Germany pushes for male daycare workers.

Thought this was an interesting read.

Germany is, to the best of my knowledge, the first country to attempt to break down the stigma that men shouldn't work with children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Denmark is also trying to get some male ones at the current time. But yeah, personally I back this up completely.

It's a great goal I must admit, but I don't think the current situation is only about the stigma of "men shouldn't work with children". I'm a nursing student, and out of my class of 60 we have seven men, most of them being above 30 (at 19, I'm the youngest student in my class), and there's long been a campaign going on trying to recruit men, but alas, "nurse" is strictly perceived as a women's job, and most male nurses will specialize in first aid. I think this kindergarten teachers have a similar problem; much more young women than men want to work with children, and even if men were given some advantages in choosing progress, we'd still end up with more women. However, I do think little children (especially boys) need male role models and secure, adult men they can trust to take care of them. I definitely support this campaign and hope it'll break stereotypes of both men being bad with children and as kindergarten teacher being women's job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Thought this was an interesting read.

Germany is, to the best of my knowledge, the first country to attempt to break down the stigma that men shouldn't work with children.

It's something that a few European countries have been trying for some time. To put men into woman-dominated areas and vice versa.

Deleted
    Should start paying the Jobs better so you can actually live from it. Working with Children in Germany is mostly a Job for Foreigners who cant speak German that well

sad but true

Deleted
    I think this is a good thing. My 2 year old brother, his daycare, has absolutely no male people working in there, 0, nada, it's only women between their 20-25 and 29-45 years old.

I hope that this will spread around all countries.

Deleted
    Good for them and well done.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the spirit, Germany! =P

Deleted
    Good for them, it's great to be conscious of and try to combat negative stigma, but I wouldn't agree with hiring a less qualified male applicant than a more qualified female applicant, just in the interest of affirmative action. Though, I guess once a fault is pointed out, its almost instinctive to attempt to amend/correct it.

Deleted
    While I have no problem with men working in daycare and agree there should we men and women working everywhere

I don't think people will feel comfortable leaving their kid with an unknown male
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-10-14 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Good for them, it's great to be conscious of and try to combat negative stigma, but I wouldn't agree with hiring a less qualified male applicant than a more qualified female applicant, just in the interest of affirmative action. Though, I guess once a fault is pointed out, its almost instinctive to attempt to amend/correct it.
    Well of course. I hope they won't just put random, unqualified males just because they want to fight the stigma, that would make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    While I have no problem with men working in daycare and agree there should we men and women working everywhere

I don't think people will feel comfortable leaving their kid with an unknown male
    That's the stigma Germany is trying to fight. Why wouldn't a person have the same trust in a woman that takes care of children all day and can't have in a man? Just because it's a man?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post

Yeah because all males are rapist pedophiles, amiright?

Germany is doing a great thing. I hope it works out

In my opinion, average woman is better with kids than average man. That might be sexist, but that's how I see it.

If we're talking about above average human beings, I'd prefer them to be teachers, rather than daycare workers.

So I don't see it necessary for men to be encouraged to work as daycare workers.

I believe in Germany, they also redistribute college professors so that the good ones don't all cluster up in one place.
    This means every college student in the country will have approximately same education, it also means there will not be a Harvard (a great school) - therefore for great education, students have to go outside of Germany.

I don't believe homogenization is good for all aspects of society.