Learn about the limitations of demons

Would you rather:

Learn more about where your powers come from
    Learn more about the history of warlocks

Would you rather:

Solve puzzles
    Defeat monsters

---------- Post added 2012-09-19 at 11:22 AM ----------

No additional details will be forthcoming. Participate if you like having influence on some ideas.
    Last edited by Xelnath; 2012-09-19 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i voted for 'learn where demons come from' cause its a question i have asked previously and still really want to know, but in terms of 'story' i definitely like 'Causeing a problem and then being forced to fix it'

that sounds like good warlock drama right there

oh crap i voted before i realized it was a mutliple answer poll
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-09-19 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    i voted for 'learn where demons come from'
    I think the idea is to vote for up to four options. Each section is it's own thing. So one A choice, one B choice, etc.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, very cool Xelnath, you rock!

Of the choices I'm most intrigued by the "Solve Puzzles" part. I mean I can fight mobs every day of the week, I pretty much have to go out of my way NOT to fight them, but puzzle solving? that's a new one, DO WANT!

Since i dont know much about where the Power of warlocks comes from, and the background of where the warlocks originated from, i would want to know that (i do know a few facts about Gul'dan but thats about it ^^)

Demons and the limitations is also high up there in my interests about my class as a warlock.

Causing a problem just seems like it would be some quest stating "go there, fix that" not a fan of that. Puzzles are also not something i play WoW for and has nothing to do with Warlocks as a class anyway, so no interest in those 2 options. The rest does not even seem worth mentioning if its going to be a "warlock adventure" thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I think the idea is to vote for up to four options. Each section is it's own thing. So one A choice, one B choice, etc.
    yeah i kinda realized that too late.

well anyway, since i guess this would be an open forum for warlock-lore-quests. . . i'll throw ought some opinions. I feel like my warlock (gnome) is reckless, and chose to use fel magic without properly considering the danger of fel magic, he's very much the type that likes to watch things burn because it's funny, and would likely be sort of person who lights a building on fire only to find that he's innadvertantly trapped himself inside.

I like idea of learning more about warlocks as a whole, warlock history as opposed to personal story, and where demons come from rather than the limits of demons as we know them. I feel like puzzles and killing monsters can be balanced, any puzzle once it is solved will be explained on the internet for anyone to follow, but killing monsters can get tedious if it requires a lot grind.

addendum: I really liked the old Succubus quest that actually required a bit of travel and the flavor of ripping out the hearts of pure and honest men (horde side quest) that was funny.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-09-19 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am fascinated that in a forum for WoW players, "Solve puzzles" is trouncing "Defeat monsters". XD

Personally I ~love~ Zelda-style games where you mix killing with thinking through stuff, especially figuring out how to use tools and abilities to solve stuff. Parts of the Rogue Fangs chain were such a refreshing change and really made for a different and positive experience. I wish WoW had more of that, but I understand the design doesn't really support it.

As far as "A", while I generally prefer to solve problems IRL, in-game it's usually a lot more interesting when you mess something up since there's additional complexity to it. Either way you end up with a "Hey you, go fix this", but when it's just some other person's random issue you're a lot more detached from it.

For example, the old Alliance Voidwalker quest: some jerky guy is bitter some bitchy girl stole his jewelry and broke up with him. Go kill her and he'll teach you how to summon a smiling blue gas cloud.

vs. the Zenn Foulhoof quest in Teldrassil, when I was 100% brand new to the game I didn't even know what a Satyr was. So this weird dude who seems sort-of suspicious tells me "Kill a bunch of animals. Now." And I was like... OK, this has GOT to be a bad idea. But I wasn't sure if it was optional or what? So I killed a bunch of animals. Then I get to the next town and it's like "WHAT DID YOU DO?" and I'm like "uhhhhh ... uh-oh."

