Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is GW2 Noob friendly? Contols / Abilities

Hello.

So I am wanting to play GW2, but I am wondering how the abilities and keybinds work?

I Play WoW I do not keybind many abilities, apart from the 1-6 keys and a few letter keys, I am mainly a clicker

As most WoW players know being a clicker sorta lowers your performance level, especially in PvP. Sometimes when I play I get over-whelmed with the amount of abilities I have in-front of me.

So how is GW2 in terms of being a Keybinder or clicker? are there lots of abilities for each class?

Have not really read but the prime classes I like are DPS, primarly either rogue or a Hunter type class. something with a bow

So yeah any input / information would be appreciated

You only have a maximum of 10 hot keys for skills. There is a dodge key but can also double tap a directional key to dodge. Some classes also have f1-F4 abilities. All can be rebound.

Most of the commands are positional based- moving, dodging, gap closers, etc.

Other system keys follow the same pattern as WoW or whatever.

Pretty handy overview: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/...NA_Digital.jpg

Guild Wars 2 does not require any extreme finger gymnastics. Far less so than other MMOs actually.

If you want to do anything other than skate through content, I'd recommend keybinding. Given the amount of ground-target attacks some classes have, you're doing yourself a disservice not to.

The good news is that there's only 10 things to keybind (11, if you want to count weapon switching)

Deleted
    Its totaly noob friendly. If pushing 3 buttons to much for you, than GW2 is the game you need, coz you will be pushing even less!

Quote Originally Posted by Pally1 View Post
    Its totaly noob friendly. If pushing 3 buttons to much for you, than GW2 is the game you need, coz you will be pushing even less!
    The fact you have 10 and use them all even at lows level then push a botton to dodge "for me its mouse button 3" the facts seem to disagree with you.

On Topic: Guild Wars 2 dose have a learning cerve but its not a hard one. Once u get use to dodging and weapon swamping the rest comes easy. I will say if you play a melee class make ur other weapon a range for when u need to kite things at a distance.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The only way you'll be pushing less is if you're terrible.

Deleted
    GW2 doesn't have a lot of skills, so you'll need to bind like 15 things or so (including 1-5) which is fairly less and easily done. I do really recommend keybinding though, because sometimes you need to react very quickly with a dodge, a weapon swap or an utility/profession skill. There's also quite a lot ground targeted AoE where keybinding shines, especially with fast-cast ground targeting. But like I said, there aren't a lot of binds needed so you'll get used to it very quick.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

Here you can see the abilities your profession has. You may want to check thief/ranger as you said you prefer rogue/hunter. Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is very very easy.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's got a learning curve, a small one, but it's very noob friendly. Easy to pick up in the first 10 levels, don't be afraid to use different weapons.

Yeah it's quite easy to pick up, just like the majority of mmos. It's a bit more action oriented but if you have any experience at action games or a moba then you will be just fine.

Extremely easy to learn and to master. I have everything except for weapon swap and pet abilities bound. Pet ability = alt + a mousekey though so...

Still trying to find a way to get out of the "lockin" that some abilities give though, that's really all I've struggled with, and means I can't use certain skills if I'm in a very tight spot already.

Well, if you don't mind playing at 50% then yes you can get through the game clicking exclusively. Keep in mind though that quick strifing, kiting and dodging is very important killing and surviving the simplest of quest mobs, especially when there is more than one on you. I imagine some professions like warrior and ranger would be much easier to play effectively without any binds, just don't think you can play an elementalist, mesmer or thief like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Controlling your character is easy, being able to recognize tells and enemy abilities is where most of the mastery of the combat comes in. You can know your own abilities inside and out, but if you don't know what and when to dodge, you're going to go down a lot (in dungeons anyway, and a few instances of events).
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Woah. For a second there I thought I was back in BWE1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally noob friendly, can easily click if you so want, but as with any mmo you'll be gimping yourself.

unlike wow you dont get a BILLION spells to learn and find a place for on your like 6 bars....
    you get 1 bar with 10 hotkeys. and you only get so many of them depending on your level.
    and level doesnt really make a huge difference so you can be level 4 for a long time and still enjoy the game very much. i hardly notice when i level...only seeing it when i notice the little notification on my traits bar saying "spend your 'talent point' now!"

its easy to click, thought i have not tried their pvp yet. its going to be a new game that you have to get into the groove for anyway though and you will adjust easily.
    they have ways to bind a LOT of keys. i made it more similar to my keybinds for wow, just because i played it for years and would often get confused lol. b for bags instead of i for inventory. c for character instead of p for person. and my side mouse button for auto run instead of R. etc.

the only reason i can POSSIBLY think you might want to try to do less "clicking" (because clicking is just fine) is the dodge ability... they let you double tap w,a,s,d to evade in that direction (which you can turn on and off as you please). i find it very useful as my main is a thief and i am constantly evading out of big melee attacks that would kill me if i got hit twice.

i even find the people nicer than wow in that people will run halfway across the map to revive someone who has been defeated for no reward other than being helpful. its nice.
    Ruffles have ridges!....and so do Klingons.

Deleted
    Sort of. On one hand you have few buttons. On the other hand, you need to know when to use each if you want to be good. So, you can be "okish" with little effort, but to be good it does take some knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Sort of. On one hand you have few buttons. On the other hand, you need to know when to use each if you want to be good. So, you can be "okish" with little effort, but to be good it does take some knowledge.
    it isnt faceroll, but i just feel like your statement makes it seem like they need to be smarter than they really do need to be. its noob friendly ENOUGH to get away with it.

its easy enough to see the red circle on the ground and evade out. they can button mash, but it wont be as good as if they know what they are doing.

i probably have a lower standard of playing "well" than you though is the difference. which i think is ok, because we are talking about being a noob.
    Ruffles have ridges!....and so do Klingons.

Deleted
    In terms of controls / keybinds it is nice and easy, you generally have less skills than most MMOs (though still more than certain face roll classes use in some MMOs, especially those that have ezmode macro systems), and even the professions with more skills (engineer & Ele) largely swap in skills to the 1-5 weapon slot. so you don't need any extra keybinds. There is dodge, bu tthat is only one extra keybind.

However to be any good at it, especially in PvP, requires more, you need to know the combo fields & finshers (there are 36 combinations), positioning and movement are generally much more important, you need to be much more aware of range, because in most MMOs, if you are out of range, the skill won't fire, in GW2 it does, so you've just wasted a cooldown, you'l also have to deal with cooldowns that you can't see and that there are no addons to play the game for you.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Guild Wars 2 dose have a learning cerve but its not a hard one. Once u get use to dodging and weapon swamping the rest comes easy. I will say if you play a melee class make ur other weapon a range for when u need to kite things at a distance.
    And, don't forget about your cross profession combos that you can perform by yourself. For example: a thief can throw down a smoke field then use heart seeker (a leap finisher) to go stealth. This opens up 1 of 3 powerful main hand abilities from stealth. Experiment with your prof and your own combos if you find a quest, or a mob, is killing you.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven