View Poll Results: Should I upgrade the computer or build a new one?

Voters
3. This poll is closed
  • Upgrade it.

0 0%
  • Buy a new one.

3 100.00%
    Deleted

Upgrade current computer or buy a new one?

Hey everyone!

My current computer is kinda old already. I run Guild Wars 2 at mostly low settings. And even like this, my fps drops to like 15 during big events.

My computer's stats are:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS

If I upgrade the graphics card, I think the game should run just fine. But I would have to buy one that fits into PCI-e 2.0, because my motherborad does not support 3.0. But if I chose a 3.0 graphics card, I have to replace the motherboard, and in that case I'm also buying a new CPU, RAM, so I kinda replace my whole computer.

What do you suggest I do?
    Buy a new graphics card? Which one?
    Build a whole new computer? In that case please help me with suggestions. Price range would be between 500 and 800€, considering I already have the SSD drive, but kinda need to buy all the rest.

Deleted
    This really should be in the Computer and Performance sticky

Like you said; upgrading one or two components would cause a knock-on effect, meaning you would need to upgrade more and more components to get them to run at their maximum potential.

I would buy a whole new rig if i were you. OverclockersUK do some powerful rigs for only a few hundered notes but im not sure if they ship outside of the UK. If youre tech savvy then you might want to check out Scan for individual components

I always thought the computer build suggestions on the MMO page I see every once in a while were pretty good. Might search one of those for some great combos that stick together. I agree with BradersVal that it doesn't turn into a replace one or two and triumph, you gotta replace the whole thing to get the most out of newer parts.

Deleted
    Ok thx for suggestions. I guess it's time to build a new computer then.

All PC questions in relation to the game should be posted here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ormance-thread

- Fencers