Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Multi-universes/ Time Travel?

I am in Grade 11 atm and in Biology we started Evolution. After awhile I thought of something completely weird and I need help figuring it out. Is there time travel but we don't know of it?, let me explain more the universe is 14 billion years old? (give or take) and I was born 1996. I technically missed all of those ears and I never had to wait it was just there. So my question is if I was born in 1994 and missed all of the years before me but I didn't feel the time it took me to here, can that be said for our great, great, great great grand child? Are they already living in their world? Like this go my really thinking and I would like some ot explain this deeper (if possible).

steins gate says what?
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    steins gate says what?
    This is the choice of Steins Gate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    let me explain more the universe is 14 billion years old? (give or take) and I was born 1996. I technically missed all of those ears and I never had to wait it was just there.
    What is this I don't even

So my question is if I was born in 1994 and missed all of the years before me but I didn't feel the time it took me to here, can that be said for our great, great, great great grand child? Are they already living in their world? Like this go my really thinking and I would like some ot explain this deeper (if possible).
    You didn't exist before you were born. Neither will your children.

I don't know what you were saying, but IF time travel was widespread in the future at ANY point in the future, we would've already noticed it by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say what this conversation could really use is...a Doctor.

Time travel is possible but would require exotic matter, and technology beyond our understanding. Time travel can only occur from just after the time machine was started, or later, and only if it stays on between the time it was turned on and the time from which the person from the future came from.

Your other quandry would have to do with consciousness and there is no consensus of what consciousness is exactly. I would say it is just an emergent property of brain cells firing and nothing bizarre like quantum entanglement.
    Last edited by sophos1; 2012-10-13 at 06:43 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    I don't know what you were saying, but IF time travel was widespread in the future at ANY point in the future, we would've already noticed it by now.
    not necicarily....yay spelling

time travel forward intime....is already possible but we cant do it (traveling around a highly dense high gravity object [blackhole] or traveling at 99.999...% the speed of light) will send you forward in time theoretically travel back in time has its problems and the #1 disproval is the grandfather paradox you go back in time killin your grand father hence you were never born but still exist...#2 is the cartoon thing (step in poop cause WW3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

Microwave time machine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    I am in Grade 11 atm and in Biology we started Evolution. After awhile I thought of something completely weird and I need help figuring it out. Is there time travel but we don't know of it?, let me explain more the universe is 14 billion years old? (give or take) and I was born 1996. I technically missed all of those ears and I never had to wait it was just there. So my question is if I was born in 1994 and missed all of the years before me but I didn't feel the time it took me to here, can that be said for our great, great, great great grand child? Are they already living in their world? Like this go my really thinking and I would like some ot explain this deeper (if possible).
    I think what you are getting at has less to do with time travel and more with relativity and perception.

Yes, from the perception of your future grand-son he is already living his own life, relatively. Just as your point in the universe started in 1996 and grew out from there, his shall do the same whenever he is born.

Of course this is only a theory, but other theories like the multi-verse help give it some weight. All things and lives exist both at the same time and at different times, relative to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    Time travel is possible but would require exotic matter
    The Alcubierre drive? That's not time travel.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 07:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Obby View Post

time travel forward intime....is already possible but we cant do it (traveling around a highly dense high gravity object [blackhole] or traveling at 99.999...% the speed of light) will send you forward in time theoretically travel back in time has its problems and the #1 disproval is the grandfather paradox you go back in time killin your grand father hence you were never born but still exist...#2 is the cartoon thing (step in poop cause WW3)
    That's not really "sending" you forward. You're just experiencing time at a different rate.

To add;

The reason why the clocks on our GPS satellites must be constantly adjusted is because the clocks on the satellite runs ever so slightly faster than those on earth.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

time travel forward intime....is already possible but we cant do it
    technically you are doing it...
    gravitational time dilation experienced by astronauts on the ISS would also say otherwise (in regards to traveling "through" time at a rate equal to that experienced on earth)!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    technically you are doing it...
    gravitational time dilation experienced by astronauts on the ISS would also say otherwise (in regards to traveling "through" time at a rate equal to that experienced on earth)!
    Right, but what you're talking about is pre-primitive compared to real time-travel.

It's equivalent to skipping a rock over a pond and claiming you figured out fluid dynamics. Sure, you can prove that you've done it but you can't prove any sort of mastery over it.

isn't time all about how fast you can travel in comparison to everything else?

If you discovered that in 1994 you can travel at the speed of light. If you spent perhaps 30 seconds running at the speed of light, when you're done...maybe 50 years has already passed for everyone else. You feel like you have time traveled to the future and everyone will think you have come from the past.

Time travel to the future is better understood then time travel to the past. Time travel to the past is complex and full of theory and contradictions - i.e if u travel back in time to prevent your parents from meeting, then you would never be born, but if you were never born how can you travel back and prevent them from meeting up? The best theory that supports the possibility that backwards time travel is that there are multiple threads of time, that every action and decision anyone makes has a separate weave - this means that everything in life is predetermined and nothing is a coincidence. In other words there is no "free will". If you decide to travel back and shoot your father, then all this means is that in his world, you will no longer exist and when you travel back to your time you will be alive and well since it is a different thread of time...

Quote Originally Posted by devilbesideyou View Post
    isn't time all about how fast you can travel in comparison to everything else?
    That's not so much travelling through time as it is experiencing time faster. As much as that sounds like an oxymoron.

Time travel to the future is better understood then time travel to the past. Time travel to the past is complex and full of theory and contradictions
    It's more like we have no theoretical framework for travelling backwards in time, whereas time dilation (if you accept that as time travel - I don't) is a well understood phenomenon.

I am pretty sure we can make time machines now...but think of the consequences by doing so. So I think scientist will not make time machines.

Time machine would be one of the biggest mistake humanity will make.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    I am pretty sure we can make time machines now...
    How would we do that? o.O

More interesting is that we see images of the past.

When we observe or measure the light of a star or a galaxy, we see/measure an image which is millions or even billions of years old, because of the time taken by that light to reach our world.