic, to say the least. Most people will tel you its easy and you top damage charts, although they are right, they dont PVP a lot. Everyone who pvps a lot as frost will tell you that you are meat fodder, you can do a lot of damage but if focused , you are like wet tissue paper, die in seconds. Rogues will be your worst nightmare. Do not try to kill druids, or you will be in trouble as you cant really root them and their off heals are a lot more powerful than yours. Speaking of DK healing, its one of the worst of all classes currently. 2 of the heals u can get are borderline bad, one uses your RP which you very very much need to give you delayed healing...the other is a ranged spell that hits like a wet noodle in PVP as the healing is based on its damage, so think about it. The only good heal we have is pet heal on 2 min CD and DC heal, which requires you to use up your fear braker, so its a trade.

Bottom line- frost DK is good in PVE, on higher Ilvl doesnt scale that good though.
    PVP- if you go UH and learn how to micromanage your ghould, you will be doing well. Frost is just for BGs for fun, but also be prepared to die a lot and fast.
    This....it's a pretty accurate view of DKs right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost makes my piss boil, but UH and Blood are awesome

Not really liking my Dk at the moment, in terms of more casual Frost PVP. Cata play felt fairly intuitive imo, and I felt I had very little need to pay super close attention to my runes/RP as I knew that with my rotation abilities/runes would refresh as I needed them, and I had Blood Tap as a lifeline in hairy situations.. Things felt fast, efficient, and I could comfortably take on anyone and have a more than decent chance of winning the fight..

Now things feel kinda clunky - 5-6 second long lulls in my rotation, only one of the heal abilities is useful and that just gives you one almighty heal every few minutes that can't compare to warr/pally heals, spiky damage and occasionally maddening crit procs that feel awesome when they proc at the right moment and frustrating when they seem to never proc, rune regen options dependant on frost strike, which, if you have no RP, are useless, especially in those lulls when you're waiting 5-6 seconds for sh!t to reset so you can actually build up some more RP again.. I dunno.. maybe I just have to get more used to it. The new Blood Tap is okay, I guess.. but it's just another thing you need to pay attention to in a fight, after your RP, runes x6 and their cooldowns, buffs/debuffs, cd's.. there have been times when I've been so focused on paying attention to all this I hadn't realised I had died 15 seconds ago.

Meh. Jumped on my ret pally for the first time in ages recently it it felt sorta the same kind of intuitive as Frost felt in Cata.. maybe I'll make a more permanent switch.

I'm thinking of trying out my DK since I feel I'm getting a little tired of tanking, and I have to say Frost is a blast. It's deceptively simple, at least at the early stages (As I'm still learning I basically spam HB when possible) but very strong for that simplicity. I may or may not try Blood (I still don't quite understand how Death Strike fits in, other than it's your main thing) but seeing as I'm a bit burned out from tanking I might run with a PVE Frost and PVP Frost spec and see if I have fun

It is stupidly simple to do well as frost, which causes a lot of people to hate on us
    Still, there is far more depth to the rune and runic power system than most people realise, and the difference between a good and a bad dk obivously show.

Deleted
    I'm finding Death Knights quite fun at the moment. I loved tanking with one in Wrath and Cata. It seems MoP hasn't changed the feel of Blood a lot, which I'm okay with.
    Rolling Blood is a great talent