There was a lot more emotional investment in the second one, it was a lot more memorable and to this day I still remember the feeling of "oops" and dreading what my punishment would be. Obviously if you overdo this kind of storytelling it loses all meaning, but in periodic punctuating bursts it draws the player much more into the story imo.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2012-09-19 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    addendum: I really liked the old Succubus quest that actually required a bit of travel and the flavor of ripping out the hearts of pure and honest men (horde side quest) that was funny.
    I only ever did the Voidwalker quest way back when on my Belf warlock, I quit playing just around the time she had the level to start doing Succy quests. I don't remember the Alliance quests for our Demons being all that interesting, but maybe things had changed allready by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I only ever did the Voidwalker quest way back when on my Belf warlock, I quit playing just around the time she had the level to start doing Succy quests. I don't remember the Alliance quests for our Demons being all that interesting, but maybe things had changed allready by then.
    The Alliance Succubus quest was pretty memorable for me actually, since I had to hike all the way to Barrens in the middle of absolute hostile territory and then find some random guy in a tent in the middle of nowhere. Then I had to head all the way over to Ashenvale, again in scary hostile territory, and get a chunk of some magic love tree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Personally I ~love~ Zelda-style games where you mix killing with thinking through stuff, especially figuring out how to use tools and abilities to solve stuff. Parts of the Rogue Fangs chain were such a refreshing change and really made for a different and positive experience. I wish WoW had more of that, but I understand the design doesn't really support it.
    i agree, i love a little hit the switch, open a door, find a chest with a bomb in it, place the bomb onto a breakable floor plate, jump down into room with a monster that requires that new ability i just learned to defeat type games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    the Zenn Foulhoof quest in Teldrassil, when I was 100% brand new to the game I didn't even know what a Satyr was. So this weird dude who seems sort-of suspicious tells me "Kill a bunch of animals. Now." And I was like... OK, this has GOT to be a bad idea. But I wasn't sure if it was optional or what? So I killed a bunch of animals. Then I get to the next town and it's like "WHAT DID YOU DO?" and I'm like "uhhhhh ... uh-oh."

I had this exact same experience because my first character ever was a Nelf druid and I had no idea what was going on, I remember seeing my repuation with Darnassus drop and I thought "OH no! i am going to be hated by... I don't even know who... and i don't know why it matter... but i am sorry! Please like me again."

cause a problem, and have others to fix it for me.

voted for puzzles, since it's not something we have in wow..

Deleted
    All of them, nothing is worse than having to grind out stuff/rep constantly (like the legendary staff quest). Having problem solving, lore discovery mixed in with a bit of killing monsters makes good quest design imo. I would definitely like to be the main protagonist though!
    It would be cool to have summoned something I shouldn't have, it escapes, que personal lore discovery quest, gain knowledge, defeat said nasty summoned thing. Win Green fire.
    Last edited by mmocba53877738; 2012-09-19 at 07:39 PM.

I chose "Defeat Monsters" 'cause that's the only thing I care about in this game.

I love lore discovery and any kind of quest to increase my demonic power. To drain the souls of my fallen victims and learn how to become more powerful. To learn about those that came before me and how to harness thier dark power so that I myself can become more powerful. The essence of a warlock...

---------- Post added 2012-09-19 at 12:51 PM ----------

Oh and if its not to much to ask. Cinematics!!! Something dark,evil, and epic!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we have plenty of monster to defeat already

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Causing a problem and being forced to fix it almost sounds like we can succeed where Wilfred Fizzlebang failed. In our quest for power we bite off more than we can chew, but our arrogance isn't, in fact, our undoing.

I don't feel too strongly one way or another when it comes to puzzles vs. fighting. Being forced to think is interesting, but then again so are tests of your might (and perhaps how you grasp the tools that are available particularly to Warlocks in an encounter).

10+ Year Old Account
    wouldn't it be fun/funny if the quest chain actually WAS a choose your own adventure quest?
    oh memories of fifth grade social awkwardness flooding back to me.

Solve problems? I'm a Warlock. I cause problems. I am a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the poll is reaching a concensus: We must solve puzzles... and defeat monsters! *polishes Hookshot*

10+ Year Old Account
    the poll sample is still pretty small; but a lot of these parings are not even necessarily mutually exclusive