Code redeeming shenanigans

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or I was mislead in what I needed to play the game, but after having a free to play account and leveling up to 15 I decided to get the game and bought a key online. It said I redeemed it, but now I can't log into the game at ALL, saying I have no subscription. Am I missing something? Or did Bioware decide to sell the game for $15 only to turn around and ask for another $15 to subscribe after you bought the game? Every other mmo I've ever bought had one month attached with purchase of the main game.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or I was mislead in what I needed to play the game, but after having a free to play account and leveling up to 15 I decided to get the game and bought a key online. It said I redeemed it, but now I can't log into the game at ALL, saying I have no subscription. Am I missing something? Or did Bioware decide to sell the game for $15 only to turn around and ask for another $15 to subscribe after you bought the game? Every other mmo I've ever bought had one month attached with purchase of the main game.
    Actually, if you buy the digital copy, many mmos don't come with 30 days free. Besides, why did you buy it when its going to be free in a few weeks?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I did not know it was going to be free in a few weeks. I hit level 15 and wanted to get further, but couldn't use general chat/whisper people/use the ah/run dungeons or do much of anything.

So basically because I bought the digital version for $15 instead of buying a boxed copy for $15 I have to pay more to get started?

I did not know it was going to be free in a few weeks. I hit level 15 and wanted to get further, but couldn't use general chat/whisper people/use the ah/run dungeons or do much of anything.

So basically because I bought the digital version for $15 instead of buying a boxed copy for $15 I have to pay more to get started?
    Edit: Apparently it comes with a free month.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-10-14 at 02:25 PM.

ugh... fuck this shit. I liked what I played so far and wanted more. But if this is how the game company nickels and dimes people and I can expect more of the same, perhaps I might better cut my losses and stay with WoW.

Thanks for your help hk.

You can subscribe, put a credit card info in, then quit without having to pay for the second month. AFAIK, you DO have a free month with your initial purchase, but they want subscriber info before you "get" that free month.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Actually, if you buy the digital copy, many mmos don't come with 30 days free. Besides, why did you buy it when its going to be free in a few weeks?
    Which games? >.> I can only think of some Rift promotions where they sold the game for 5 bucks but didn't include the first month for free with it.

@Merie: You always have to put your credit card info in and "subscribe" when you purchase a subscription MMO, but you shouldn't be charged for the first month. If I remember correctly, SWTOR includes the first month for free right now with the purchase price, so you should be good.

Whether you bought the digital or physical version, you need to pay for 1 month to play. You can't avoid that. Not because you don't have one free month, but because the game only lets you experience that free month if you pay 1 month.

EDIT: and it's not nice if you stop playing just because of this, as well as it is not nice to see people not know the answer giving the wrong answer and helping you quit.

I don't know why HK is spreading misinformation. All versions of the game come with 1 month free. But like every other subscription MMO ever made you have to enter in credit card information or a game card to redeem it. You can remove the credit card information right after, because it doesn't bill you until after the free month ends.

Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post
    I don't know why HK is spreading misinformation.
    Its clearly a conspiracy to destroy the IMF.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you only buy the code, many mmo's don't give game time. I bought the hard copy of SWTOR and got 30 months play time. But if it's an "upgrade" to a full game, then I don't think they do it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Which games? >.> I can only think of some Rift promotions where they sold the game for 5 bucks but didn't include the first month for free with it.

@Merie: You always have to put your credit card info in and "subscribe" when you purchase a subscription MMO, but you shouldn't be charged for the first month. If I remember correctly, SWTOR includes the first month for free right now with the purchase price, so you should be good.
    It's not "some promotions". That's all that Rift offers is the game for $5 with no free game time.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's not "some promotions". That's all that Rift offers is the game for $5 with no free game time.
    https://www.riftgame.com/en/products/buynow.php
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/39120/

30 days included with both standard edition and the special edition. It's the exception rather than the rule that a subscription based MMO will sell a copy of the game without including a month of game time with the purchase price.

Thanks for the corrections all. After credit card data was plugged in it put me on my free month and I was able to log in and play the game again despite immediately having the card data pulled after the fact. I don't know why my pointer is constantly disappearing or why the closely bunched together flight points I've picked up aren't all linked together like in WoW, but I'm enjoying the story and am glad to be back to experience more star wars.

Thanks for the corrections all. After credit card data was plugged in it put me on my free month and I was able to log in and play the game again despite immediately having the card data pulled after the fact. I don't know why my pointer is constantly disappearing or why the closely bunched together flight points I've picked up aren't all linked together like in WoW, but I'm enjoying the story and am glad to be back to experience more star wars.
    The point would usually "disappear" when just entering exiting an instance and you're close to the instance portal for me, it's there you just don't see it until you move 10' or so from the portal. Not sure if that's what you mean though.

And yeah, taxi routes are like bus routes in florida, sometimes they're just not convenient.

I sometimes get the disappearing mouse pointer. Right-clicking usually makes it visible again.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    https://www.riftgame.com/en/products/buynow.php
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/39120/

30 days included with both standard edition and the special edition. It's the exception rather than the rule that a subscription based MMO will sell a copy of the game without including a month of game time with the purchase price.
    Steam deals aren't the same as Rift deals. As for that offer, it didn't exist when I purchased mine digitally. Only the $5 one with no game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    You can subscribe, put a credit card info in, then quit without having to pay for the second month. AFAIK, you DO have a free month with your initial purchase, but they want subscriber info before you "get" that free month.
    yep, thats the way they handeled it since release

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers