Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
21
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Fluffy Kitten Callei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    10,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Ah, overexaggerating something to suit your point. Of course.
    This is generally where the pot and kettle have a one-word conversation.
    Basing your 12 millions subs giant colossal mmo ENTIRELY on a single theme is not called parody. It's called marketing. Also, parodies? The npcs dialogues seem written by the Chinese tourism association. What are you on about.
    The theme in this instance is the oft-requested Alliance-Horde war. And yes, parodies... or did you not meet Jaomin Ro on the Wandering Isle, Chen Stormstout and Li Li in Valley, Mudmug in Valley, the Tillers in their entirety, the Hozen, the jinyu, the virmen, Sully, the draenei SI:7 agent, the grummles...
    Listen, we're all playing mop, and you can think whatever you want. But EVERYTHING, from critters, to mobs, to plants and trees, landscapes, npcs, architecture, stories is HEAVILY based on Chinese folklore.
    As opposed to Northrend, where much of the architecture and the entirety of vrykul lore were based off of Norse mythology?
    Style wise I find it LESS interesting than other expansions. Wotlk was beautiful to look at. Tbc? Style wise a masterpiece it still amazes me when I fly around the place.
    And here we find the meat of your problem with MoP. That's a legit problem. Trying to disguise you not liking the style as imaginary pandering to a player base by using stereotypes and parodies is where I take umbrage.

    Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

  2. #202
    The thing that surprises me is no one has called out the fact the different metrics were averaged to together to come up with the score. One uses a 100 point metric the other a 10 point metric, so if you add (80+87)/2=83.3. there is no way you can fairly average scores that use different metrics.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    EDIT: We're not talking about the USER SUBMITTED REVIEWS on metacritic here (which can be ignored), we're talking about the actual CRITIC Reviews from respected people like IGN, eurogamer and gamespot.
    Yeah, because those places are really known for their accuracy, fairness, and integrity. /sarcasm

  4. #204
    The Patient Nathreim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    304
    You have a shirtless night elf as your avatar your argument is invalid.

  5. #205
    Bloodsail Admiral StaeleAilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,113
    Oh of course, MoP is a failure and everyone hates it it may aswell close up shop and shut down... right?
    Just because people who no longer play the game or people who think the game has changed too much don't like it and give it bad reviews, doesn't mean its bad. Right now my only issue is that 90% of the end content is dailies and/or gated behind them.

  6. #206
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Listen, we're all playing mop, and you can think whatever you want. But EVERYTHING, from critters, to mobs, to plants and trees, landscapes, npcs, architecture, stories is HEAVILY based on Chinese folklore.
    I'm trying very hard to figure out a justification for this being a complaint without said justification being outright racism or jingoism. Trying, but failing. It comes off as you being simply prejudiced against China for racial or cultural reasons.

    And don't refer to China's current communist regime; MoP isn't about that at all. It's about China's mythology and history. Which wasn't communist at all, so don't try and McCarthy your way out of it.

  7. #207
    Bloodsail Admiral rashen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Please do not even compare.
    Stylewise mop is the equivalent of bending over, taking Down Your pants and shouting WELCOME IN!! to the Chinese market.
    You clearly know very little of what an asian mmo is like if you are comparing MoP to that.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    This is generally where the pot and kettle have a one-word conversation.
    The theme in this instance is the oft-requested Alliance-Horde war. And yes, parodies... or did you not meet Jaomin Ro on the Wandering Isle, Chen Stormstout and Li Li in Valley, Mudmug in Valley, the Tillers in their entirety, the Hozen, the jinyu, the virmen, Sully, the draenei SI:7 agent, the grummles...
    As opposed to Northrend, where much of the architecture and the entirety of vrykul lore were based off of Norse mythology?
    And here we find the meat of your problem with MoP. That's a legit problem. Trying to disguise you not liking the style as imaginary pandering to a player base by using stereotypes and parodies is where I take umbrage.
    There is parodies and parodies. The nuclear us of the 50's and 60's in fallout was a parody/critic. This is a parody/touristic adv.
    Man, I'm talking style wise, this discussion you approached is based only on the way mop looks (as stated clearly in the post you replied to). I agree on the alliance/horde war, it's great. Lore wise.
    Style wise the theme is not influenced, rather completely based off Chinese folklore. Nothing wrong just it makes it less interesting.
    Yes, as opposed to northrend where SOME of the architecture and SOME of the vrykul lore is based on Viking culture. I'm glad you see the point.
    Yeh that's my problem with the way mop LOOKS. I made it quite clear.
    It's a good marketing move but you're open to criticism.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 07:03 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm trying very hard to figure out a justification for this being a complaint without said justification being outright racism or jingoism. Trying, but failing. It comes off as you being simply prejudiced against China for racial or cultural reasons.

    And don't refer to China's current communist regime; MoP isn't about that at all. It's about China's mythology and history. Which wasn't communist at all, so don't try and McCarthy your way out of it.
    You took it out of context. We're disussing style. You are NOT free to insult people as you please. Shame on you.
    I will be kind enough and ignore your post.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    it could be the worst expansion in the history of expacs, but i hardly think this is the correct patch to claim "the verdict is in, MoP blows". in my opinion at least, and i think most people share it, the final patch is what truly decides an expansion.
    Unfortunately you have to pay FULL PRICE for the expansion right now, NOT at the end of the expac. So reviews right now are justified and really important.

  10. #210
    Brewmaster Buxton McGraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Covina, California
    Posts
    1,467
    If you don't like the game, then don't play it. End of story. Move on and stop talking shit about a game you don't like, all over forums about said game.

  11. #211
    The majority of the reviews on that website don't even explain why they didn't like it. They're just 0 and "lol stay away from this failing game." The OP for one of them even said that he only played it for 1 day. I'm sure that's the vast majority of the reviewers for the expansion.

    "It's all well and good to call the low rating givers trolls but the reality is most of us are people who sunk a decent amount of hours in to WoW from the beginning and are sick of the rubbish Blizzard is now flogging us. I was bored of this game within the first few hours and feel like a sucker for buying this after they already ripped me off with Diablo 3. Delete this game from existence a release WoW2 revamp starting from Vanilla days. I think that would be 100x better than kiddycore pandaland. If 70% of people rate this game badly you can't just call them all trolls and ignore them...…"

    ^ pretty much all of the reviews are like this.

  12. #212
    Bloodsail Admiral rashen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Yes, as opposed to northrend where SOME of the architecture and SOME of the vrykul lore is based on Viking culture.
    There is more then just the vrykuls based upon norse lore in northrend, a lot more.

  13. #213
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,923
    Gameplay is substantially better.

    The new things to do at 90 are amazing.

    The game has flow again.

    It's at least on par with Wrath.



    But what's dragged it down for me is the writing of Kosak and Metzen. The fact that they see MoP as Warcraft 4 is glaringly obvious.
    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore


  14. #214
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You took it out of context. We're disussing style. You are NOT free to insult people as you please. Shame on you.
    I will be kind enough and ignore your post.
    And yet, earlier;
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Stylewise mop is the equivalent of bending over, taking Down Your pants and shouting WELCOME IN!! to the Chinese market.
    So no, you're talking about Blizzard supposedly "caving" to marketing pressures to make their product more appealing to a Chinese market, and then acting as if that is somehow a "bad thing". So again, racism or jingoism is what I can come up with.

    If it were just that you don't like the style, then you'd be acknowledging that it's not to your personal taste. That's not what you're doing. You've got an agenda you're pushing, and I'm pointing it out.

    I'm not calling you names. I'm asking for you to explain how these statements AREN'T inherently racist or jingoist. You're stating things as if they were objective fact rather than subjective personal opinion. That it being "too Chinese" is somehow a negative, objectively speaking. That's where I can't see any supportive argument that doesn't boil down to prejudice.

    I'm open to you proving they aren't, but refusing to answer doesn't help your case.

  15. #215
    Such a silly notion to think reviewers will declare how good or bad an expansion is. The players decide this.

    You want facts? Here you go.

    1. There is more end-game content available to players of all skill levels in Mists of Pandaria than any previous expansion.

    2. With the release of Mists of Pandaria, World of Warcraft's subscriptions went above 10 million once again.

    3. Mists of Pandaria is scheduled to have a new system of patches that function similarly to how Burning Crusade's patches were released. While I won't go into the details here, you can expect every other patch (5.1, 5.3, so on) to introduce more content available to everybody, rather than just raid content and maybe associated dailies or dungeons. 5.1, specifically, focuses on more content for soloing or small groups, furthers the legendary quest line, and highlights the Alliance versus Horde conflict with new dailies.
    TL;DR - More end-game content available to everybody than has historically ever been patched in - patches usually focused on the raid scene.

    4. Many long awaited features that players have consistently asked for have finally arrived. Included in these are the renaming of companion pets, a neutral (pick-your-faction) race, the ability to dismount players for world PvP (although this feature COULD be more readily available, seeing as it's a drop from a rare), the ability to interact with players from other realms, and more that I haven't mentioned.

    5. Mists of Pandaria has succeeded at bringing players back out into the game world on a far better scale than Cataclysm or Wrath of the Lich King ever did.

    Personally, I feel Mists of Pandaria has better end-game content than Cataclysm and Wrath of the Lich King (as a whole - Ulduar is still pretty much Blizzard's shining gem). To be honest, it's quite possible that it has better content than Burning Crusade, but it's too early to tell.

  16. #216
    Im having a grea time playing MoP. I started my experience with little expectations and in truth i wasnt really into the Asian theme and some of the new features. Its actually funny but im spending most of my time playing the pet battles .
    I see the game had a bad review at Metacritic so i guess ill have to stop playing MoP .. too bad i was having so much fun.

    ( post meant to be ironic )

  17. #217
    Mechagnome Proxeneta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far north of everything
    Posts
    716
    Way fucking better than Cataclysm at least.

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    If you don't like the game, then don't play it. End of story. Move on and stop talking shit about a game you don't like, all over forums about said game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And yet, earlier;


    So no, you're talking about Blizzard supposedly "caving" to marketing pressures to make their product more appealing to a Chinese market, and then acting as if that is somehow a "bad thing". So again, racism or jingoism is what I can come up with.

    If it were just that you don't like the style, then you'd be acknowledging that it's not to your personal taste. That's not what you're doing. You've got an agenda you're pushing, and I'm pointing it out.

    I'm not calling you names. I'm asking for you to explain how these statements AREN'T inherently racist or jingoist. You're stating things as if they were objective fact rather than subjective personal opinion. That it being "too Chinese" is somehow a negative, objectively speaking. That's where I can't see any supportive argument that doesn't boil down to prejudice.

    I'm open to you proving they aren't, but refusing to answer doesn't help your case.
    Read my posts again and you'll find all you're looking for.
    I was discussing style with a gentleman before you stormed in ignoring what we were talking about.
    Not once I said gathering to the Chinese market is bad.
    You, sir, are COMPLETELY wrong and I suggest, if you have a tiny bit of dignity, to apologise for the horrible things you accused me of and leave the discussion the two of us are having.

  19. #219
    Why do people present others' opinions as facts?
    In honor of all the kids bringing up my avatar:
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wow, for someone with a trollface avatar, you are pretty bad at this.

  20. #220
    Since when IGN are respected people?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •