Curious about the state of priests.

I have not played WoW since right after Dragon Soul was dropped. With the new expansion, I am wondering if it is worth my time to play.
    I play a disc priest, have played one since bc, and was just wanting to have honest opinions of the state of priests in mists.
    I am a more pve player, so pvp stats are of little interest to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalathea View Post
    I have not played WoW since right after Dragon Soul was dropped. With the new expansion, I am wondering if it is worth my time to play.
    I play a disc priest, have played one since bc, and was just wanting to have honest opinions of the state of priests in mists.
    I am a more pve player, so pvp stats are of little interest to me.
    I am glad I could be the first here.
    If you'd have asked me a week ago, I'd have said they are terrible (disc and holy.)

Now... they are less terrible.
    I am a disc Priest.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...owpetal/simple (if you want a sort of general "gear to get" idea)

Our mana regen is completely terrible, and I still think our throughput could do with tweaking, but other than that we bring a lot of utility.

The fight Disc really shines (that I've done) is Feng.
    I play Holy because it's pretty much essential on Spiritbender, and with Stone Guards I played Holy but you could probably get away with Disc.

Spirit Shell, our new toy, (not a talent; just a baseline spell) is absoulutely insane if used properly, turns all your general healing spells (so not stuff like penance) into a bubble instead if healing, up to 60% of your own health.
    Interacts with your mastery, so if there is high damage, acts as a throughput cooldown as well (especially now as it works with Arcangel, which is 25% healing increase).

Lastly, and I think I speak for all disc priests when I say this, dungeons if you have a moderate to good group are an absoulute joy; apart from a few particular bosses/pulls (shado-pan... *shivers*) you can pretty much Smite/Holy Fire/Penance your enemies and your group will get healed through attonement. Makes stuff go a lot faster, and if you really try you can out-dps some DPS with some decent gear.

As for Holy, still probably, but better with less utility (as it should be).

Shadow is good DPS atm, middle of the pack, where it should be.
    AoE was a bit weak but I think they buffed mind sear recently.

Hope this helped.

P.s Stack spirit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Great reply Astroleon. Just wanted to add that AA is now part of the spec and therefore mandatory at a 25% boost to our heals in order to be competive in raids, or at least that seems to be the general consensus. This has made disc less enjoyable for me, but many love the change.

Disc is definitely more difficult now than it was in cata. I imagine blizz will change more things to make it a little easier to play disc at its best, since even some very experienced players are expressing some difficulties.

Overall we got a few new fun tools, but some feel this has made disc feel "clunky" and less fluid. This is of course rather subjective, and you may love everything new that MOP has brought to the table. For me it's a mixed bag. Spirit Shell is my favourite new ability by far, but it takes a fair bit of practice to time correctly.

Good luck. This expansion is huge, and i'm thrilled by most changes.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    Great reply Astroleon. Just wanted to add that AA is now part of the spec and therefore mandatory at a 25% boost to our heals in order to be competive in raids, or at least that seems to be the general consensus. This has made disc less enjoyable for me, but many love the change.

Disc is definitely more difficult now than it was in cata. I imagine blizz will change more things to make it a little easier to play disc at its best, since even some very experienced players are expressing some difficulties.

Overall we got a few new fun tools, but some feel this has made disc feel "clunky" and less fluid. This is of course rather subjective, and you may love everything new that MOP has brought to the table. For me it's a mixed bag. Spirit Shell is my favourite new ability by far, but it takes a fair bit of practice to time correctly.

Good luck. This expansion is huge, and i'm thrilled by most changes.
    Certainly feel the same, I feel like Disc was too easy in Cata, but now they've made it a bit too difficult. After mentioned buffs though it feels a bit better.

Also to OP: Spirit Shell now is sort of like a supercharged version of DA blanketing. You can still stack DA, but it's not really effective anymore.

And indeed, this expansion is huge, and despite what a loud few may say there is more to do in this expansion than there has ever been, and I am in love with that.
    I did some pet battles for the first time the other day, I loved it, but the fact that I couldn't grind it out right then because there was so much stuff to do was great.
    I've done one scenario, and I don't even have time to do any others.
    Dragon Soul was awful, but mostly because there was nothing to do outside of it and it was pretty lacklustre in itself. Now, I know when we (eventually) do all the raids, I'll have a lot of different stuff to check out, AND with 5.1 on the horizon, I know I'll be blissfully busy for a long time to come, with actual enjoyable different content.

By the way Kirse, I have always loved your sig. Gobble gobble Marbles gobble.

I specifically hate the daily grind, and refuse to do it. I am intensely offended by the lack of polish priests recieved. I am really pissed by the state of healing priests in PvP.

It is all too reminiscent of Cataclysm to me.

That all said, the posts above seem about right to me, and the issues I, and many other people have with MoP, are correctable.

Except, perhaps, the goddamn music.
    Last edited by Venaliter; 2012-10-14 at 05:59 AM.

Deleted
    Can't tell if you mean you liked the music or you hated it...

I personally think it's fantastic. Especially Valley Of The Four Winds...
    And whatever music is in Mogushan Vaults... it's so reminiscent of that music when you walk through the Dark Portal.

The lack of polish on priests is why I am asking about them. I have a shaman at 85 and a few other alts that are up there in level. But by far my priest was my favorite and that was the one I wanted to play.

I'm in the camp of play what you like. The class balance is constantly in flux with the pendulum swinging in different directions (classes). If you play a class because it's powerful now, you may hate it later once it gets balanced (don't nerf me bro!).